louisehodgson62

I need a pop of colour...

Noidea
5 years ago

Ive attached pics of my lounge. Whilst it all goes well together I feel it needs some other colour to bring it to life and stop it looking all matchy matchy. This could then be used for accessories and curtains. The suite is the most comfortable I've ever had, yet has hardly been used so cant justify having it re-covered really.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Comments (39)

• janegrayshon
    5 years ago
    I think that sage green would look lovely I've added a photo just so you can see how the two colours work really well together good luck
    Noidea thanked janegrayshon
  • Related Discussions

Need help picking backsplash tiles and wall paint colours

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you for your suggestions and ideas! I love some of the more daring/colourful ideas, but I don't think I'm, personally, bold enough to go with such a contemporary look. I'm going to stick to a traditional/modern style and use large (4" x 8") white subway tiles and dark grey grout. I'm thinking of using a dark grey paint around the kitchen walls and then a lighter shade around the rest of the room, with maybe the dark grey on the wall behind the TV too. Will be a few more weeks before that's all done, but I'll post a picture when I eventually get there. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Grey sofa colours to pop

Q

Comments (5)
    Kimdee24 ~ just the right amount of turquoise and distributed nicely through out the room. and i love the pop of red... Being a lover of turquoise.. that colour gets my vote!
    ...See More

Need help choosing a colour for kitchen/living/hallway - same colour!

Q

Comments (1)
    Can you attach a photo / link of the sample of the floor tile being used?
    ...See More

I need help with paint colour for my living room and kitchen walls

Q

Comments (15)
    We just painted a color called "Latte" over the dark red walls in our place and we keep thinking that someone left the light on! It adds that much light to the place as the red was just sucking out any light in the place. Find a color you like more for that wall and repaint...and/or maybe add a ceramic tile backsplash? It will make it feel brighter in there immediately as you will get a lot of light reflection. I love the idea of sage green with your cabinets.
    ...See More
  • Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Interesting that green is both your opinions. It's not a colour I'd considered as I'm not a huge fan generally, but maybe I should try a couple of cushions (luckily there's a Dunelm close by so I can play around with colours). Any other colour thoughts?

I cant paint the walls just yet as I paid a hideous amount of money both for the wallpaper, and to have it decorated, only recently. so its definktely got to be ore the accessories. The room is west facing.

Would anyone suggest I move furniture around or change anything else?

• janegrayshon
    5 years ago
    I don’t think you need to move furniture about but that is personal preference, I do think sage green is your better option it works really well with red maybe get a couple of throws and some cushions with sage red in them
  • janegrayshon
    5 years ago
    Just had another look at the photos of your room I don't mean to sound rude but I don't think your curtains are doing the room any favours I'm really not a fan of short curtains they always seem very shot off if you have the money to change them perhaps floor length ones would look better and that would make the room feel cosier I would also choose a plain material as you already have a lot of pattern in your furniture I do hope this helps
  • Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay - I'm off to Dunelm tomorrow on the hunt for sage green. Will see what I can find and take some pics of them in situ. Would you change all the cushions, or intersperse them with some of the existing ones? I'm not good with throws either - where would you put one?

I will also embrace some plants - I may even try to nurture a couple of real ones rather than the fakes i have elsewhere in the house.

I really appreciate both of your input. I can see myself becoming addicted to this website!

• Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jane - its not rude, it's honest! I totally agree with you - the curtains do nothing for me either (although I thought I'd made it when I got them bespoke from Laura Ashely 8 years ago...) and tthe room has evolved since then although the suite's still the same one.

I never close the curtinas becasue they look even heavier and out of proportion then! I just didnt want to change them without knowing what colour I should be changing them for.

The blinds give enough privacy in the evening so maybe I could just 'dress' the windows? Would you suggest floor length for the bay too, even though no-one will see them due to the sofa position? Should I just go for a subtle plain green?

• janegrayshon
    5 years ago
    To be honest I would change all the cushions maybe just have 2 at either side and place a throw over the middle section of your sofa so it drapes over the back or you could just drape it over the arm of the sofa post more pictures do we can see the finished look btw I love your furniture looks very regal
  • janegrayshon
    5 years ago
    Hi I would change all the curtains to match it will just finish your room off
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

This is a fab site! Everyone is so nice and helpful. It’s the only social media I do (can’t stand Facebook or Twitter!). I would just play about with the new sage cushions and your current ones until you find a mix you are happy with. You could place them, take a photo and try another mixture and take a photo until you are happy. That’s what I did - I borrowed cushions from different rooms and mixed them with what I had - those poor cushions were being moved for days on end! Throws can be draped over the arm of a sofa, or draped over the back or laid across the seating, so many options. Here’s a few ideas for throw draping!

