rachelmidlands

Pressure treated shed, treatment?

rachelmidlands
6 years ago
Hi all! First time I think I've posted a question on here but this has has got me really puzzled.

Ok so I've just bought a new shed (see pic) which is pressure treated. I would like to change the colour of it with either stain or paint and would like to do this before it gets built (building it ourselves) as when it does get built we won't be able to access the back with it going against a wall.
I've been scouring online for advice but it all seems to be conflicting. Some say leave it for 6-12 months as the timber will need to weather. Some say treat with sealer to protect from uv and water damage. I then look at sealers which are all clear which I don't want and are not specific regarding pressure treated timber or are for anti rot/mould/ fungus which I'm assuming a pressure treated timber is already treated for. So now I'm really confused.

Anyone have any ideas on how to treat new pressure treated wood preferably a stain or dark colour? Water based or oil based product?

Best product I've found so far is Seasonite by Owatrol which will protect the wood as it weathers for a year and can then be stained or painted, the problem is access.

I've also put the question out to 3 main brands for outdoor wood applications and I'm awaiting responses. Although I'm guessing they'll only recommend their own brand.

So if anyone has some impartial advice or experience I think myself and many others would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Comments (9)

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    I think the garden colours available at all the DIY stores are designed for just this situation. I imagine that the shed may settle and therefore crack a little but in the same way as you would accept this in your house and decorate now accepting that touch up may be needed later you should paint the shed now.
    rachelmidlands thanked Jonathan
  • rachelmidlands
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Jonathan and MATH, I think you're right. I most likely am worrying about nothing, me over thinking things as usual:). My worry was that with pressure treatment the chemicals that are forced into the wood will leech out over time, therefore any paint put on now will discolor, go patchy, peel or flake. I think that's why some people have said to leave for 6-12 months to allow for this process but there again it still leaves the wood exposed to the elements and prone to warping, cracking etc.
    Interestingly Sadolin got back to me really quickly and said amongst other things "the most damaging element of the weather which is UV damage", they recommended Classic for a translucent finish and Superdec for opaque finish. I like the look of Superdec and also the Johnstones woodworks opaque equivalent. Both are acrylic based which will flex while giving protection and microporous allowing the timber to breathe.
    Shed is arriving on Monday and will be sitting in car port for a few days prior to painting which should hopefully allow it to dry out if needed. Will definitely get some garden shades testers from b and q. Also looking at Cuprinol ultimate garden wood preserver purely for its uv and water protection. Decisions, decisions....
  • Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Hi Rachel! I know this is an old thread, but I’m in a similar boat - have just ordered a new shed and have been told to definitely not paint it for at least 3 months, and ideally 6. The reason being the high moisture content and any coating being unable to penetrate the wood properly.

How did you get on with yours, and what coatings and timings did you use in the end, and how is it now after 3 years?

I’m currently considering Owatrol Seasonite when first assembled and then Tikkurila Valtti Opaque. Tikkurila say their paint will last 10+ years which will hopefully offset the astronomical cost!! Also considering Osmo Opaque at a similar cost

Thanks in hope!

• rachelmidlands
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Sarah. It was a tricky one as there is so much conflicting advice online. Plus you don’t always know how or where the timber has been stored prior to being assembled. Best advice I found for treated (or tanalised) timber was if you flick some water at it and it beads or rolls off then it needs to weather for the appropriate time and if it soaks in then you’re good to go. I left it for a few days under cover before painting and just used Sadolin Superdec opaque in the end.
    3 years on and the paint is as good as when it was first done. There are a few splits in the grooves where the timber has swollen over the winter months but nothing to affect the performance of the paint. Really easy to keep clean as well, just a hose down and wipe with cloth 🙂.
    My advice would be to use a water based product. If it’s oil based then I think you’d definitely need it to weather for 3-6 months. I’ve heard many good things about Tikkurila paints, would love to try some one day. I recently used Bedec barn paint on my latest shed and was surprised how well it applied, 2.5 litres did the whole lot with 3 coats and some left over! No colour choices tho but I wanted black anyway, although I had a bit of a wobble and was tempted by a Swedish barn red😊. Time will tell if if it lasts!
    Some pics, 1st not long after painting and 2nd taken earlier this year, shed 2 is now black! Lots of landscaping still to do 🙂.

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Huge thanks for your feedback- your sheds are looking fab!!! Did you pre-treat it with the Seasonite in the end? And did you use a primer or even any knitting solution?
    The Tikkurila and the Osmo have amazing reviews - but it’s pricing up at around £200... (it’s quite a big shed - 14ft x 8). The Seasonite is pricing up at another £200 😂

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Knotting solution and not knitting - although that would be interesting 😂

• rachelmidlands
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No pre treatment but I did check with supplier if the timber used was stored dry for any length of time before assembly. It was so figured it it would be fine for painting directly. Shed 2 was an end of season display bargain so already done plenty of weathering plus I also left over winter before painting.
    Didn’t bother with wood protection or knotting solution on either but with shed 2 I did use a bleach solution to get rid of mould/ mildew /dirt before painting. No need for primer as a lot of these outdoor paints tend to be self priming but do check instructions.
    I think if you’re leaving it for any length of time then I think the seasonite would be a good option, especially if you plan to use a stain or oil based paint. Owatrol products are very good and a little goes a long way, check the info but I reckon 5 litres would cover 14ftx8 shed easily. £200.....ouch! My blue shed is 10ft X 7ft and took 5 litres of Sadolin Superdec with 3 coats at approx £60 to give you an idea of coverage.
    You could try ringing a trade decorating centre as they might be able to advise better, I found Crown trade very helpful.
    Hope this helps. X

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Thank you! 😊

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.