valia_simonson

Fireplace Dilema

Hi all!

Need help updating this very dated and unique looking fireplace... Would like it to look a little more modern, and have a mantle... Is this easy to do?

Any suggestions welcomed!

Thank you!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Vesta Homes, LLP
    5 years ago

The easiest way to update this would be to place tile or stone veneer on the bottom half of the fireplace. Otherwise, I would say you would have to either remove it or build out the fireplace. Building codes will come into play with the second option and would need a professional involved.

Valia Simonson Designs thanked Vesta Homes, LLP
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Love the unique fireplace and would not change it except take off the framed art and glass doors. I have added andirons. What I find visually disturbing is the baby nursing glider as a lounge chair in the room. I would replace that & add a wreath.

Valia Simonson Designs thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Valia Simonson Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all! GREAT feedback :) I agree that their decor is not the greatest... trying to help a family member update her house a bit... I really appreciate all your comments!

• PRO
    Valia Simonson Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner what program did you use for the mock up? Photoshop?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Please don't touch this fireplace. I'll have to come hurt you if you do. I would showcase it, pretty much remove everything around it, then find one really cool art deco or art nouveau piece to put in the niche. (This fabulous candlestick is only $1500 at 1st Dibs.)

Valia Simonson Designs thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Valia Simonson Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hahahah @groveraxle

• PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    5 years ago

It's beautiful! But we can appreciate wanting something more modern. What kind of finishes were you considering for the fireplace?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I just use PAINT from Microsoft Windows to cut and paste.

Valia Simonson Designs thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    5 years ago

I will hold you down while groveraxle knocks sense into you. That is a lovely unique fireplace. Highlight it with simplicity as Groveraxel suggests.

Valia Simonson Designs thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • redoredone
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Don't try to update and ruin it. It's beautiful as it is. It will add interest to any decor you choose, modern, traditional, transitional, contemporary, anything you decide to use with it. PS...I think its classic, not dated.

Valia Simonson Designs thanked redoredone
  • Kim Q
    5 years ago
    This is gorgeous!!!
    Valia Simonson Designs thanked Kim Q
  • PRO
    Valia Simonson Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all! I really have to say that I am almost convinced to leave it as is... Maybe just paint the rustications and update the doors as COASTROAD Hearth & Patio suggested.... Appreciate everyone's feedback!

• goluscombe
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The stone-work around the fireplace looks very Art Deco to me. Have you considered stripping the paint off the tiles to see what lies below? You could have some very nice tiles under the paint. The hearth tiles are probably the standard red they used in the day.

I wouldn't recommend altering the fireplace other than with paint; that fireplace is a gorgeous architectual element that people would love.

Valia Simonson Designs thanked goluscombe
  • PRO
    Humphries Poli Architects
    5 years ago
    I would leave the fireplace as is, and update with paint/remove the doors. Another option is to add some of the "modern" pattern tiles that are popular now. Just at the bottom, before the "chimney" furrs up, and maybe paint the top portion. Id pick a tile that would fuse your preferred style & compliment the existing Architectural detail.
    Valia Simonson Designs thanked Humphries Poli Architects
  • PRO
    Valia Simonson Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update! We decided to just remove the glass inserts and paint the trim black. Looks AMAZING :)

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

W-O-W. love when the Houzz community speaks and the results are amazing!

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    5 years ago

Beautiful!

• jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    The fireplace looks quite modern compared to the chair. Remove the pictures, and use the hollow for flowers or a plane; otherwise,
    don’t touch it.
  • PRO
    Valia Simonson Designs
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    All you @COASTROAD Hearth & Patio!!! Thank you so much for the fantastic suggestion!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Vava, the whole room looks amazing! Nice work!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.