handev

New kitchen idea - is it a bit odd?

Hannah D
Hi. I've asked for advice before on rearranging our downstairs layout but still haven't settled on a plan. I'd like your opinion on an idea my mother came up with last night please.

We love the current open plan nature of the kitchen/dining/family area but the kitchen doesn't have enough storage or workspace and just doesn't feel like a kitchen!

We've considered loads of options but they all have issues. Mam's suggestion is making the dining area and kitchen all kitchen by having a big island where the dining table currently is, having all storage and units in the current kitchen area, using either the family area as dining room and the office as a snug, or family room as it is and office as dining.

I'm having trouble seeing the dining area and kitchen as one space. Do you think it would look disjointed? Sorry for the long post ☺️

• Hannah D
    Hi Ashley, that's our family room at the moment. We will need a study but are considering having one in the garden. The utility room would stay where it is between the kitchen and office. There is cupboard space there but not much. Thanks
  • Related Discussions

Any ideas for final touches to this living/dinning room?

Q

The trim in your rooms is outstanding. To "tie the rooms together", the one thing I would do is install chair rail the same color as the existing trim. The horizontal lines of chair rail will move the eye around the room and into the next room creating a flow. Chair rail is relatively inexpensive, easy to install and would be wonderful compliment to your existing beautiful trim.
    ...See More

New kitchen, but just not working.

Q

fragle0 ... congratulations on the new addition to your family. Have been following your lovely changes. You probably won't have time to work on the decor for a while. Just wanted to suggest that you try pulling the nesting tables forward to be more in line with front of the chairs & placing your floor lamp to the back of them. This will give a bit more light at night for reading in that area.Also switching the plant by the fireplace & the one on the corner by the sofa.
    ...See More

Large Entryway of a bungalow ideas

Q

Hi, you have a lovely home! I read through your thread, and I like Dar Eckarts suggestion above the best. I think because of the symmetry of it as an H shaped house is symmetrical, and it would also keep the space looking decorated but still open and uncluttered which is what an entrance should be. Sorry, but I don't care for the bookcase idea in an entrance. I also noticed the masks you have, and think it would be great to decorate the space using them as inspiration. Here is a photo to show you the kind of rug I think would work here.
    ...See More

Desperately indecisive couple looking for advice on new kitchen/dining

Q

Where are you based? Would like to work on this project with you. Jade x
    ...See More
  • ashleyizz
    the brown sofa in dining area, could that go elsewhere.
    I
    then you could make the island double width with storage both sides?
    maybe make more use of the utility area as a type of pantry for all the things used less often ?
    and incorporate some better storage into dining area for the 'good plates' on display
    Divine Design
    Just a quick question. Do you currently use your utility room and if so for what? It seems a very bad use of the space with just two presses.
  • Emma Bould
    If you removed the sofa and the small dividing wall, you could fit an island through the middle of that space and still use your window seat as a dining area. I guess you big challenge is wall space to put cupboards against. If your island captured the sink and hob, use the island as your bench space also, you could maximise the cupboard space around the walls in your existing kitchen space with full height units and wall mount your ovens.
  • Emma Bould
    Maybe a little like this
    Northallerton Kitchen · More Info
    Divine Design
    You could block up one if the doors I have marked in black. I don’t think you need both.
    Remove peninsula etc marked in blue.
    Move your kitchen into the middle room. Keep the chimney. Fit the kitchen on all walls. (Green in my quick sketch) & add a large Island.
    Lots of lighting tricks to add indirect light. Making the new kitchen bright and inviting.
    Put dining table in current kitchen and the rest of room is living space. Flooded with natural light and where you will spend most of your time.

But the dining table in what is now the kitchen.
  • A B

Have you considered using a concept planner? I had what a very awkward layout and a long wish list similar to yours which I'd been thinking about for months! Working with a pro I now have everything I wanted on my wish list in the plans :)

OnePlan
    Morning - this is the sort of project we deal with very often. On a practical standing - you need to locate where the plumbing waste can go as a first point . Take a walk outside and see if there if there is any plumbing coming out on the left side of the house - if there isn’t -then you will need to keep the kitchen on the side where plumbing can be dealt with.
    The great news is that in a room(s) of these proportions there’s lots of scope for some really great designs !
    Click on my icon or name to read some past client reviews or look at some past projects if you like !
    User
    last modified: 2 years ago

Was just having a quick play, as got up very early!!!

