mybespokeroom

Tinsel: Love it or Loathe it?

My Bespoke Room
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Image Credit: creativity103.com

This is a surprisingly divisive question amongst many couples and families...

Have you held on to that tinsel over the years? That 1970's staple was once a major part of the British Christmas, hung from every tree, mantelpiece, archway and classroom until the whole world dazzled.

Did you ever use it as a fancy Christmas boa? ;-)

In recent years, tinsel has fallen out of favour. In a world trending with all things nordic, wooden and metal ornaments and a stripped back decor seem to be dominating our Instagram feeds!

BUT last year, John Lewis' tinsel sales rose a whopping 70%.

SO, where do you sit in this debate? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

(If you've got any great photos of your tinsel usage, then share them with us below, we'd love to see them! :) )

Love it!
Loathe It!

Comments (7)

• Emmanuelle
    5 years ago
    Cheap tinsels are not recyclable, and therefore detrimental to the environment. They can only go to landfills. I use the ones I have had for years, but haven’t bought any new ones for quite a while. There are plenty of alternatives , and now, you can even find recyclable/ sustainable ones... I watched a programme on bbc few weeks ago, which has really opened my eyes about Xmas decorations in general.
    My Bespoke Room thanked Emmanuelle
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Love it! It is a fun! and spirit It is so Christmassy! Just for short holiday time ...

My Bespoke Room thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • nasmijati
    5 years ago
    I think when tinsel was actually made of thin strips from tin and carefully saved and used from year to year was better, as it could be recycled into other tin products.

I think plastic tinsel is a waste of the world's manufacturing and transportation resources. It is usually not recyclable.

In addition, individual strands of plastic tinsel can accidentally be ingested by pets, resulting in a trip to the veterinarian.
    My Bespoke Room thanked nasmijati
  • PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    5 years ago

I am not a fan of tinsel on a Christmas tree but it looks nice around a door frame or on a table. It looks great at the moment on our desks at work :)

My Bespoke Room thanked bubbles bathrooms and tiles
  • Chris Goodchild
    5 years ago

I could give Scrooge a good run for his money, I just see Christmas now as a marketing exercise to sell stuff that wouldn't really sell much otherwise.

Having children around makes it more interesting but my daughter is now in her twenties.

When lived in California a lot of the trees were decorated with popcorn threaded on cotton which looked more like snow and was I suppose more environmentally friendly, but a lot of work.

My Bespoke Room thanked Chris Goodchild
  • saxonend2
    3 years ago

I love tinsel. It is the thing I most associate with Christmas and I think the word itself is the best. We have tinsel that is 30 years old still going so while it may not be recyclable, at least we haven't had to replace it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.