resh_likes_renovating_stuff

Victorian Renovation in London Part 4 - snagging and garden

Resh
6 April, 2018

Hi all, I started part 4 as part 3 is at nearly 250 posts and scrolling down is a pain. See links below for the previous threads.

We have just got back from a couple of weeks away and the builders are basically done inside. Now we start a long process of tidying up, cleaning, and furnishing the house. And we start the garden landscaping in a couple of weeks...

Part 1

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/4802325/victorian-house-inspiration-please#20893575

Part 2

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/4911251/victorian-renovation-in-london-part-2#21218141

Part 3

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/5007838/victorian-renovation-in-london-part-3-finish-line#21989202

• AMB
    Ooo, congratulations Resh and Mrs Resh. I hope it all went well and you bring your daughter home soon to your lovely house. It has been an amazing journey to follow.

I love that despite the birth you still feel the need to tinker with the lights. Let's have some photos of the nursery!
  • Angie
    Congratulations! Hope all is well with Mrs Resh and your daughter. You've done so much in under a year and can hopefully enjoy living in the family home you have created. So glad I happened upon your first thread about this house. It's been an inspiring read, thank you for sharing. Angie
  • Jill Oultram

Congratulations Mr and Mrs Resh on the arrival of your daughter.

OnePlan
    Yay !!!! Congrats ! So delighted for you all :-)
  • Laura Ford-Thomas
    Congratulations! Enjoy your fabulous family home - baby Resh is one lucky girl to have this space to grow and play in.

Fingers crossed she never draws on the wallpaper!
  • wendy Anderson
    Oh Resh this is just the best news - and after such a difficult journey to get your baby daughter. I could not be happier for all of you. Many many congratulations. Enjoy every moment. I'm smiling lots as I type this.
  • Denisa Cardoso

Hi Resh

I am not sure if you still monitor this, but in case you do...

Just out of interest, not sure if anyone has asked or whether you have mentioned anything regarding doors and door frames. Did you change anything in this regard or are they all original? I am asking as we live in a 30's house and were forced to change the doors as they were warped to the point of not being able to close at all. Since they don't make those sort of door sizes anymore, we were then forced to re-do all the door frames.

• Resh
    Hi Denisa - I do look at this, but don't have many updates as the new arrival is taking all of our time! as for doors, ours are original and we were missing a few, in very odd sizes. I found one old door on eBay and restored it. for the others, I made custom doors with two sheets of 18mm ply and trim to look Victorian. heavy (dealt with by mounting properly on heavy duty hinges), but easy and inexpensive.
  • Denisa Cardoso

That didn't even occur to me.

Thank you for finding the time to reply. Wishing you and your family all the best!

• Resh

I will update with a house pic soon - have to start working on the front garden soon. but I thought I should post a pic of baby Resh for you long-suffering Houzzers who have followed 4 instalments of this renovation. Phone shot of my computer as I edit some photos whilst baby sleeps on my chest, and Mrs Resh snatches some sleep, in our almost-finished family home. I used to spend these evening hours designing this house!

colourhappy

What a little beauty, congrats!

• Karen
    Beautiful baby! Congratulations :-)
  • hbbbb
    Many congratulations! I love following your renovation updates and I am a sucker for happy endings. I hope you and your family enjoy your beautiful home.
  • Carolina

Your (and Mrs Resh') design skills extend to babies too, I see ;-) What a beautiful little girl.

• Hannah D
    Congratulations Resh she's a little beaut! As a mum of 3 hairy little girls I have a soft spot for babies with hair x
  • Angie
    She's lovely Resh. Congratulations. A lucky girl to be growing up in your lovely home.
  • Patrina
    Beautiful thank you for sharing her with us Resh
  • hesam yavari

Hey Resh, congrats on the baby! just sent you a mail. i've just purchased a old Victorian and need to refurbish! :-) would be great to use your spreadsheet. spent an my hole gym time following your post yesterday...great insite into your journey.

• wendy Anderson
    Oh Reah, she is absolutely beautiful! And what a happy, contented girl she looks. I wish all three of you the most wonderful time together, making the best memories in your amazing home. I feel like we've all been on this journey with you....
  • wendy Anderson
    Argh, Resh even!
  • Jill Oultram

What a beautiful little girl Resh.

OnePlan
    Ahhh ! Adorable !! :-)
  • Resh

Work outside continues with the last major bit to do being landscaping at the front. This is going to have to wait until next year, but will not be overly elaborate: just gravel and some flower beds. in the meantime, we have fitted two sets of double gates for parking, and I have planted some (hopefully) fast growing laurel for a hedge. Let's see if it survives my amateur efforts. others on the street have some lovely hedges from the same plant, so...

incidentally you can see next door's grand house in one of these pics (the neighbours are lovely and a source of great garden and planting ideas). we are a long way from looking that pretty!

before pic for some spot the difference!

