christieaustin

Large Kitchen: 1 or 2 islands?

Christie Austin
5 years ago

My husband and I are building a new home and are really having a hard time deciding if we should have 1 or 2 islands in our kitchen. We have four kids so we would definitely like seating for 4-6 around the island. We are planning for the islands to be counter height. Can anyone give advice on which of these designs would be best? We can change the dimensions on any of the islands. The kitchen is 21' wide x 16.5' deep (but we can go deeper than that with bar stools as it buts up to a very wide hallway) I appreciate any advice you have! Thanks!

Comments (42)

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

IMO, one island would be the way to go. The 2 island concept spreads out your work triangle too much and the center island becomes nothing more than an impediment to an efficient work flow.

Christie Austin thanked katinparadise
  • User
    5 years ago

One for sure in my mind.

Christie Austin thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Do we have space for a 5ft x 4ft kitchen island?

Q

Comments (8)
    I am sorry to say you don't have room. You are only giving yourself 36" in front of the ovens and only 31" for passage on the opposite side and 42" is not enough between the island and the sink. You might find a smaller 30" wide x 48" moveable stainless steel prep table and placed in the opposite direction, it might work for additional counter surface but not give you the seating you would like.
    ...See More

Kitchen Help

Q

Comments (9)
    Happy to help ! I'm only a short swim away in England !! I think if you want a truly opulent cream for the kitchen cabinets - I'd suggest you get a colour match for the range ! It looks a very creamy cream ! Think it could be stunning ! Then have slightly lighter walls and tiles to keep the room feeling light and airy ! If you have walnut stain for your worktop on your island , I'd suggest using that on your exposed legs if you go for the dipped paint look on the table and chairs ! Are you having the classic CC shaped island ?!?
    ...See More

island lighting

Q

Comments (4)
    Chrome is a great choice for a modern look. I'm in America, so I converted 30cm to inches so I could find you some possible ideas. Please note that our website does not ship outside the US, but hopefully these can at least give you some nice ideas. 1. http://www.lightsonline.com/product/george-kovacs-bling-bling-pendant 2. http://www.lightsonline.com/product/kichler-stella-1-light-35-mini-pendant-in-chrome-42216ch 3. http://www.lightsonline.com/product/golden-lighting-harland-1-light-mini-pendant-in-chrome-wclear-glass-3086-m1l-ch 4. http://www.lightsonline.com/product/kichler-reynes-1-light-mini-pendant-in-chrome-42123ch 5. http://www.lightsonline.com/product/et2-frost-halogen-mini-pendant-in-polished-chrome-wclear-white-glass-e22000-10 6. http://www.lightsonline.com/product/et2-teardrop-1-light-mini-pendant-in-polished-chrome-e24055-pc 7. http://www.lightsonline.com/product/fredrick-ramond-globe-2-light-mini-pendant-in-polished-chrome-finish-fr38510pcm 8. http://www.lightsonline.com/product/elk-lighting-modern-organics-pendant8
    ...See More

Houzz Live Chat - Designing a Dream Kitchen, 1 pm, 15 July 2016

Q

Comments (80)
    A15) @Dara Cooke: If you can't afford a quartz or granite worktop from day one then I would recommend using a laminate worktop as a temporary solution. If you don't put tiles up as a backsplash then replacing the worktops can be relatively easy in a couple of years.
    ...See More
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    One island a good size with ample room for seating would be the go
    Christie Austin thanked Irene Morresey
  • just_janni
    5 years ago

1 island.

And the size of that one likely needs to be reduced depending on your selected material - 6'x9.5' is a really hard reach to wipe down

And both layouts need work in order to have more functional space. Esp the 1 island configuration - that high expanse of counter without a sink will be seldom used.

Christie Austin thanked just_janni
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

1 island. 2 if you have full time kitchen help

Christie Austin thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I know it's not what you asked but here I go.

I would put the fridge and freezer on the other wall, with the fridge close to the living room for easy access.

Next, I would put the double sink on the right end of the window run of cabinets with the d/w on its left and trash pullout on its right.

The stove I would leave as-is.

The island would be rotated 90° and be about 10x6 with a prep sink and d/w on the fridge end and seating in the side where you've got the fridge and freezer in your original layout. That way the sink is near the fridge, a d/w is near the living/dining areas, and anyone sitting at the island is out of the way of the cooks and can chat with folks in the living room without having to turn completely around and have their backs to the kitchen.

The pantry could be enlarged a bit and open into the area where the fridge and freezer were shown. That will be much more convenient. You'll have about 9' between the wall and island edge, ample room for stool pushback and still have a walkway.

