twamleyk

Oh dear... Advice urgently needed!

twamleyk
6 years ago

Hi All,

I had a new front door installed today - below is the before and after (white before, grey after). Sorry the light is so bad in the photo of the after, they took a long time to install. Over all it's an improvement, but I am not happy with the key pull, which was placed at waist level, rather than at shoulder level, where I had requested it.

It's a composite door, so in order to push for what I asked, the whole door needs to be replaced. The ring pull is also bigger and bulkier than the one I requested and the post box is wrong - the latter is being replaced, not sure yet about the ring pull, I am speaking with the manager tomorrow.

Thoughts? Is it as awful as I think it is? Should I push for a complete refit to get the key pull up higher?

Our house is Victorian, and I wanted a door that looked as authentic as possible (yes, timber is nicer, but it's a long story why we eventually went for composite and actually, other than the above, I am quite happy).

All opinions welcome (bar 'you should have got a timber door!)!

Thanks!

Comments (25)

• Daisy England
    6 years ago

If it's a normal cylinder key it should be fitted around 4'6" (1350mm) high. Why on earth have they fitted it there? It doesn't look right. Personally I'd be playing up over it especially if you've already asked them to fit it at shoulder height.

• minipie
    6 years ago

Ours is at waist height because the frame around our glass panels is too thin to allow for it higher.. It's been a total pain with small children as they have learned to let themselves out. It's also a security risk as would be possible to reach apit with an implement via the letterbox. We've had to install extra locks and use the chain. Suggest you push for it to be refitted higher since that is what you asked for, especially as it's not merely an aesthetic preference but also a practical issue.

• twamleyk
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks both. Mini pie, what does 'to reach spit' mean? Thanks,

• minipie
    6 years ago

Typo! "To reach it" is what I meant.

• twamleyk
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    More photos...
  • twamleyk
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The installers have offered £200 discount or a new door. My husband prefers the discount. Thoughts?
  • Kathy
    6 years ago
    Take the Discount!
  • Angie
    6 years ago
    I'd have a new door. It's a lovely door but the position of the lock just looks wrong to me.
  • gemm_thomas
    6 years ago
    I'd go with a new door as think it would always annoy you! It looks lovely otherwise though.
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago

No don't take the discount. That's a cop out. New door. You'll be forever looking at it and wish you had it replaced.

• Sonia
    6 years ago
    It’s a lovely door but I agree the lock is lower than it should be, but not a complete disaster is it? I don’t understand why people get het up with such trivialities. I’m with your husband on this. Think of that lovely discount!
  • minipie
    6 years ago

Depends whether you have, or will have, toddlers. Trust me it is a real pain if they can reach the lock before age 3 or 4.

• Lisa D
    6 years ago
    Nice door - not sure I would have noticed Anything was wrong if you hadn’t said. My composite door has more of a handle there, but prob same locking mechanism. I have small kids, they can open the door but it’s not a thing they do randomly. Depends how long you will live there... if you’re planning to move on in a few years take the cash...
  • LTS
    6 years ago
    Door looks great. If you decide to accept the cash then you could put one of these on t PhD back of the door out of kids reach. We used one for years but the little buggers are nearly as tall as me now!

http://www.morehandles.co.uk/security-door-guard-j3003.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9e6GsumF2gIVaSjTCh1-ZAZgEAsYAyABEgI8rPD_BwE
  • Mel Mo
    6 years ago
    I thought it was a lovely door before reading about the lock, but I'm also a big believer in getting exactly what I paid for and being entirely satisfied.
    If it's really going to bother you, definitely get it changed. Personally, I think I'd be happy with the door and happy with £200 in my pocket, except I'd probably go back and say '£230 and you have a deal'. Buts that's just me.
  • twamleyk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, we got a new one installed but it was even worse so we went back to the original and took a discount!

• Kazza None
    4 years ago

I think it looks great. How could they possibly have made it even worse?

• E D
    4 years ago

Still looks great.

:-)

• twamleyk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kazza, it was smaller so they had to add a thicker white border and the glass etching was all wrong and the grey was a different shade that we didn’t like!

• User
    4 years ago

I'd take the discount and buy some lovely huge extravagant planters for the front door... and then certainly no one would notice your key lock! I'm anything for a discount :-)

• Kazza None
    4 years ago

Well it looks great. And your garden. I love everything you've done

• Moni Burns
    4 years ago

that is an inviting entrance. looks beautiful

• Moni Burns
    4 years ago

• Moni Burns
    4 years ago

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.