peterreader

From Rags to Riches –a garden story | NE London suburban modern garden

The client had recently purchased this 1930s detached house in Winchmore Hill, north-east London that needed an internal make-over and updating. They were in the process of gutting the house and adding a new back to it including rear facing bedrooms and wide garden facing French doors, so a garden solution was required as well and Peter Reader Landscapes was retained to provide this. The garden itself was derelict with a broken-up patio area and chunks of old concrete strip foundations through the wider space. There was also a significant slope to manage with a rise of over 2.0m over the 20m length.

The clients wanted the garden developed into a clean lined modern space with structural planting and which incorporated a good size garden office. They wanted room for outside entertaining and also an area of lawn that children could play on. The levels needed managing and rationalising to create functional terraced space and opportunities for structural planting.

The solution was to create a large patio on the back of the house for a BBQ and entertaining, and to connect this to the lawn area using wide shallow steps. The steps provided the first level change whilst keeping the lawn and patio functionally as one space. The wide steps also draw you into the wider garden and make it feel open and welcoming. The lawn area was edged with raised planters which were planted with structural semi-formal planting and also retain the level change at the boundaries that delivers the large central flat area. It was decided to use brick rather than render for the retaining wall finish, so that the look was in keeping with the era of the house. A bench is awaited to sit at the head of the lawn in the niche below the raised rear beds.

To the rear of the lawn a further set of steps leads you to the top level of the garden where a further, smaller patio sits in front of the garden gym and office. Being at the top of the garden means the office is away from potential disturbance, and also has good views over the planting, back to the house. Plant design here is semi-formal with topiary spheres and structural shrubs which add to the clean lined look of the space. In winter they will continue to give green structure. The topiary is interspersed with a mix of low maintenance perennials which will provide change and floral interest through most of the year. Finally, a multi-stem Silver Birch and beautiful Japanese Acers add height and provide the finishing touch.

Comments (9)

• Sonia
    5 years ago

Very elegant. I liked the brick raised beds, much nicer than the usual generic white rendering. Those steps are magnificent! My sister has just started a refurb of her house and wants to eventually update the garden too, so I shall be sending her this story!

• PRO
    Peter Reader Landscapes
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Forzaitalia,

Thanks for your feedback and glad you like the design. I agree, it is nice ot see planters in other materials than render. Happy to help your sister when the time comes.

Peter

• E D
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Looks like a good quality job. I like the steps and the garden office.

It does feel rather 'linear' to me though. All straight lines and angles, which seem to produce a somewhat harsh look, not helped by the formal style planting.

However, if the client is happy, It's a successful make-over.

• PRO
    Peter Reader Landscapes
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi E D

Thanks for your feedback. This was the look that the client wanted and as you say that is the main focus. The planting has only just gone in and will soften it down a little more with time though.

• minipie
    5 years ago

The stone paving and steps are lovely. May I ask who supplied the stone?

I also like the beds going across the garden not just around the edges.

• PRO
    Peter Reader Landscapes
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi White & Green and also Minipie - thank you for your comments. Glad you like the design.

The stone is from London Stone https://www.londonstone.co.uk/ and is the Jura Grey Limestone. The steps were bull-nosed by them for us.

• Alix W
    5 years ago
    Lovely finish, a little too formal for me, but love that multi stemmed birch, that is a real jewel.
    Peter Reader Landscapes thanked Alix W
  • donut99
    5 years ago
    lovely but a bit sterile..nowhere for wildlife
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.