beano49

expensive furniture and accessories?

Anthony (Beano)
5 years ago
Just a matter of intrest, does anyone on here think very expensive furniture and accessories are worth the extra money? Do they offer that something for the excess (at times) extra you pay?

I’m looking for a new sofa and two new chairs, it’s just getting silly and I’m wondering if I’m mad! I really love out there stuff you done see every day and I know that’s the driving force behind my searches.

Sometimes I think the stuff is worth every penny sometimes I wince and pay up anyway as I can find nothing else like it!

I do end up keeping my stuff for years though, prob because I can’t afford to change any time soon as I’m skint for the purchase! Lol
I’d rather have 6 and change.
in for a penny, life’s short

Comments (71)

• Helen C
    5 years ago
    It is a lot of money forzaitalia but I think I will love it forever. Its simple classic design means it won’t ‘go out of fashion’ in fact it’s probably not on trend now but I just fell in love with it.
  • Laura Thomas
    5 years ago
    It is a stunning light, but £4.5k!!
    My husband was shocked/outraged at the ones I purchased at £650. That probably explains why he has no appreciation, as I often knock the zeros off the cost price!

All to often once I’ve seen something I love, nothing else compares. Cheaper versions may look similar in a staged photo/magazine, but the small details and finishes aren’t quite right.
  • Related Discussions

Help me finish my bedroom

Q

Comments (36)
    I would also definitely go white if the windows are on the green wall. Will be much more natural to tie the accent wall with the stark wht contrasting walls. Always a very chic contemporary look. Also very relaxing as opposed to the treatments standing out when you already have your standout feature- the green accent wall. Great white bed you ordered! Then I love all the blue/green/ silver accent advice. I did a similar room in purples/greys/ whites and we used great posted prints of florals with a little oriental flair in nice big mats w frames. You could do florals or nice big botanicals in greens would be very fresh and modern!! White or silver frames or maybe even the shock of black would be cool.
    ...See More

Bedroom accessories

Q

Comments (5)
    How about a traditional sheepskin rug for the floor, this will look great on the wood and is lovely for bare feet when you get out of bed in the morning! As for the curtains and bedding, with grey walls and white furniture, you have the liberty to do as you like. Personally, I would add some pattern with colour in the curtains (nothing too garish!) attached is a pattern by Romo. I would keep the bed linen a plain colour, below is Secret Linen Store, relaxed denim bedding in Graphite Grey then you can add some pattern and colour with cushions and throws. If you like slightly bolder colour patterns, Bluebellgray also do some lovely fabrics in bold but beautiful prints. I hope the suggestions help!
    ...See More

Accessories colours

Q

Comments (4)
    Hello, If you're going for the new classic of grey with say white as below and wish to add colour in, keep your regular elements in a colour that will to some degree disappear... Stainless steel accessories will never date, and they leave you free to ring the changes with your fabric accessories, cool for summer, warm for winter... without the extra expense of trying to match in your every day items like kettles etc. Good luck and let us know how you get on... x
    ...See More

Open Space Dilemma in Living room area of extension!

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Lizzy, I hope you are keeping well. Each of the ideas you have mentioned above could work in that lovely and open space, it all boils down to personal preference. If you would like to discuss this further, we have contacts with an Interior designer who may be able to assist you in your decision making process! Don't hesitate to get in touch if this is something that interests you. Thanks Lizzy. Kind regards, BuildTech.
    ...See More
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I still love these....design classics.

IMAGE BOOK · More Info

• Helen C
    5 years ago
    That’s just it Laura nothing else compares that’s why me and Beano have such a dilemma!
  • Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi again campo73 :-) and all others who have contributed, yes, we would be living in the best lit and decorated cardboard box in the uk if we got together! Lol, I can see this is quite subjective for some and I honestly don’t want it to seem like a thread about who can afford what as I don’t think (hopefully) that’s how it’s been taken by anyone, it’s just interesting to see people opinion of expensive furniture.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ps for anyone else who think me and campo73 are crazy have a gander here!

https://www.pamono.co.uk
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    I saw your comment earlier Beano and was too afraid to click on the link! Having just done that I am now happily resigned to sitting on the sofa all evening browsing that website! You never know I might find a cheaper light fitting lol!
  • PRO
    Alexander Joseph
    5 years ago

Hi Beano, great question. Good quality and design are super important. Find items with both of these and they'll last a lifetime and definitely be worth the price. Hope this helps.

