melanie_norton34

What Sealant coat to stop dust?

Melanie Norton
5 years ago
Can anyone recomend whats the best clear sealant coating to paint over my exposed stonework in my cottage.
The dust has been hell to get to this stage now all I need to do is find a coating to stop any further dust around the house.
All advice welcome as love to get it done this weekend.
Ideally want it clear so as colour doesnt go any darker.
Any extra advice on cheap way to tidy around my window/window seat (till I've monry to get new window)most welcome.
Thank you

Comments (8)

• Angie
    5 years ago
    I can't answer your question, just bumping this in case someone else can advise.
    The wall looks great btw.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Not an expert on this but I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t use PVA to seal exposed stone, especially if you have used lime mortar/plaster or if the building is rendered on the outside. Have you tried just washing the walls with water, this should eliminate the remaining dust and not effect the walls ability to breathe. Or you could add a bit of lime putty mixed with the water and give it a lime wash. Not sure about the window sill but I think some traditional painted joinery would look nice, perhaps with a tongue and groove panel on the uppy bit (technical term;)) or even some traditional solid wood shutters.
  • Melanie Norton
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks guys rethinking pva too much negativity. some said thompsons water seal, someone else recomended bostik builders sealant (cant remember exact name) seems quite few saying pva will stick.
  • Melanie Norton
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Mistake I meant "Bond It Builders Complete Stabilizing Solution" This is what someone else suggested.
    Kingfisher Interior Brick and Dust Sealer is another I found think I will have to order though which is but pain else try Builders merchants none open over weekend.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Agree, the advice online is very conflicting. But did read that a stabilizing solution would be best. Also read somewhere that someone used a Matt finish patio sealant with good results. Like I said I’m no expert so hopefully there maybe someone on here that can advise better than I can. Wishing you all the best with your renovation.
  • Melanie Norton
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Rachel.Pays take advice etc . I got plenty spare stone so can do a tester 1st.
  • Lisa S
    3 years ago

Hi Melanie, apologies for unearthing an old thread but can you tell me what you used in the end and if you were happy with the results? I've just finished pointing our own wall and wondering what to do with it now. I need to clean it down too. Did you use a cleaner of some sort or just water?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.