Noidea thanked Sonia
  • Bow Sward
    5 years ago
    I would also consider either staining the pine TV table darker - your other wooden items are dark - or paint it in a tone of the sage green
    Noidea thanked Bow Sward
  • Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree, I have learned so much just browsing the site this evening! Interesting you say it looks 'regal' Jane, I always thing it looks just a tad too formal which is why I want to do something else to it. The darker furniture is mostly 'pre-loved' (second hand) from a local quasi-antiques place.

I do have a throw on a chair in another room, but my husband always thinks they look untildy and as if they're trying to cover something up! Maybe I need to learn to be a bit more artistic with how I place them. But hey - he doesn't spend any time in this room unless we have visitors...it's mainly my domain ;)

• Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great idea to paint the TV table Bowsward...i have a simila one in the other room too - maybe that could benefit from a lick of paint as well! Much food for thought here....

• Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh no - my minds in overdrive now. Re the bay window - if I hang full length curtains from the existing rail they are going to 'crease' where the window ledge is. Would it make sense to have a rail of some sort straight across and just drape curtains either side of the wall as a dressing?

• Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay - agter a mad shop around Dunelm I've changed a few bits. THere isnt much available in green weirdly so I had to try what they had. Saw these tartan ones too but not sure if they work?

Shouold I be changing ALL the cushions to green or leaving a few of the gold ones?

Not sure if the throw's the right one, but just for an idea...

And looking at the pics the green is not particularly noticable but is slightly more in real life. Do I go a shade deeper?

• E D
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think those pops of green help already! Yes, maybe pick a slightly darker green.

Also, in these photos your room looks much better thanks to the natural light.

I think perhaps don’t use the red cushions. Although it’s nice to have a colour theme, you probably want to avoid red overload.

• User
    5 years ago

I think one of my gorgeous floral vase canvases would like amazing in your lounge and help bring it all together. It would lovely with the green and red... please see photos of one I have done recently! If you would like to discuss an exclusive design, please email me at petalart@mail.com.

• Sonia
    5 years ago

The green is perfect and really lifts the scheme. I think the tartan ones are lovely but much too dark. A green/beige tartan would, I think look better. I bought some green checked cushions in Dunelm a month ago. They are a tweed/cotton mix and have a rustic look. Laura Ashley do some lovely country style cushions which may be worth a look? Think they’ve got a sale on. Certainly an improvement already. Don’t forget if you order online you have 30 days to return them so that gives you breathing time, but keep the labels on!

• Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks. The tartan ones will be returned. I didnt see any green check ones, will have another loook tomorrow.

What about the throw. Should I go plain - not sure it doesnt look a bit wishy washy...

Would a green rug inder the coffee table tie it in a bit more do you think? (Oh and does anyone want to buy various lovely gold cushions? Looks like they'll be mostly going!

I also introduced a couple of (fake) plants which have helped too.

• janegrayshon
    5 years ago
    It's looking better already, have you looked on amazon for throws I've had a quick look and there are some lovely ones that ,you might like
  • Charnelle Els
    5 years ago
    Looking better already. I would change the curtains to floor length cream ones, even if they're purely decorative.
    Noidea thanked Charnelle Els
  • T Gray
    5 years ago

It's looking lovely. I have a red/green them in my living room too and have the brocade flower Laura Ashley cushions like Forzaitalia :) Corny as it sounds, my favourite thing about a red green theme is that it feels a bit Christmassy all year :)

Noidea thanked T Gray
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Louise look at Dunelm site online, they have loads of green cushions. You can click and collect so that you don’t have a wasted journey. I think a green rug would be green overload - you don’t want to go too matchy matchy. Your honey coloured walls/carpet are a good neutral backdrop, The green checked throw is really nice and adds some pattern in a gentle way. You could sell your gold cushions on gumtree or eBay, but wait until the room is done in case you want to keep them. Don’t forget you can add a few green accessories. Your artwork is lovely by the way. I agree plain curtains would tone it down a bit. I Happy shopping!

Noidea thanked Sonia
  • Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This has been a brilliant experience so far. I really apprecaite everyone's input and am going to enjopy hunting things out. It'smaking me start to 'love' the room again.

Just a question about the curtains at the bay window - what are the opinions on whether i just do a straight track across the front of the bay with the curtains just 'dressing' (i never feel the need to close them really). Or what about doing this style of thing which dress the big picture windows in the dining area? (sorry - photo's not brlliant)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

Too much heavy red color. I would feel tired soon in room. You did good changes.