Christie Austin thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@Virgil Carter--HAHAHAHA!!!!

I agree--one island is enough. And did you know, SOME KITCHENS HAVE NO ISLAND AT ALL!!! Shocking, isn't it? ;)

Christie Austin thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • suzyq53
    5 years ago

Just one island, but not like the layout above. Seems like the island should go the other direction.

Christie Austin thanked suzyq53
  • damiarain
    5 years ago

Definitely 1 island. You have a ton of space to work with - so it's really just a matter of deciding what all you want (multiple ovens? coffee station? wine fridge?) but one direction you could go would be below:

- this island (about the size of a i.e. Caesarstone jumbo quartz slab) gets you 6 peeps around it, but on 2 sides (so you're not just sitting diner-style); plus with the extra storage under the counter top means there's lots of space for setting out food, homework, etc without encroaching on the prep sink

Christie Austin thanked damiarain
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Can you post a photo of the whole floor plan? I'd like to see how this all fits together.

You have three refrigerators?

Is there a wall oven ?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Much much better damairain

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Do a simulation. Move your living room sofa into you existing kitchen and see how you like walking around it to get from the sink to the stove.

• User
    5 years ago

Two terrible islands in the Pacific ocean of a kitchen is far worse than a one larger New Guinea in the Pacific ocean. Better still would be a smaller ocean and smaller island both. Like Madagascar in the Indian.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

Two islands = PacMan kitchen.

Christie Austin thanked Mrs Pete
  • One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Do I see a prep sink 2'-3' to the left of the stove? :-) With its own dishwasher?

I know double islands aren't popular, but I think they can make sense under certain circumstances. I'm considering the possibility for my next home, largely because I don't want any upper cabinets (windows all the way!), so a 2-island kitchen might be beneficial for storage, at the very least.

My husband's cooking style, as well as our family's lifestyle, would benefit from not only the sin of 2 islands, lol, but also perhaps the sin of an island range. *big grin*

We homeschool several young special need children, who receive individual and group cooking lessons daily. Lessons are easier when everyone can see what is happening and the cook faces forward. My husband also preps on either side of the stove, despite currently having a large island with *nothing* on it to serve as prep space, and he dislikes spending so much time with his back to everyone (not to mention the danger of being flanked by step stools, with curious children trying to observe). The island we have now serves as a food staging area where 10 plates can be lined up and food "styled" on them, waiting for a cute waitress to take them to the table. ;-)

All of that said, I wouldn't want an island deeper than 4' for ease of cleaning, and I wouldn't necessarily want the islands to be the same size, especially if one was used for eating. I seriously doubt that I'd have enough room for (or even *want*) an island large enough to accommodate my whole family at once, anyway, lol. Maybe just big enough for a few people snacking. A "T" shaped island really appeals to me, too, for seating purposes.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts, in case any of them help!

Christie Austin thanked One Devoted Dame
  • kariyava
    5 years ago

Definitely one island, though I would move it closer to the stove.

• galore2112
    5 years ago

What’s the intended purpose of your kitchen? What’s important to you?

Cooking:

For you/spouse only: Get a microwave or go out to eat. No island.

For family of 4-6: One big island. With barstools.

For a batallion: Get two islands and hire help.

Showing off: Get two islands. With the highest end appliances.

I’ve only seen a two island ultra high end kitchen when I was a guest at an engagement party at a mansion of one of the old money oil families in Dallas/Highland Park (net worth rumored >$800Million) and I have to say, it does look impressive.

Christie Austin thanked galore2112
  • Anna S
    5 years ago

Just made this same decision and went with 2 islands. Couple suggestions - I would put the sink in the island closest to the range not furthest away. This island would be the work island. The island closer to the living room would just be for seating and gathering. I think it looks better when the 2 islands are the same size. Without the second island, we would have had a huge open space between the kitchen and living room and we already had a seating nook to the side. Our islands are smaller though about 4 X 8.

Christie Austin thanked Anna S
  • PRO
    5 years ago

If you need 2 islands to fill up space, then your kitchen is. just. too. big.

Christie Austin thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

No to 2 islands, but I do have and island & a large peninsula. I think in your case you need to stick to one huge island. 5' is quite a distance to the island though. I would bring it in a bit.

Christie Austin thanked mark_rachel
  • Kristin S
    5 years ago

Doug, yours never looks like two islands to me, even if that's what it technically is. It looks like one island and one fairly open wall defining the kitchen. My mom has a similar set up, and it works well in her case. I think it's hard to design these well, however (even my mom's we would redo to make the kitchen more functional, were she doing it again).

OP, I'd go with one island in your case. Damarian's layout is an excellent option.

