carol_unsworth

Microwave to fit Howdens wall unit

Carol Unsworth
6 years ago
Hi I'm about to purchase a Howdens kitchen. The design includes a wall mounted microwave inside a 300mm wall unit housing. I'm having some difficulty finding a microwave to fit the unit. currently looking at Neff H11WE60N0G. which is supposed to fit the unit but installation instructions suggest depth of 320mm required. I'm really hoping other people must have purchased these Howdens units and are able to share their experience with me.

Comments (46)

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    In my eyes microwaves should not be fitted in a wall unit. They're designed for a base unit. Take a single and integrated microwave which is a popular idea, they fit in a base unit which will then offer sufficient space. Microwaves in a wall unit are a bad idea and a health and safety issue. Imagine lifting a hot bowl of soup out of a unit situated up high ... not recommended.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

AEG MBB1755S-M will fit 300 mm deep unit, you can research it. I do not know if will fit Howdens units as I am not using their carcasses.

• Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oliver's kitchens many thanks that's really helpful. I assume you've not experienced any problems 're ventilation of the microwave ?

It would be great to hear from anyone who has experience with Neff appliance I mentioned in my earlier post.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I have always followed manufacture guidance and specification. No issues. I know some people fit microwaves not designed to be built-in and this has caused them many problems.

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    I’m with the people who think this is a dangerous height.
    Furthermore I think it looks odd
  • Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks all for your valuable feedback. I agree the wall hung microwave is not an ideal solution. The original design has the double oven and microwave stacked in a 600mm housing. However Howdens standard housing means the base of the main oven is max 350mm from floor level. The base of the microwave is at 1241mm.
    This seems really low compared to my current kitchen which has a stacked double oven and microwave. Again any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would appreciate photos of any kitchens with this configuration.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Well, Howdens is not the best place to go for solutions. They are trade only and they employ salesmen with minimum CAD knowledge, not kitchen designers. You can have a single oven and combi oven-microwave. Tower with pan drawer and single drawer or two pan drawers if still not high enough for you.

• Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Many thanks Oliver's Kitchens but I really want the double oven and separate microwave. This combination works well for me.

You are correct Howdens don't seem to have any flexibilty in their offering but I'm so far down the road with design and purchase of the Fairford range I don't want to start from scratch again. Do you have any ideas how I can make this work with double oven and microwave ?

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Establish how high you want the bottom of the microwave. Check the size of the double oven and plinth, add it. Deduct from high of the bottom of the microwave. This will give you space for door or drawers. Check the sizes Howden's offer and choose the best option for you. Space above - choose the size of the doors and leave space for oven filler.

• Emily
    6 years ago
    Just saying that a built in microwave isn’t in my opinion essential to a good kitchen. Personally after having had many kitchens since I’ve moved a lot I’ve decided that a free standing microwave is fine. The last kitchen combination microwave stopped working as soon as I moved in. The developer for complicated reasons was unable to change and I bought a cheap microwave and put it in a large cupboard for a stop gap. Was astonished at its power and in my new kitchen decided against an expensive built in model.
    Just putting that out there :)
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    I originally had a double oven only in my tower unit. It was assembled higher than normal as I had a bank of tall units and I wanted them all having the same size doors in line with the worktop. My microwave was a freestanding one but it broke so I then decided to have an integrated on. For me it was better to have it low (hate the idea of microwaves in wall units) so the 715mm door that was originally under the oven was took off, the integrated microwave installed and the door cut down to the right height to cater for the new microwave. So I now have the double oven with the microwave under. See pic.

You don't have to have the shelving installed where the drill holes might be positioned. A good fitter can position them anywhere for you. I was lucky that my doors were handleless design so they could easily be amended so look for a supplier that offers Made to Order sizes.