Here is my rendering. I would get bigger rug and move coffee table closer to sofas.

May be even lighter walls

Noidea thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Noidea thanked T Gray
  • Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sadly all the Range ones are out of stock - but what great prices! I'll bob into Laura Ashley today and have a look at the others - not sure the hedgerow one will be green enough though?I'll move the table and see what difference it makes. Also need to consider darkening the TV unit as suggested...

• Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

one trip to Laura AShley later....(well there is 40% off until tomorrow!!) and here is what it looks like now. I picked a couple of 'pistachio' as well as the darker green velvet cushions. I'm not toally convinced about the tartan ones? I bought the matching throw but dont like that as much as the cheapie I have.

• verdigrisjane
    5 years ago
    The sage green accessories look fab. I think what has happened is that you have chosen a traditional Regency combination - the stripes in red and pale gold, gone with that colour scheme throughout and ended with a scheme that you feel is too formal. My suggestion would be to embrace the sage as green is complementary to the red and go along with the long curtain suggestion. I’d also look at some dramatic large plants because they would be a great sculptural contrast and maybe looking at the ambient lighting would also help with the atmosphere.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Looking much better. It’s amazing what new cushions and a throw can do! I think the main area that dominates is the regency stripe sofas and the curtains.. I think simple curtains to tone in with your walls (soft gold?) would calm everything down. Re your query over the curtain rail in the bay window - it looks fine as it is. I know curtains can be pricey if you have them made to measure, but so many places (Dunelm, Laura Ashley etc) do ready made curtains at a very good price. It’s lovely to read your “journey” and see how things are progressing.

Noidea thanked Sonia
  • ruby789
    5 years ago

I think plain floor length curtains to match the wall are a wonderful idea.

I would also like to see you swap the matte black coffee table to something the shines, perhaps a glass top in an oval or round shape.

As an alternative to green, perhaps blue? Please excuse my very crude mock up. I know its not your exact sofa, but just to give a general impression.

On the floral sofa I'd have two plain (but textured cushions) on one end (in the accent colour of choice), and then a throw that matches the curtains draped over back of the other end.

Noidea thanked ruby789
  • janegrayshon
    5 years ago
    Wow it's looking great now but I think I'm with you on the tartan cushions I would take them back as you already have a busy patterned sofa and chair and also the same colour full length curtains as your walls will finish the room off, well done it looks lovely
  • Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I couldnt have done all this without you all! Still work in progress though, I am ltaking on board everone's comment - I cant move for cushions right now! I tool the Hedgerow throw back to Lauea Ashley and they said they're not meant to take them back if they've been taken out of the wrapping and unfilded!! How ridicuklous is that - you dont know until you have a play whether you'll want to keep it or not! Anyway they agreed to do it or me - mind you they might not be so happy when i return the tartan cushions tomorrow as well! And the pale green pistachio ones are probably going back too - a bit wishy washy and too much plain velvet going on methinks.

I'll keep updating my progress...

• Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello again everyone! I've been playing around a bit & now posess quite a few Laura Ashley cushions and a couple of throws. I have lifted the rug for now too. I have bought a couple of harlequin cushions today as I loved them but not sure they work? (Ive only put one on for now...)

Am also toying with the idea of moving the big sofa to where the smaller one is and vice versa but maybe having the big sofa along that wall will make it look like a waiting room?

I will definitely be changing the curtains in the New Year. I'm tempted to take the existing ones down even now, but it would probably look too stark without them.

(the last image wasnt meant to be there but I dont know how to delete it - any ideas please??)

• User
    5 years ago
    Much better without the rug!
    Noidea thanked User
  • Noidea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello, I'm back again. No further on with the curtains but am intending to change that soon. In the meantime I do want to do as @Bow Sward suggested: "I would also consider either staining the pine TV table darker - your other wooden items are dark - or paint it in a tone of the sage green". I think probably staining is better as it will be more in keeping with the other furniture, but how do I go about choosing the right producr and colour? Any suggestions please?

• Noidea
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello everyone...i'm back! i honestly thought i'd lost this thread and only just found it this evening. I learned so much from you all, and i've finally got round to sorting the curtains (with assistance from a lovely local interior designer - who was of the same mind as you lovely lot!) I wil ltake photos once they are in place.

i still havent got round to darkening the tv cabinet (it sounded so complicated when i asked someone to stain it - because its already waxed apparently which makes it difficult to get a good finish?) And think the coffee table may be too small for the room...

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.