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We mix and match. We have some expensive designer pieces that are timeless, but I'll put a cheaper piece next to it. I do believe that if you really love something, it's probably worth the extra money if you have it. Or if you can save up for it. If not, just admire it from a distance. There's no point in putting yourself into debt for a piece of lighting or furniture.

We've had most of our furniture pieces for 25 years or longer and still love them. And they were the expensive, designer ones. The only thing that we change every 10 years or so is the sofa. And we've had some expensive sofas, believe me. For some reason they will start to look worse anyway, when you allow your labradors to sleep on them ;-) So we're now going for less expensive, but still comfortable sofas.

We've started out in an apartment with a second hand dining set, and cheap plastic garden chairs in the living until we could afford the sofa we wanted.

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Cheers for all the replies :-) well I just ordered my chair! Tbh don’t regret it at all, new sofa too! So bank balance had took a battering but I’m happy :-) chair should be hear end of the month!
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    That’s a very cool chair, did you go for the orange? Congrats on the purchase!
  • Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yep, exact same material and colour as in the picture:-) very very comfy!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Some things are worth paying more for ... some cheap and cheerful items can be good for people who tire of things quickly - or people who follow fashion trends.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Cool chairs!

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    I love trawling through my local vintage stores and charity shops. Great for quality ceramics and furniture and at a great price. I just haven’t got the budget to spend a lot, but I really do enjoy browsing. However, I won’t compromise with sofas and seating. You definitely get what you pay for - buy cheap buy twice!
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    Beano I have a confession to make! I back tracked on the expensive light, my ‘add to bag’ finger was on fire this week and I went and purchased a substantially cheaper light from the white company. I do quite like it but I would have preferred the other light. However with a saving including delivery of over £4.5k I’m pretty pleased. And it’s now given me carte blanche to buy an expensive coffee and side table. Forzaitalia I’m hoping you’re impressed with my saving!
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    Here’s the light..
  • Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That’s a great looking light! Tbh, every bit is nice as the original you posted, the depth is good as you have what looks like a high ceiling? Ps like your style, similar to mine, I’ve a tv unit on commission with the same colours as your side unit (satin black and teak) I like the dining table and chairs too! Look like a brand I’m familiar with too! Nice saving on the light too, let the spending begin! Lol
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    I love that artwork. I mean I really love it! And I think this light is better than the other one.
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    Thanks Beano I feel a bit better about it now. When we put it up my husband said “yeah I think I can see the difference now between a £4K light and a £400 light!” Could have swung for him! Might have to buy the other light for my living room when I get around to doing that properly because I still love it. The dining table is by Hay Copenhague table and the chairs are by Vitra Belleville armchairs. The sideboard was picked up from an auction. The spending began at the start of the week, haven’t looked at my credit card balance since! Just need to make a decision on the coffee table now. Looking at the Rodan table by Pinch or Noguchi table I think. Hope your chairs are arriving soon!
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    Thanks Emily glad you like the light, relieved actually because I wasn’t sure I’d done the right thing. The colours in the artwork are lovely aren’t they. Couldn’t tell you who it’s by, we acquired it in lieu of some money we were owed when the client went bust!
  • Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Lol, hoping the chair is here soon too and the sofa, I personally like the vitra table, it’s a classic, I went for a modius coffee table in my living room, blooming tonne weight! Looked at a similar chair to yours as extras for our dinning table, great quality.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    Campo73 you did make me chuckle! I think I’m just tight and would never spend a fortune on anything, but that’s just me. However, I have trained you up well lol! What a saving, and in my eyes the light looks just as good as the other one, but the best thing in that room is that gorgeous artwork. It shines.
  • Luciana
    5 years ago

Oh, Helen!! You've inadvertently made my day!!

I was just reading through this thread (great topic, Beano!) and noticed your gorgeous dining room... is the sculpture on the sideboard the one I made for you? Can't see it too well, but its posture reminds me of my stuff. I have to say, I feel very honoured that you placed it there! :)) Your dining room is just superb - congrats!! (I never wanted a dining room, you are making me reconsider my beliefs).

Beano, those chairs look fantastic, great choice!

