looking4houses4

Kitchen worktop

GJ Dee
5 years ago
Can't decide between 2 worktops. Like the grey as it is different but will it make the kitchen too dark? Have included some hoots of flooring as well as I need to choose the tiles. What would work best? It is a northern facing kitchen. Thank you for any advice given.

Comments (38)

• GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    *photos (sorry blame auto correct)
  • Patria C
    5 years ago
    I think the white worktop looks better, but with the slightly darker flooring on the left
  • GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you. The units look a bit brown but they are called grey. Funny colour but it suits the kitchen. It is difficult to match.
  • E D
    5 years ago

I don't feel you should try to match the units. The white looks good.

Does it have some specs/slight veining or similar? A solid white can look quite stark and I guess may be hard to keep looking clean all the time.

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

I think the lighter worktop. As for the floor, whilst I like the look of the lighter one, I feel the darker one would be more practical and would balance the look of the kitchen more.

GJ Dee thanked Ribena Drinker
  • AM
    5 years ago
    Definitely the white top, it gives a good contrast with the units.
    GJ Dee thanked AM
  • GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. Resounding yes to the lighter top so far! The lighter one does have some subtle veins in it as I agree that solid white would be too stark. Thank you for the comments on the floor as well- really useful and the darker one probably is more practical. Will the lighter worktop be difficult to keep? I cook a lot and am hopeless at washing up as I go along so the kitchen gets very messy!

• Gillian Spark
    5 years ago
    You can buy repairable work tops that are stain resistant but I think they are very expensive, so professional advice would probably be a good idea. I would certainly choose the white. It looks fab with your very smart units. Have you tried White marble with light viening You may find one with colours that would speak to both the darker flooring and the cupboards. some marbles are heavily patterned but some are quite subtle.
  • E D
    5 years ago

What material is the worktop?

• GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The material is quartz. I like marble as I make a lot of pastry but I have decided to go for quartz and buy a separate pastry board.

• AM
    5 years ago
    I have a pale quartz worktop, you can just wipe it clean, v easy to look after
    GJ Dee thanked AM
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I have a North facing kitchen, and the issue I found was not so much light, but warmth. North facing rooms can look cold so I would always opt for greys that have some warmth to them. I like the flooring on the left, but both worktops look cool to be. Is there a slightly warmer white or warmer grey? It could just be my monitor but the grey worktop looks a bit blueish.

• Melissa S
    5 years ago

Good point on warmth above. We got bright white quartz fitted a couple of weeks ago as went for dark units and it’s amazing how much light they bounce around the room.

• PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    5 years ago

Looks really nice :O. What was the general cost including survey & fitting?

• GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you. My husband designed it and a kitchen fitter fitted it. Overall cost for units, worktops, handles, sink and tap about 10K.

• PRO
    iMarc-Pro Architects
    5 years ago
    white does for me
  • tamp75
    5 years ago
    How about a wood effect LVT? It would help provide visual warmth with the grey as well as a warmer feel underfoot.
    GJ Dee thanked tamp75
  • GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We have underfloor heating which is on all year apart from the summer when it is hot so the floor feels warmest of the time. Wood effect is a good idea.

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Out of all them, the large tile on the far right.
    GJ Dee thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    Out of these floor tiles, the large one on the right.

I’ve just read through this thread and am glad you went with the white worktop. It looks really good.
    GJ Dee thanked Carolina
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I like the first floor you picked on the left although i also like the concrete floor colour! Kitchen looks good

GJ Dee thanked minnie101
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Kitchen worktop looks fab. I think a wood effect floor in a warm tone would look nicer. Either Karndean or porcelain tiles in wood effect planks. They come in many shades from off white to deep chestnut. Something like this.

GJ Dee thanked Sonia
  • GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wood effect is a good idea. I think I shall go back to the drawing board for the tiles. I have been looking on wallsandfloors as we bought our bathroom tiles from them and they are lovely. I have looked at Topps Tiles but can't find anything there. Does anyone know a good tile company please?

• margaretmc01
    5 years ago

Love your worktop, definitely the right choice.

GJ Dee thanked margaretmc01
  • PRO
    Lomuarredi Ltd
    5 years ago

I prefer the darker one.

• GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just thinking wood effect might not work as the dining room is next door and we are going to have a wooden floor in there and it might clash?

• Ellie
    5 years ago
    Why not have the same one continue right through both rooms?
  • GJ Dee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Still haven't decided on the floor tiles. A tiler recommended another company so we chose a few more samples. Would appreciate an opinion please on the new samples.
  • Ellie
    5 years ago
    Are you not having wood then? You could have same wood right through too?
  • Ellie
    5 years ago
    I do think it needs wood as it would really brighten/warm up the look.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Difficult choice. I like the large tile samples. The one on the right, with the vein through it looks lovely, but it will look a lot busier when you see that on an entire floor. You might or might not like that. And then there's the added choice: do we put the veins all in one direction or will we mix it up.

I'd probably choose one of the lighter large tiles.

• GJ Dee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know it's been a while but here is the finished result. Thank you to everyone who advised me. I'm hopeless at making my mind up but I got there in the end!

• AM
    3 years ago

Perfect choice Well done! It all looks great

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Thanks for the update. Looks great!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Love seeing updates. That floor is beautiful and has a warmth to it, very smart!

• lspendl 828
    3 years ago

Lovely! That’s the one I’d have chosen too.

• ksk_maddox
    3 years ago

I've only just seen this topic but I would have gone for the same choices, light worktop and light floor as it will lighten the room which could look very dark and gloomy if it was all dark.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.