archiekennedy

Internal woodwork, stained MATT or GLOSS? Quick help needed!

archiekennedy
5 years ago

My 22 year old home has a lot of woodwork. Doors and door frames, skirting, banister rails, dado rails throughout.

Currently, all the woodwork is stained MATT finish. I suspect it's been like that since the house was built, and I suspect it's never been stained since.

My decorator has turned up with GLOSS wood stain (Sadolin). He's done the ensuite, just to see how it looks. I'm not sure. It might just be that the GLOSS looks different. It's probably not important in the great scheme of things.

Should I go with GLOSS, or stick with MATT finish? I need to make the decision today!

photo 1 GLOSS, photo 2 MATT

Comments (11)

• Daisy England
    5 years ago
    I prefer a matt wood stain. Perhaps the previous owner didn’t want the hassle of top coating all the woodwork every time he decorated.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I would agree - gloss will make the wood look a bit 'cheap'

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

I'm in the matt camp too.

• archiekennedy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We have agreed to go with MATT. He's doing it tomorrow. Thank you for your help in making this decision.

• artisan_1
    5 years ago
    Right decision!
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Is painting them out of the question? Just thought I’d ask. Anyhow good luck :)
  • PRO
    Philip Clay Kitchen Designs LTD
    5 years ago

Stick with matt! Great decision!

• PRO
    Ikonografik Design
    5 years ago
    I generally prefer satin, half way between Matt and gloss. Ask about satin.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

I personally would paint them in satinwood or eggshell paint in either fresh white, or a soft off white. I think that pine look is dated, sorry. If it must be varnish then definitely matt.

• Emily
    5 years ago
    I would paint too, doesn’t have to be white though, depends on the style of the rest of your home. And door doesn’t have to be same as rest of woodwork. I’ve painted my pine doors and woodwork dark in my current house and in my last house I painted all the doors off black but kept all the woodwork white since all the walls were white there.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.