As for how much to spend on interiors, I'm also an adept of mix&match. And, if hubby doesn't comment on its cost, it means the price was just right:)))

• Helen C
    5 years ago
    Hi Luciana, lovely to hear from you. Yes it is your beautiful sculpture, I absolutely love it and get so many people commenting on it. Are you still making them? My children still have theirs too. This dining area is part of the kitchen so not completely separate and I have a kitchen table for day to day eating. I love having this for Christmas though because it’s away from the kitchen mess. Beano love that coffee table you posted.
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    Ha forzaitalia I think you did actually influence my light purchase and I’m glad now I’ve not burned a hole in my pocket! Beano meant to ask how did you find commissioning a piece of furniture? I’d like to do the same but I’m a little concerned I wouldn’t like the end product!
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Hi Campo, it's great to see the furniture in situ, it looks fantastic (As does Luciana's sculpture!). I really like that light too :) Is the coffee table for the kitchen seating area?!

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It all started when I got a ‘floating’ tv unit for the sunroom, loved the illusion of extra space as there was on feet to the ground, I was looking a similar one to that for the livingroom but couldn’t find what I wanted so I sat down and sketched out what I wanted, I approached a joinery works and asked if they would cancel it out so I could build it and then get it sprayed, I acquired some reclaimed teak floor boards that I’m resurfacing and using as two doors, hoping it will be ready in two or three weeks, nervous about how it will turn out but nothing ventured and all that :-) I’m also getting a chair made as well next year, custom bent tubing and tube leather, very similar to this one, I’ve tried in vain to buy an original but they are scary price even they do turn up!
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    Hi Minnie lovely to hear from you too, glad to be back on here, had a difficult year or two and the house had to take a backseat. And yes the coffee table is for the kitchen area, can you believe we’ve been in the house over 3 years and I’ve still not bought one!! Beano would love to see your commission when it’s finished, I bet it will be perfect, love the sound of using the old teak for doors. Am tempted by that coffee table Beano, I think it might just suit the living space in my kitchen....
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Hi Campo. I'm sorry to hear that, I hope everything is ok now ❤️

I can't believe it's been 3 years! Whichever one you choose will look fantastic in that room :)

• Helen C
    5 years ago
    I know Minnie three and a half years ago you were helping me pick kitchen cabinet paint colours! Did you get your house exterior painted? Always wondered how it turned out, beautiful I’m sure. Sorry Beano reminiscing on your thread hope you don’t mind!
  • Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi campo83 :-) do you mean the vitra one you want? I really like that table! Try www.clippings.com and look at the coffee tables that have to offer, some fantastic pieces, a lot I’ve never heard of either, nest is another good site for a bit of food for thought!
  • Luciana
    5 years ago

Helen, I'm also sorry to hear about your difficult time, hopefully things are better now.

I'm really glad you all seem to still like the things I made for you :))

I still enjoy making statues, still as a hobby exclusively, although since getting a dog, my priorities have changed - Minnie, I supposed that's true for you as well. And speaking of expensive sofas, Iggy the Bernese (seen here with his best mate, Winnie the retriever) doesn't seem to care that our sofa is designer, same as Carolina's labradors. Not only that but instead of an impeccable house, we now seem to have dog toys everywhere; and to top it all, horror of horrors, I had to buy door mats for both the front and back door!! And I was ready to pay quite a lot, but still couldn't find any to match my kitchen decor... :))

Sorry for changing the subject, but I just can't miss out on an opportunity to post a photo of my goofy dog :))

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Great dogs and a nice looking space you have there! My dog was the same, god rest him :-( ps that’s some telescope, Hubble! Lol
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    This is a lovely thread

Campo, hope you're well now. Love the dining area, art, furniture and light are all beautiful
  • Helen C
    5 years ago
    No Beano the modius one you bought for your living room, it’s fabulous! Thanks everyone for the kind comments, things up and down so if I disappear again you’ll know why!! Houzz gives me some sanity though! Luciana your dogs are beautiful but I know the feeling about them wrecking the sofa! And I’ve the same problem with a doormat at the back door-haven’t succumbed to one yet! Carolyn thank you too x
  • Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry to here of your issues, hope you don’t disappear to long :-( like our little exchanges :-) oh and thanks for the likening of the coffee table, it is quite the site in a house tbh, quite low btw but something else! Think it would fit in well with your style from what I can see, ps if you really are thinking of one I might be able to help with a wee bit of money off depending where you go for it :-)
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Campo, the house still isn't painted! I think we have now spent that money on next month's holiday! Definitely having it done in spring though along with everything else that needs doing.

