webuser_755858209

Patio shading on single storey extension and bifolds

HU-755858209
5 years ago

We have an almost finished single storey extension with hipped lean to roof. Still to be rendered and garden a blank canvas right now!

It's a SW facing garden and we have full width bifolds and 2 large velux... so yes hot!

We've installed awning blinds over the velux which has solved the solar gain from above but next step is to design shading that we can have over the bifolds and the soon-to-be patio area at the back of the house.

We're struggling to come up with design ideas for the area at the back of the house. Shading needs to be optional (to allow solar gain in winter but prevent it and glare in summer).

We've tested out a shade sail, attached to the house, which was OK but a bit of hassle to put up/down. It also didn't quite block out the sun in the middle part of the doors as the fabric is pulled in all directions.

As you see above, we've trialled out a cantilevered parasol, which was pretty decent but didn't look good right up against the wall and has to be pretty big to cover the 3.5m bifolds fully. The one above is only 3m.

Lean to pergolas with retractable awnings sounds like a good option but we're not sure how that will look against a single storey extension with a sloped roof. Can't see any examples on the net. Also having that one post in the way...

Any stylish ideas for the shading and patio area would be most appreciated!

Comments (19)

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    How about a louvered pergola. The slats are adjustable so you can have shade/sun and also can also be waterproof so you can sit out even on a rainy day. Expensive option I know and doesn’t help with a post being in the way, they do look good tho. Quick google search came up with this: https://www.cbsolarshading.co.uk/outdoor-living-pod
  • HU-755858209
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes I had seen louvered roof systems, just the cost really in that case.

Also what a structure like that (or pergola) would like off a single storey extension with hipped/lean to roof. Haven't seen any examples, always seems to be off a main house/2 storey.

• minipie
    5 years ago

Electric retractable awning mounted on the house itself? Not cheap again but very easy and won't take up any garden space. Weinor is one brand. Only potential issue is that I can't see how much space you have between the top of your doors and guttering, so not sure if it would be enough.

• HU-755858209
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments! Yes, space above the doors is limited and not very strong right now, although rendering will strengthen it up. I have looked at retractable awnings but the angle is likely insufficient. I think they need 14 degree pitch and we just won't have that. The doors are 2.1m high and the ground patio level will be brought up to the sill.

• minipie
    5 years ago

Oh I see, yes that's an issue. How about roller blinds above your bifolds on the inside? Downside of course is you lose the view out, and doesn't provide patio shade, but it's fairly cheap and simple.

• HU-755858209
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We already have integral Venetian blinds in the glass but we want to have the bifolds open when it's nice weather, not shut it out just because of the sun!

• Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    I have seen parasols that have a flat edge! Like half a parasol (half circle I think they are called??) and that would sit right up against your wall
  • HU-755858209
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Tani. Well, the one we have trialled is square so technically it can sit right up against the wall... however, I'm just not sure aesthetically it looks right. They look better "free-standing" in their own space.

• Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    The half round one might work better as they come out at the side unlike the square one ie
  • LTS
    5 years ago
    Ha I could have written this post myself! We also have a single storey extension with integral blinds in our 4m bifold doors...our garden is west facing meaning sun all afternoon/evening. We looked at cantilever parasols last weekend but I am just not sure...it would be upwards of £1k. Our air con is being hooked up next week so at least we will be cool when the bifolds are closed but that doesn’t solve the issue of wanting to enjoy the doors open when we want. I also looked at awnings but we have downlighters in our soffits which we wouldn’t be able to use. Decisions decision....
  • whippet girl
    5 years ago
    Tuin do a pergola with retractable canopy 5m X 3m
  • User
    5 years ago
    Whippet girl - do you have the product details as I cannot find it?
    Thank you
  • Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    We have one of those as well. Metal framed - grey powder coated.

I searched for ‘retractable roof gazebo’ and found them
  • and_99
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

edited... posted by mistake!

• HU-755858209
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes I did see Tuin’s Offering. You can get the retractable awning separately so did wonder about that. It’s 5m wide, no option for other sizes (and they say don’t ask!)

• Vicky Pow
    last year

Hi, just interested if you found a solution in the end?

• Khadijah Umar
    yesterday

Same! im interested too if you found a solution as i have a similar issue. I want an awning (doesnt take up floor space), but very limited space above the window/french door and between the faschia. Apparently you can get around that by using cantilever brackets/ spreaders, but my husband isn’t keen as he‘s concerned about any potential issues to the brickwork/roof. also, it’s pretty expensive!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.