As a thought if you were thinking about Howdens laminate worktops ... don't! They do not have a balancer on the reverse which in time will lead to warping. They really are cheap and nasty. I hope this helps.
  • kikiamack
    6 years ago
    I have the a built in double oven in a tower unit, with built in microwave over. It’s not Howdens though. My set up is similar to Daisy’s in that I have same size drawer below and cupboard above. In effect the bottom of the microwave is at the same height as the top oven shown in Daisy’s photo. I don’t see a problem with the height. I use lidded microwave pots with handles which don’t get hot, and stir half way through etc. My sons use it with no problem for hot chocolate, mug cakes, baked beans etc. I’ve just taught them to go slow, be careful, use oven gloves, just like using any oven.
  • Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Daisy thanks for your comments and picture. Your ovens look great. I've never considered having the microwave below the oven. Definitely worth some thought.
    I'm not having Howdens worktops or sink/taps opting for quartz. Ive heard similar comments on the quality of Howdens laminate from others.
  • Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kikiamack thanks for your comments. I agree I'm 5'3" and I've never had a problem with the height of the microwave in my current kitchen which I guess must be approx same height as yours. Now lots of people are telling me it's dangerously high !
    Unfortunately, Howdens are not able to supply even size doors to fit gap at top and bottom of housing. Hence the 3 appliances must move down about 10cm. I'm going to ask my fitter if can think of a solution.
    Any further comments pictured from fellow Houzz's most welcome.
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Can you not source the doors you want from another supplier who can obtain Made to Measure sizes?
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    What doors were they BTW as you've not said.
  • Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Doors are Fairford range Shaker style.
    Don't think I'd be able to match a bespoke size from a different supplier
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    I've just looked at those doors. They are available from other suppliers. They are the equivalent of what we supply from a different manufacturer known as Buckingham Ash. The Ash word means grained. The Buckingham range is not available on a Made to Measure basis but in our joinery workshop we have hand amended them by buying a larger door, taking them apart, cutting to size and re-glueing them with no problems. We did this on a kitchen in this range. So it is something that given the knowledge is achievable. Here is a photo of doors we amended under the oven for this customer as she had chronic rheumatoid arthritis and wanted the ovens and warming drawers fitted at a specific height to enable her to easily access them.
  • Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Daisy thanks so much what a brilliant idea ! I'm going to speak to my joiner and ask him if he's able to do something similar for me.
    The picture is really useful. You're a star
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Happy to help Carol. It's annoying when you want a specific door size and it can't be obtained. It is easy enough to split down with care a shaker door. Make sure it's well oversize. It just makes it easier. We've done this several times for various customers and it's always been successful.
  • Monica
    6 years ago
    Hi Carol,
    I have a Howdens tower unit with a microwave and a double oven (Fairford cashmere). I didn't want to lose a worktop space to put a freestanding microwave and was advised against the wall unit microwave due to the smaller size so went for the tower unit instead. I am 5'6 and the microwave is a perfect height (food about shoulder level height). The bottom oven is a little low, more like an under hob oven height, but any higher, the microwave would be a bit too high I think. Hope this helps.
  • Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Monica thank you so much for your reply and the picture of your lovely kitchen. I've been losing sleep over this dilemma.
    I'm definitely going to go with the tower. Fitter said the infill from above microwave can be fitted at bottom which will raise everything a couple of inches. Btw love the cashmere we almost went with that but changed to dove grey at the last minute.
  • julesrbennett
    6 years ago
    I'm having a similar dilemma and went with a different alternative that has come with its own problems. I wanted double oven, found micro too high or low so reduced workspace and added a tower unit to the side. Now however I've lost symmetry as I could have double oven one side, micro and warming drawer in tower next to it but still not as tall as oven adjacent

Haven't found a solution to this and whilst safety is key, aesthetics are bothering me and kitchen not even in yet. Should I have double single ovens side by side and microwave below? But then it's still uneven!!
  • Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Jules, there's some comfort in hearing others are experiencing similar problems I thought getting a new kitchen would be pleasurable rather than stressful !! I considered an additional tower but didnt want to reduce workspace. If the kitchen was a little bigger I'd definitely have gone for that option. However, I hadn't considered the issue of appliances not lining up. That would definitely bother me too. Are you also fitting a Howdens kitchen? I understand there are similar challenges with other suppliers.

I think, I would go with the two single ovens and microwave below. Unless you want to purchase a second microwave or micro grill purely for symmetry ?

• julesrbennett
    6 years ago
    Yes Howdens for our kitchen. I could do two single ovens then micro under one and other gadjet under the other but budget is getting tight for superfluous appliances like integrated coffee makers and warming drawers. Gahh!
  • PRO
    Cour Interior Design
    6 years ago

Surely Howden's can help you if you are buying a kitchen from them?

• Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Unfortunately it seems Howdens have a rather inflexible design for oven housing. The doors/ drawer fronts to fit above/ below appliances are only available in two sizes. Such a shame as I really don't want to compromise but at this point neither do I want to change to another supplier.
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    That's the problem with a lot of standard suppliers; they only offer standard sizes but do consider amending them. A joiner should be able to do this with no problem.
  • Rozanne K
    6 years ago

We have just had a Howdens kitchen fitted and had exactly the same problem with the housing for a Neff microwave in their wall unit with cupboard above. This was solved by fitting an extra deep wall unit alongside and bringing the microwave housing forward so that there was enough ventilation at the back for the Neff microwave. The Howdens designer suggested it as I didn’t want their Lamona brand. This wall unit sits alongside a unit which houses 2 single ovens.

• Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Roseanne that sounds like an interesting option. Could you send a photo please ?

• Rozanne K
    6 years ago

Hi Carol, the pictures I have aren’t very good, will take a better one when I get home from work.

• Rozanne K
    6 years ago

Found the Howdens plan on my computer !

• Rozanne K
    6 years ago

• Rozanne K
    6 years ago

From underneath wall units

• Vishaal Patel
    5 years ago

Rozanne K what model Neff is that?

• Vishaal Patel
    5 years ago

Carol Unsworth what did you end up doing? I have the EXACT same problem.

• Carol Unsworth
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Vishaal, thankfully my kitchen fitter resolved the problem for me by customising the oven housing and cutting down a deep drawer front to fit the bottom space. This gave me a much more practical height for oven and microwave.
    Hope this photo explains but if you need further info don't hesitate to contact me.
  • Rozanne K
    5 years ago

Model number above

• Vishaal Patel
    5 years ago
    Both, thank you SOOOOOOO much!
  • James Black
    4 years ago

Consider the various installation options. I do not know what you finally got, show photos if you can :)

Microwave can be placed not only embedding in the closet. It can be put on the table or elevation.

My friend made the fridge bigger and installed a microwave there, it turned out conveniently. He also installed a nearby home grill. You get something out of the fridge and immediately put it in the microwave, conveniently.

• Vishaal Patel
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ended up cutting out a hole in the back of the cabinet casing to adjust for the depth of the hardware / microwave. Was only a matter of 1-3 centimeters. Made for a nice and complete look.

• Jazz Pearce
    3 years ago

Hi can I ask which mw model you went for?

• HU-398511378
    last year
    last modified: last year

Adding a new comment to this thread, as I spend days of my life trying to find an integrated microwave that would fit a Howdens 290mm deep wall unit. This was the main thread on Google for info on this problem. I don't want anyway else to waste their life in the same way, so here's what you need to know:

-The Howdens 290mm wall unit only officially houses the Lamona integrated microwave, which is 320mm deep. The middle of the Lamona microwave sticks out about 2cm from the wall unit. It looks.. a bit ugly.

-HOWEVER, it is possible to get a third party shallow (300mm depth or so) microwave that does fit.

-The current model I found that fits the standard Howdens slot is the NEFF HLAWD23N0B_BK. By the time you read this they might have updated the range with a new model number. It's the shallowest integrated microwave they do.

-Officially the NEFF needs 320mm depth BUT just ask your electrician and kitchen installer to cut a slot for the power cable to run through the back wall of the unit to the power supply in a separate bit of the units. (We put the power switch in the cupboard above it)

-The front of the microwave is about 1mm proud of the units but you wouldn't know it wasn't supposed to fit if you hadn't obsessed over it.

Finished photo attached:

• Daisy England
    last year

Perhaps the moral of the story is don’t plan a microwave in a wall unit. Personally l would always plan one in a tall/oven unit or a base unit thus allowing for the depth.

It states on Howdens Complaint page on FB that only Lamona fits and Lamona gets dire reviews. Then again why use Howdens when there are better kitchens available and better designers too.

• Steph Pew
    last year

I’ve just recently had a new Howdens kitchen fitted with Lamona integrated microwave in fact all of my 7 appliances are Lamona. Used Howdens in previous homes and very happy with product can’t speak for Lamona but have registered all for their 3 years warranty time will tell.
    PS has it taken 4 years to complete your kitchen or have I misunderstood

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.