• Carolina

I bet your neighbours are happy with you too. It'll look lovely and grand when the front garden is finished and the hedge starts growing. Laurel can cope with a lot, so I'm pretty sure they'll do well. Gate looks good.

• Resh

Thanks Carolina! And here are some pics of the nursery. Not exactly done up properly yet (more a case of bunging stuff in there), but one day this will be the playroom. Staying green - no pink themes here for the baby. Lots of pics to put on the wall but also needs functional storage and play materials . Things like houseplants need to be rethought once Baby Resh is mobile as apparently most are poisonous. Probably best to teach her not to eat them...

• Carolina

Baby Resh is well equipped for the future. Yes, eating plants, unless they are called broccoli or carrots, is probably not a good idea.

• E D

Phew Resh, there's finally something you've done to the house I'm not blown away by! :)

I feel the black window frames at the front are a little too much. There is quite a bit of contrast already on the groundfloor with the upper floors so I feel having the continuity of the white windows would perhaps work better.

For some reason the black guttering stands out more, making it look 'busy'. Did you have to add more (horizontal) guttering?

• AMB
    I think the black and white frames work well.
  • Resh
    Black window frames are definitely a marmite thing on these buildings. I love them, and eventually the top floor windows will be black too. And that grim magnolia pebbledash will be repainted an interesting colour, most likely a heritage olive green. But that is years away as we’d need scaffolding etc. As for the drains, the ugly horizontal ones we had to install will go once we do the drive, and install a new foul drain. There’s a lot of work left to do to the front of the house...
  • E D

Ah ok. That all makes sense! Again...:)

I actually don't mind black window frames per se and consistency (for all the front windows) will definitely look much better.

• Resh
    More photos as we style more rooms - looking more like a home now! Lots of green shades on the ground floor, which was the plan. It works with a surprising number of other accent shades.
  • Resh
    A few more of some ground floor rooms.
  • Resh
    Some before shots for comparison:
  • Resh
    Entrance and master bath.
  • Resh
    Some other baths.
  • Milly Moo

beautiful! well done. The amount of time it takes just to actually choose everything too, you have a great eye- fab result

• Emmanuelle
    I love the style of your lounge, Resh! Bit retro, bit botanical... it’s so very homely!
  • AMB
    Whahey! You've managed to hide the bath salts/plant food!
  • AMB
    The kitchen and dining room look beautiful. They are my favourite rooms. I have some questions:
    Where are the towel radiators from in the kitchen?
    Please post a photo of the study, I don't think we have seen a finished photo yet?
    The doors between the living room and dining room, are they on runners to open and close? How do they work?

I'd like to see the house decorated for Christmas!
  • Carolina

Beautiful!

• Resh
    Thanks all! AMB study is painted but not styled - my computer etc are in there so it just looks like a messy study at the moment. Radiators are bathroom spec towel rails: mine came from an online bathroom shop. And the doors between dining area and living room are the old patio doors, repurposed. They are fitted with Hafele pivot hinges that mount above and below the door so they can swing into either area.
  • AMB
    Thanks Resh, very useful.

Keep us posted! :)
    FAIRFAX FLOORING

What a fabulous house, absolutely stunning! Adore the flooring in the living/dining :)

Resh thanked FAIRFAX FLOORING
  • amandaccc

Hello Resh

Please could you send your spreadsheet onto me too?

I have just followed ... many thanks :)

• Resh

Will do! And Happy New Year everyone. Have a belated picture of a temporarily rearranged living room, with tree in the bay window.

• Nisha Parekh
    Gorgeous tree!
  • Resh

Belated thanks, Nisha.

So I have compiled some albums of photos so you don't have to trawl through all the threads. Hopefully this works: someone let me know by posting, please?

Completed house:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=one_set72157700454483311

The whole, messy, process:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reshington/albums/72157684375457971

• Hannah D

Hi Resh, I've been a silent follower/admirer (wasn't meant to sound that creepy!). The second link works for me but not the first. Maybe it's just me?

Resh thanked Hannah D
  • Resh

Thanks Hannah! Probably the privacy settings. I shall have a check...and let me know what you think of the place! Feedback is always good...

• Hannah D
    Hi Resh. I had to log in and then got this? I'm so excited to see all the photos in one place I signed up to a Flickr account! ♀️