Christie Austin thanked Kristin S
  • Christie Austin thanked My House
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

@ARG I'm disappointed that you took down the pics of your pretty kitchen. I love when users post pictures of their real-life, functional spaces. The OP and all others can still benefit from seeing your kitchen at work, regardless of how we label the various fixtures.

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

Lol ... So true Diana B. .... when I had my kitchen remodeled ( down to the studs ) several years ago I had the audacity to have the island removed! People couldn’t fathom me doing that , but after seeing the results they couldn’t believe how much larger the kitchen looked & how the traffic flow was improved.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Haha K Laurence! I'm surprised the kitchen police didn't come in and fine you!

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    5 years ago

Taking a closer look at your plans I would agree with one larger Island with lots of seating- Two main Reasons-

1. Your proposed second island is protruding into the fluid circulation pathway leading throughout the main floor- this will lead to a visual obstruction to the flow of your home as wells create a more undefined space.

2. The distance proposed between the stove and the island is 5' - I would recommend reducing this to at least 4' (as a min. in NKBA guidelines) to avoid unnecessary travel with pots and prepared food to and from the sink- ( I often allow as little as 3'-6" to make the as little as 3'-6" to enhance ergonomic function and reduce unnecessary travel)

Keep in mind your Lighting needs in this area as well as you want to avoid too many suspended pendant fixtures- ensure that you have adequate recessed down-lights illuminating all surfaces as well as some directed on the face of the cabinetry- This will create a bright open spacious feeling throughout ...

Christie Austin thanked Geraghty and Associates
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Local newspaper "house of the week" today. Kitchen has two huge islands. Small double sink and DW in one of them. Couldn't tell if there is a larger single sink elsewhere, but I doubt it. It's an older single woman living alone. I doubt she has huge parties where she does all the cooking. Frankly, it was a horrible kitchen but probably cost a fortune.

I don't like sitting on a high stool at an island or peninsula. I much prefer a table. I really don't understand the infatuation with enormous islands. But if I had the room, I'd have a big scrubbed pine or antique walnut kitchen table. I could then have a place to sit and do prep work - as one ages, a place to it down while cooking is invaluable. Don't have room in my kitchen. Right now, I'm just trying to find a place for a kitchen stool to sit on when I poop out when cooking. It's that or the dog's water dish. Don't think that is optional - dogs don't think so, either!

Christie Austin thanked Anglophilia
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Do not skim over comments to try to comprehend the content. Some people use the words like "poop" and "dog" in the same area and misunderstandings can occur.

• diamondsnthesky
    5 years ago

Definitely one large island!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

Another vote for one island. I like damiarain's layout much better than the original, but if you want to preserve the symmetry of the double windows, you could put the fridge and freezer on the short wall, opposite the original location. It would be better to move the entry on the left down a couple of feet, to avoid conflict with the DW door.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

And now for a completely new idea:

Ditch the island. You have room for a huge and unbelievable peninsula kitchen...

Christie Austin thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Dear
    Christie,

Congratulations
    on getting the opportunity of building a new home!

You
    can’t get much help and certainly not the help you really want and need when
    you ask either or questions.

Mostly
    what you’ll get is opinion. I’d give you my opinion but without knowing what
    your problem really is, it wouldn’t be helpful to you.

Tell
    us how you feel and what it is you really want. What’s bothering you about
    where you are stuck right now?

What you are experiencing happens to almost
    everyone taking on a kitchen project. That wants more than a trendy new kitchen to replace their old one.

You should be a little freaked out. How can you possibly be really good at something you haven't done many times before?

I’m
    going to go out on a limb and say it’s not just a new kitchen you want but a
    new life.

You’re designing and building a new home so you can begin your new,
    easier, better life. The one you really want that you don’t get to live in your
    existing home right now.

It’s
    obvious that you have doubt and uncertainty, because your layout with one island
    has cabinetry nomenclature on it. Which means it’s supposed to be your final
    plan, and your cabinetry is ready for ordering. You might even feel pressured to
    finalize and order.

Since
    you haven’t ordered your cabinetry you have doubts if this is the kitchen you
    really want and expect to get. Your doubt and uncertainty are well founded and
    your intuition is right!

You
    want Proof that your intuition is right, right? No problem you can prove this
    to yourself by answering a very simple very obvious question. Almost no one
    asks this until AFTER their new kitchen is done and it too late. Most designers don't ask their clients it either.

Imagine
    this first. Everyone working on your new kitchen project is done and gone. You’re alone in your beautiful new kitchen thrilled
    and moving in. You’re standing in your new kitchen, surrounded by all of your boxes
    packed from your old one.

What I want you to do now is answer this very simple question.

