uk1982

Help required with living room

uk1982
5 years ago

Hello all, I need some general help with my living room. I've worked really hard to try to create a neutral dove grey Laura Ashley type living room, but it's really dull. I love every other room I've decorated, but I just don't get the same feeling with this room.

I can't change the floor, sofa, or furniture.

I can add/remove any accessories, curtains, art, cushions, etc. I've tried a number of rugs but they seem to make the room look really cluttered.

Any ideas / suggestions would be gratefully received! Thanks.

Comments (28)

• uk1982
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You've completely hit the nail on the head there, I feel it looks washed out. I will definitely start with a larger plant...it seems to look fine in person it looks weirdly small in the photo! I love all those cushions which are different shades of pink. Food for thought, thank you!

• Related Discussions

HELP make my living room, relaxing, luxurious on a tight budget

Q

Comments (9)
    Thrift shops rule! You can pick up the practical stuff---tables, chairs, chests of drawers, and even upholstered items---and make them your own with chalk paint and slipcovers. Sometimes you can find attractive art. Lamps are also super cheap at such places as the Salvation Army, and you can paint those, too. Chalk paint can be used indoors, as it requires no messy sanding and has essentially no smell. I think you'll also want a rug and curtains. If I were you, I'd use the greater part of my budget on a good rug or two that I could keep forever. Lots of people make their own drapes out of drop cloths, but Ikea curtains are a pretty cheap option. Good luck. You're going to have fun decorating your new place.
    ...See More

Need help! Living room furniture/decorations

Q

Comments (2)
    I contemplated on buying a virtual online designer package but can't afford to spend the $$ when it can be put towards furniture/decor that's needed. Any ideas are welcome..
    ...See More

Dining/Living Room Help Needed

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all, I bought my first home (Yay!) and I was wondering how you would design the following living/dining room. I have attached the measures as the pictures are from the original add and might look more spacious than it really is. The living room kinda has to happen where the fireplace is, which is also where you enter the room from the hall, but I am struggling to fit a couch in there that you don’t fall over. I’m thinking of moving the dining area to the black wall now and the couch to the other end of the room which is also the west and garden facing side. But then I’d lose the lovely fire place. So that’s my Dilemma thaha :) Let me know what you think. Any help is greatly appreciated :D
    ...See More

Help with living/dining room needed.

Q

Comments (1)
    Outside looking into window with black wall from the street, which also makes it less ideal for the living room area. Thanks everyone!! :)
    ...See More
  • Pat Auld
    5 years ago
    I don’t think you need to do much just some striking cushions and a vase of bright flowers and maybe a couple more green plants. The room is lovely otherwise
    uk1982 thanked Pat Auld
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    I think you have choose everything too carefully, ie matching colour tones, it doe lack a bit of colour as mentioned, yes a big plant too, it’s the first thing I have in a room to help fill it, it’s really nice but too neutral, the examples above give you so ideas, even just customise your profile and browse the thousands of pics on here!
    uk1982 thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • lkirk44
    5 years ago
    Pink cushions to add colour and warn rug, find out whether room is north or south facing. They say if north choose paint with yello tones/ south facing blue tones which may help x
    uk1982 thanked lkirk44
  • PRO
    Kingston Mosaics and Tiles
    5 years ago

In agreement with everyone above, I would like to add that warm toned curtains would make a difference. From the photos I can tell that the attention unconsciously goes to that area of the room because of the backyard, assuming that's what it is. You could even choose a colour to match with the cushions , considering you will get brighter cushions. Overall, that's a nice space you have got!

uk1982 thanked Kingston Mosaics and Tiles
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago

I dont agree you need an injection of colour. I thi k it's more about adding texture, mixed metals, perhaps some black framed pictures and patterned cushions. Also think some larger plants would be lovely. I am a bit confused about the layout - I think it's because you walk into the room to the chaise end of the sofa. I know moving TV aerials etc can be a pain but have you tried spinning it round so you see the TV wall as you walk into the room?
    Some ideas below about keeping it neutral but warming the room up

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    Ps I hope minnie101 sees this post.
    She's brilliant at pulling a room together, especially when you've got some lovely furniture and decor to work with. Good luck.
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I think it lacks tone and texture. There is a definite violet undertone to this room that I feel is cool, but the floor really helps. Painting the curtain wall a dark warm violety brown may help and then putting a couple of picture on it in wooden frames to add warmth. These cushions are the colours that may help, deep burnt oranges and chocolate colours. Apart from the floor and TV everything is the same tone and colour, so some darker elements and warmer elements should help.