Karen @ OnePlan is absolutely right ( as usual ), it's a big undertaking, and, on the face of it, it seems a shame to alter things to much though, as the space is lovely already. So, I'd consider how much of a change you want and a budget, then see where that takes you.

• Jonathan
    I think that you need to check the sizes. If the arch is smaller than 2.8 m wide then there won’t be enough room for an island to go through it and to walk around it.
    Are you still thinking of having a ground floor extension? If so I think my suggestion (on an earlier discussion) of putting the kitchen in the new bit is still worth considering because you don’t have to use that area as a corridor to anywhere else and there is loads of wall space for cabinets
  • Kenny Miller
    I like the balance of your areas so I’d keep it simple. Block up the door between your kitchen and hall, then put a new kitchen in. Use the wall where the door was for full run of talls. Get rid of the fridge freezer (looks great but not an efficient use of space) and replace with an integrated (we have a full height integrated fridge which has useful storage above). You can then have a L-shaped run of worktop and wall units on the other 2 walls. Get the extra high wall units that get you as close to the ceiling as possible to maximise storage - my wife can’t reach ours but it’s not a big deal because we use the highest shelves for the stuff we only occasionally need. Also we had a corner hob like yours in our old kitchen - it adds visual interest but wastes the space behind it. Get an induction hob - brilliant things that are easy to keep clean. Stick to white for the wall units and talls to help the space feel light and airy. Add texture or colour with the base units.

As someone else said, your utility room seems a waste of space but I think maximising your existing kitchen space would be sufficient - unless you need a lot more worktop and storage than we do.

Just my opinion, but I don’t think there’s much wrong with your layout that a good hard think about the design of a new kitchen can’t put right!

Best of luck.
  • Hannah D
    Wow, thanks everyone!
    Divine design - the utility has the washer/dryer, boiler and some shelf space. I've been contemplating whether I really need the utility or could take that wall down and just have double doors to the toilet and study instead, but I couldn't live without it! (Three children and no discipline with laundry ). Thanks Emma, I love that pic! Unfortunately the gap isn't wide enough. We will ask a builder if the arch could be made bigger but we doubt it .
    Hi Jen and Oneplan - I actually emailed Karen a couple of weeks ago regarding fees. I'm hoping for a firmer idea of what we want first - but that's not looking likely!
    Man about the house that's a really interesting idea, thank you. My husband would love the front to back aspect so I'll show him this!
    Hi Jonathan. You're right, the arch only 2.6 so too small. We're still contemplating making the back bigger, that would take the study/utility area to approx 7.5 x 4metres. I love the idea of the kitchen being in the lightest part and making the most of the garden.
    No one seems to be thinking an island in the dining space (and under the roof lantern) would be the best plan.
    Thank you for all your comments, I really appreciate your help. If we ever make a decision on this I'll let you know!
  • Hannah D
    And thanks Kenny. I did think about blocking the kitchen door, but then from the front door you’d come into a hallway with no door at the end of it and thought that might be odd? It would be a nice solution though. Thanks
  • Kenny Miller

You’re welcome handev. I was just trying to keep it simple and save you some cash!

We had a similar dilemma and had dozens of plans for reconfiguring our layout, but in the end fully opening up our kitchen and dining area (which you already have) and putting a lot of thought into maximising the kitchen layout has given us a great solution. Our new kitchen is in exactly the same location as the old but feels twice as big and is so much more usable.

I hear what you’re saying about the end wall of the hallway having no door. Personally I’d make a feature of it - maybe a big mirror, feature wallpaper or artwork. How about completely covering the wall in framed pictures - scenic, family or whatever floats your boat!

• A B

Please update when you have the final layout!

• Hannah D
    Thanks everyone. While I have the thread open, does anyone have a good app for visualising external changes? We’ve had the attached plans drawn up for a proposed top floor extension (which would coincide with the work downstairs) but no windows have been put in the top floor and a window and door have been removed from downstairs. As we’d see that wall from the garden and kitchen area we don’t want it to be a slab. Any apps I can play around with before going back to the architect please??