“Where are all of your
    kitchen items from your old kitchen going to go in your new one?”

Seems
    like a pretty obvious question. It’s also an extremely powerful one. Because if
    you ask it BEFORE your new kitchen design drawings are done it changes Everything!

Until
    now you haven’t been asked it. So answer it now. Get out your kitchen design
    drawings, using your kitchen layout (plan) and interior elevations and locate
    all of your kitchen items.

If
    you don’t know where to begin, your kitchen design drawings are not the
    directions for creating the kitchen you really want, need, and expect to begin
    living your new life in.

They are plans to simply replace your old kitchen with
    a new one in your new home. And you'll figure out how your new kitchen works, where all your stuff goes, and if it fits. On your own as you're moving in by Adapting to your new kitchen and making do with what you got.

Click this link for a DIY Solution https://www.kitchendesignco.com/new-kitchen-doesnt-work/

Before
    right now you believed these drawings were going to deliver the kitchen you
    really wanted. You have your doubts. Now you are certain beyond any doubt that
    they won’t.

So, what happens if you don’t locate all of your items and revise your kitchen design drawings?

You’ll
    get a beautiful new kitchen everyone else loves,but no new life. Certainly not the new, easier, better life you could have had and
    were expecting.

If you continue without properly
    answering the question, you’ll be forced to adapt to yet another kitchen you
    inherited.

Only this time it won’t be the one you inherited when you bought the home you're in now. The one you had to adapt to, by putting your things where ever they fit. And as long as you know where everything is you'll make do.

This time it’s your new kitchen that you'll have to adapt to and make do with. That you inherited from your designer.

Then you'll realize you missed your big opportunity for real lasting life and home improvement.

New
    Kitchen = New Life Inside the World’s Perfect Kitchen

Joe
    Brandao

Kitchen Design Company

P.S.:
    Here are perspectives of a client’s kitchen drawn with Two Island and with One.
    They are very different kitchens. She decided to go with two Islands. I like one, but I don’t get to decide because I don't live in her home.

• Natalie Volkoff
    5 years ago

I have the same situation, kitchen size 22 x 16 - and getting inclined towards 2 islands. Which option was your choice, if you don't mind?

• HU-437155310
    4 years ago

I was looking for an answer to this same question. We have 4 kids and I guess I’m spoiled but a kitchen with two islands isn’t too big lol. I can tell you I have had an island 5.5 x 9 ft and it was nice and impressive but too big. Not to mention finding the countertop material in one slab, because yeah I’m spoiled. one thing I HATE about my current kitchen is the main sink in the island, specifically across from the stove. This clutters up the work triangle if you are a two person working family. Because we have 4 kids it’s not uncommon for one person to be doing dishes while another is using the stove. This is why I’m thinking of switching to two islands. Mine would be 4.5 ft by 6.75 ft. With the second being 2.25 ft by 6.75 ft. Or I can keep my current huge island and add one in seating area with a built in kitchen table. The reason for two islands (which I would have a small prep sink in one and a main dish sink in another) is to have one prep area and one area for dirty dishes. If you make large complicated meals there can be a lot of dishes or pans that are soiled while making it. If the only space for prep you have is also your space to put these dishes it’s very hard to continue. Also, baking. If you love to bake a two island set up is way better. A large sink clutters prep area. Another point is kids and homework. If your kids like working at the island or If you tend to have paperwork on your island and you have a sink that may be an issue. We’ve had a few thinks ruined that way. I know it’s not popular but it’s a good argument for having a raised seating area instead of counter height. It’s your kitchen, make it work for you. How it looks to others means nothing.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Or you can start a new thread, post your floor plan and get some excellent advice for a better solution than just one huge island or two islands where one isn't even worth doing in terms of size. And both are not long enough.

And if you post your plan, most of us will be able to find you a different place for your cleanup sink.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

It would also help to choose an actual username. It's too difficult to differentiate between all these HU-XXXXXXX and to know who is the OP and who is just commenting.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sometimes 2 islands are just fine:

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

If two is good, three is even better right?

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If two is good, three is even better right?

In all fairness, *something* has to happen when a kitchen lacks interior walls *and* has lots of windows on the sole exterior one.... lol

My kids would drive me nuts running in circles and weaving between 3 islands. :-O

• Ann Q
    6 months ago

I'm glad you ended up going with two Islands -- it looks terrific! We're doing a big reno and will have two 10'6" islands.

The professional in this thread saying "your kitchen is just too big" must not be used to dealing with higher end houses and should probably stay in her lane.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Except, they didn't. Because it is a terrible design choice. And just waiting on the SPAM link here for this necrothread.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.