• PRO
    Richards Architectural
    5 years ago

Texture all the way for me ... you can have a completely neural monotone room but by layering texture you will make it more interesting.

Love what you've done, try a rug in front of your sofa to pull it together at the least .. looks lovely.

• Ellie
    5 years ago

In response to your layout, I think its best this way rather than swapping sofa and tv walls. I would much rather see a nice sofa on entering a lounge rather than a tv! TVs are hideous, no matter how small, but unfortunately essential in my house!

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi,

I agree with the people who say that the room doesn't need colour (although that could be lovely too), but it needs texture, possibly a bit more pattern, and personality. It's very safe and bland now. The symmetry of two lamps, two candle holders, two cushions on the left and two on the right is a bit boring (sorry). Three different pieces together is usually much more interesting.

I would start with moving the console table to the other side of the sofa, so it's the first thing you see when you come in. Create a vignette on it: you can use the plant, a lamp, a framed piece of art that you lean against the wall...

[https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/10-great-ideas-for-creating-vignettes-in-your-living-room-stsetivw-vs~80315004[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/10-great-ideas-for-creating-vignettes-in-your-living-room-stsetivw-vs~80315004)

BEDROOM · More Info

Marina Residence · More Info

• verdigrisjane
    5 years ago
    A beautiful rug would look good and then take the colour from the rug into the cushions.
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Thanks Jules, you have more faith than me!

• minnie101
    5 years ago

Hi. Is it a LA style room you're after or Hollywood regency? Do you want to add colour as from memory you're keen on neutrals?

I like your lamps but I do think you need something bigger in scale against the mirror and I would just go for one lamp with a pleated shade for texture (although not quite as large as my first image!). I would add flowers next to it and maybe art as Carolina suggested and agree try seeing what it looks like on the other side of the sofa. Perhaps just add a couple of books on the bottom shelf. I also think the window wall would look good in a darker tone as the room is relatively narrow and it would highlight the curtains and wallpaper. I liked a textured rug under the sofa hence the old picture but would rearrange It. Your light looks lovely but maybe a tad small? You can get semi-flush Sputnik lights which work with that style. I would put the tv to one side of the unit and then try grouping 3 of your accessories to the side. Maybe a small gallery on the tv wall so it's not too cluttered? A shagreen tray would look nice on the footstool, preferably a round one, and you could add a decanter etc unless you have children/pets. Pictures are just to give an idea of bits If you're after the regency style (I would probably change a couple of bits in the 2nd pic with the burnt orange cushions but was being lazy!). The cushion is from H&M in case you like it and they also do it in black. I can't find any in a dark grey or chocolate if the black is too bold.

Not sure if this was the type of thing you're after though..

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Here's my version. I'd switch the console table and the floor lamp and add 'Minnie's plant' to the floor lamp corner.

I like Minnie's choice for table, tray and lamps.

• uk1982
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello everyone, I typed out a long thank you message but it seems to have disappeared! I am so grateful for all the advice. There are some things I've been unable to do (hubby is dead set against a rug, and we can't move the console table as it won't fit to the left and we can't shift the sofa for the radiator...but the console table is actually the first thing you see when you walk in due to the positioning of the door so it's quite nice).

I've worked hard to add tone and texture and I'm so happy with the results so far! I still have a way to go but I thought I would update you on my progress so far. It's amazing how the floor has stopped clashing so much since I've added some darker/warmer tones. Next step might be some dark-framed pictures and possibly putting some greenery back in. Not sure what to put to the immediate left of the sofa yet but you have all given me food for thought!

