doniepony

doniepony
I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or comments on my current ground floor layout. Will be starting a build in next month so want to finalise any changes with the builders this week. Any comments welcome. Regards.

Eggleston Farkas Architects
    These things are subjective and depend on your lifestyle, climate, etc., but here are a few things I'd consider if it was my house (asuming no change to the footprint and basic layout):

1. Find a way to add a coat closet by the front door (this may be a regional isue - I'm in Seattle)
    2. Too much"wasted" space north of the stair - maybe add a utility closet
    3. Living, Sitting, and Sun are redundant with same size and layout. Omit wall between living and entry so it is one larger space (or possibly add double pocket doors if you need to be able to close it off). Move door to sitting next to study so it can serve as a family/guest (with better bath access). As it is now you head into the side of the sofa - not very graceful. Open wall east of living fireplace to kitchen/dining, similar to other side.
    4. Why so many doors? Omit doors to dining and living so act as open flow spaces.
    5. Square off corner at utility. Angled walls waste space. Put door directly to dining (?). Maybe add counter/storage on both sides of utility room - move door to east (possibly with glazed door and omit window).
    6. Don't like walking past shower to get to sink and toilet. Order should be sink, toilet, shower. May need to move window.
    7. Couches backed against bay windows seem a little strange.
    8. Kitchen - I'd look into a north counter with sink at center, Then about a 4 ft aisle and an island (running east/west with the cooktop. Fridge would go on the north wall. Possibly have a wall of full height cabinets along the east wall (possibly with fridge). North wall fridge location probably better because you could do a deeper cabinet that matches the fridge so it has a more built-in feel. Doing this on the east wall would narrow the space too much.
    9. Align east wall of kitchen with east wall of living (seem to be just off).

I hope at least some of these thoughts will be of use for your fine-tuning the design to suit your lifestyle and needs.
  • bepsf
    I agree that the bathroom is laid out poorly: plumbing should be on the other wall to share with plumbing in utility room, with tub/shower at the back, sink nearest the door and toilet in the middle.

Sitting room should have a door to the back hall.

Living room should have an open archway to the front hall, and if you're intending to leave the fireplace where it is - it should be double-sided so that the kitchen can have the advantage of it as well. The doorway to the kitchen should be an open archway as well.

Yes, a nice large closet should be beneath the staircase or just behind - and yes, those angled doors are most awkward.
  • Related Discussions

Need help choosing a handle for a contemporary door

Q

I looked at door on houzz for a short time. Seems as though a few things come into play. If you want to accentuate the vertical lines of your entrance, go vertical. If you want a more understated look whereby we see your door and panels as one -- then go either same color as door on the handle if possible and the only things showing will be the lock. I prefer a smaller handle or a horizontal plane for a handle because horizontal is a more relaxed look. vertical creates tension. So, look under: Photos, then Modern, and type Front door in the search parameter. Hope this is helpful. :=)
    ...See More

first home renovation help please!

Q

Wow! Hampstead Design Hub, those ideas and images are fab! We love the first image with the bright colours used against the grey. Also love the yellow and grey, which is becoming a popular combination, but never thought to mix in purple - love it! Look forward to seeing what you do graccy, best of luck!
    ...See More

replace extension with glass?

Q

Hi all We are interested in a terrace house with a full width extension to the rear, half two story (flat roof) other single story flat roof. Attached pic shows it and dimensions. I have north & south drawn on. There is no roof windows to let any light in. I think replacing the single story with a glass side extension could be great. Attached is one that spiked my interest. Would it be pointless getting on considering it is north facing? Or should we look at extending the second story at the shower room and bedroom 3 for ensuite and walkin closet? TIA
    ...See More

Sideboard accessorising/dining area

Q

Hi there, I have a open plan living/dining /kitchen. The shape is narrowish L shape with the dining area in the middle. I have a sideboard opposite the dining table. I have two questions. 1.how do I stop this area feeling like a walkway instead if it’s own space, and 2. How do I accessories my sideboard well. Ie lamps etc. Thank you!
    ...See More
    Estate Homes
    I agree with the other posts, especially in the redundancy of the sitting rooms. I think one thing lacking is a casual dining area, and I also think the kitchen layout doesn't function well, and could be larger.

Consider removing the wall between the kitchen and "living room", and changing the living room to the dining room. You could then add an island to the kitchen with a breakfast bar. You could also add a butler's pantry between the kitchen and dining rooms.

I hope this helps!
    Dytecture
    This is kind of a summary of all the inputs without alternating the plan too much.
    Eggleston Farkas Architects
    That's looking a lot better. A few followup comments:

1. I agree with bepsf that the opening to the dining (formerly living) from the entry should be an "archway" or similar opening. A pair of pocket doors would work or make sure the french doors can open 180 degrees and stay out of the way. Similarly, I'd add an opening (with french doors if you must) on the other side of the fireplace to match the ones you have.
    2. I'd flip the door to the utility room to the left so it aligns with the exterior door. Much more efficient use of space OR (better yet) flip the exterior door to the east and move the countertop to the other side. This way the door won't be as visible from the entry, you'll get more countertop, and the flow will be better.
    3. Sitting room - if you need to keep the entrance from the front hall, why not move the fireplace to the southeast corner, flip the couch to the north wall and use this as your formal living room (and no door). The flow into the room will be much better. It also gives you much better use of the bay window. Then you can use the room now labeled "living room" as your more informal sitting/family room.
    4. Squeezing past the shower to enter the powder room is still awkward.
    5. Kitchen - it looks like the island (I assume that's what's in the middle) should move to the west to give yourself enough space to have a usable counter on the east wall. 4'6" is a pretty good distance between counters.. You seem to have more space than you need between the island and the patio doors. There's also a lot of inefficient space between the fireplace and island. I'd make sure that there's either enough room for a small table, or just make the island and east wall cabinets longer.
    6. One last thought - since you rearranged the use of the rooms, had you considered switching between the dining and living? I think this would make things work even better. If you do, I'd go back to my comment of opening the sitting room from the study ha
    Eggleston Farkas Architects
    Often a sketch is better than a verbal description. Here's one for you (with a few additional options thrown in).
    Estate Homes
    Very nice!
    Dytecture
    Yes !!! so much better to sketch it out instead of me trying to photoshop the image ... I'd love to live in this house.
    Mona Ives
    Everyone else has noted the most important elements - I feel it necessary to chime in that you don't need a study, sunroom, living room. Your dining space seems inadequate and eats into the kitchen too much. Use one of the adjacent spaces for more dining area...perhaps where you currently have the living room. Also agree on closets and doors. Another good place might be to go to a kitchen designer and see what they recommend for your practical issues in the kitchen. This will determine how much space you need in there, and then where your dining should be. Many of my clients who have bought a recent home complain that for the size of the kitchen, it's not that functional, so pay close attention to that.
  • doniepony
    Thanking you all for your input. In process of changing plans incorporating some of your ideas. Great to have so much feedback
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.