leeschipper

Installing pavers to abutt new retaining wall

leeschipper
5 years ago

I want to make sure I am not making my job more difficult than it needs to be...

I am cutting into a slope, installing a curved retaining wall (dry-stack retaining wall block) to hold back the slope, and installing pavers to make a patio which butts up against the retaining wall. (So, the retaining wall rises above the pavers - the pavers are *not* sitting on top of the wall.)

The question I have regards whether to install the wall first and cut the pavers to fit the curve of the wall, or to install the pavers first and install the wall to butt up against the pavers.

I assume that best would be install the wall first (compact and level the retaining wall base, and install and backfill at least the first couple of rows) and then install the pavers (grade and compact the paver base, then install the pavers, cutting them to fit the wall). However, cutting the pavers to fit the existing wall will be a pain.

Installing the pavers first would make cutting the pavers a lot easier, but since best practice is to bury the first row of dry-stack wall blocks, that means when I install the wall I'll have to excavate down next to the installed pavers, and I worry that would compromise the paver base, and create problems in the long run.

Easiest would be to have both the pavers and the retaining wall block sitting on the same level base. This would have just the lower 2" or so of the retaining buried. This would probably be "good enough" and would be tempting, except that the retaining wall base should be level for a stable wall, while the pavers' base needs to be sloped (1% to 2%) to accommodate drainage and some other things going on at the site - So the two cannot share the same level base.

Am I making things more difficult for myself? Would I create problems if I installed the pavers first, and then dug down 1" or 2" into that compacted base to create a level base for the retaining wall block?

Or is the a better way entirely?

Sorry for the long question - hopefully it makes sense.

Comments (6)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.