• uk1982
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I also got this dark throw for the footstool/ottoman but I'm wondering it if looks silly. It's EXTREMELY soft though so I would like to keep it! Do I get bonus decor points for adding a large cat for added texture? :D

• User
    5 years ago

What about changing your clock for one of our magnificent 3D floral wall arts! If you are interested, mail me direct on petalart@mail.com.

uk1982 thanked User
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

20 bonus points for a normal size cat. Large cats are 30 bonus points at least :-D

Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on. The added textures really do make a difference.

uk1982 thanked Carolina
  • uk1982
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello everyone, just another status update. I have added a larger plant, some black plant stands, taller table lamps with textured shades, and lots of pattern/texture on the sofa. Feeling EXTREMELY happy. It's not perfect and I can still work on it, but it is so much better than it was. Photos of it always look nicer when I turn the exposure up on the camera, so I'm thinking of changing the ceiling lights to ones that will flood the room with light during the day (despite the french doors, the ceiling is quite low so the room is very dull.), Thanks everyone!

My Home · More Info

My Home · More Info

• uk1982
    Original Author
    5 years ago

PS the large cushions look shiny in the pictures :D they are not shiny, they are a soft velvet.

• Diego
    5 years ago
    Well done you, big improvement. When you posted the first picture it was the floor that stood out to me too but what you've done has brought a balance to the room.
    uk1982 thanked Diego
  • Francoise Jowett
    5 years ago

I would remove the tiny green plant and replace it with a bigger, one with lush large leaves. Also if it was my room, I would change the position of the round mirror from above the sofa to the left of the TV, by the window, where the clock is, at the moment, and put the clock on the side wall to the right of the entrance door, near the standing lamp. I would find a large rectangular print on canvas, framed or not, to put above the sofa. As you chose lilac as an accent colour, I'd find a print with some lilac, or purple in it tooI wouldn't choose a print framed behind glass, otherwise you have too many shiny surfaces, that would not be very "Feng Shui", or to put it simpler, it doesn't make for a very relaxing atmosphere to have too many shiny flat surfaces in a room.

• June Hulton
    5 years ago
    everywhere and everything is grey....we do live live in a grey world...I went for carpet about a month ago..first colours they offered me was grey.. DON'T GET ME WRONG..LIKE GREY...I have little areas in my home.....LIVE LIFE AS YOU ABLE TO SEE...My Nephew went Blind 10 years ago...it's hard when he asked what colour it is...and even though he has changed his life completely around...he's now on YouTube...known on the BLIND WOOD TURNER..He can thankfully have the opportunity to remember colours and styles...he has helped me too..in the sense on how I view life...I'm so thankful,..please put some colours back... maybe in cusions, throws, etc.. flowers...your room. is beautiful, peace and calm... enjoy x
  • Valerie Wingrove
    5 years ago
    Lovely room but, if you could put the television on the wall, remove the unit it would free up more space, add a bright rug and cushions and it would feel cosy.
  • Carole Menzies
    5 years ago
    I think the problem is it's very 'safe' and maybe isn't reflecting your personality? Consider painting the wall behind the TV in a strong dark colour - the room will come to life!
  • PRO
    Litecraft
    5 years ago

Hi!

I think you've got a really good starting point for a sophisticated modern look here, however I'd definitely say things feel a bit washed out looking at the images you've posted.

I'd probably start off by adding a few layers of texture to the space, whether that be through throws, or maybe some extra cushions across the sofa. A splash of colour on the curtains could also make a big difference, giving a vibrant pop to the space.

If you'd be willing to go a little bolder, a statement lamp might be able to revamp the room, giving a unique focal point to the decor for an unusual, personalised style! I'll post a few of our examples below so you can see what I'm thinking:

[4 Light Wavy Floor Lamp with Smoked Glass Shades, Black Nickel[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/4-light-wavy-floor-lamp-with-smoked-glass-shades-black-nickel-prvw-vr~105367635)

4 Light Wavy Floor Lamp with Smoked Glass Shades, Black Nickel · More Info

[Visconte Corona 6-Light Vertical Spiral Floor Lamp, Copper[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/visconte-corona-6-light-vertical-spiral-floor-lamp-copper-prvw-vr~134581313)

Visconte Corona 6-Light Vertical Spiral Floor Lamp, Copper · More Info

I hope this helps you!

! If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact us at customerservices@litecraft.co.uk

You can check out our full Houzz profile here, or head over to our website for our entire range!

Kind Regards,

The Litecraft Team

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.