Luciana, lol, I would definitely agree priorities have changed! We gave up on the no furniture rule after all of about 2 weeks. I bought a velvet bench for the hall a few months ago which turned up looking less than pristine and rather than get a new one delivered I just accepted money off instead as I knew it wasn't going to stay looking pristine for long anyway! Darcey has taken to sitting on top of the sofa cushion and here she is having fallen down the gap.. Iggy is looking really well, he's gorgeous, it's amazing how they change your lives. I haven't got a door mat yet but much to my husband's amusement I succumbed to a bum bag for her bits when walking her....

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Lol, I was actually going to ask you to post another pic of your ‘cushion’ as I couldn’t quite make it out! You gotta love them :-)
  • Luciana
    5 years ago

Minnie, Darcey is a beauty! And pouting prettily, she clearly has you wrapped around her little... toe. But two weeks of no furniture rule - you are so tough! Although, bum bag... I share your husband's amusement and sincerely hope, for your neighbours' sake, that it's not a beer belly bum bag! :)))

And just to clarify, the retriever is not ours, he belongs to our neighbours, but spends every Tuesday with us as a play-date. Here's a better photo of my silly vegan dog (if you remember, we bought a new fridge for his fresh meat, but he was still not well on that diet, so after few other hospital visits and lots of tests, we were told he is actually allergic to meat. And they were finally right! since we started the vegan diet, he's doing great (and his coat looks amazing without much effort on our part).

Beano, please post a photo of your new stuff when it arrives. I'm kind of nosy...

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    No probs Luciana :-) I’ve just took delivery of two outdoor sofas, as I havnt the outside patio area finished they are both in the house! Lol I’ll take a pic when I’m home, kinda unusual it I love them :-)
  • Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Got two of these sofas for the new patio area, need to get some pads made to make them a bit more comfortable though!
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    Funky sofas! I like them too :-)
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Luciana, lol, no not a beer belly bum bag! I do remember, I'm glad you've finally had it diagnosed. I know a lot of dogs can be allergic to beef and lamb (I think) but haven't heard of them being allergic to all meat. Iggy looks very happy and healthy on his new diet :)

• Luciana
    5 years ago

Beano, I absolutely love those sofas! Really funky indeed, I'm sure your garden will look fabulous!

Minnie - thank you! :))

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you luciana :-) yes it hopefully will look well, funny thing is it’s the design of something that makes me want to own it, yes the over all look of all the furniture together is also important but sometimes, even it doesn’t exactly go there’s times you just have to go g for it and buy what you really, really want :-) lol, I sound like a spice girl with that end line!
  • Kyle Barrett
    5 years ago

I always come to these discussions with a bit of a 'thrifted' angle, but there's plenty of refurbished high end sofas if you look at the vintage market.

They are usually striking design wise and often (though not literally) they're unique, they're usually cheaper than a new sofa and more incredibly they often don't depreciate in the way a new sofa will... So - crazy thought, you could even get a substantial sum of money back from them!

Kyle

(I might be LTTP, just noticed there's a lot of comments between the original and here :P )

• Anthony (Beano)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Something has to be very special for me to buy secondhand/used, that usually equates to a clean fortune even secondhand as it’s usually unique, very limited or an original piece that although old was a clean fortune when new and is prob more expensive now it’s old! Just look at a lot of old cars!! I so wish I could find that special chair for £100 and have it sitting proud in my house somewhere, sadly I’m usually adding a zero or more for everything I like :-(
  • Kyle Barrett
    5 years ago
    It costs either time or money, its true. I spend time and invest in furniture I can sell on.
  • PRO
    FurnitureBazar.co.uk
    6 months ago

I totally agree! Fancy furniture and accessories can be tempting. Sometimes, spending more is worth it because you get better quality and unique style. But, it's important to pick carefully. If something truly stands out and makes you happy, it might be worth the splurge. It's all about finding a balance between your love for unique stuff and your budget. So, choose wisely!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.