webuser_71660

window advice on south facing extension...

Tani H-S
5 years ago

After feedback on our final extension design suggesting adding in more windows across the back of the extension, I wanted to ask for separate advice on the best options before I put them to our steel engineer to re-do the calculations again as it will change the spec.

So as it is, we are South facing with all day on the back of the house until late afternoon where it moved to the West and stays at the bottom of the garden until late.

I had plans for just bi-folds across the back and one window in the kitchen area above the sink (not on my original design shown below but added back in on the second design)

Suggested to add two side windows either side of the bi-folds but the traffic door (which will be the only back door) ideally needs to be closer to the edge of the island so it can be accessed easily from the lounge/dining area and not be awkward.

We have plans to have 3 rooflights in - one going in between the kitchen units, one in the centre of the room and one over the dining room.

Worried we will

a) too many windows so it will be really hot??

b) not enough light if we don't have that many windows?

Advice appreciated please. On a tight budget so can't afford the opening rooflights or fancy bi-folds with blinds in etc so what do you experts suggest as the best layout/quantity for them?

thank you!!!

1 x image as I had originally planned - just one set of 4m bi-folds)

2nd images with 3m bi-folds and 2 side windows plus the smaller window in the kitchen over the prep sink (proposed new plans)

Can't show the rooflights on here but explained above.

Comments (23)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.