cignig

3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms and 2 tubs?

cignig
6 years ago

I'm working on remodeling the master bathroom in my house which used to have a shower but, I was thinking of putting a tub instead. The other bathroom has a tub in it so by me doing this, it would eliminate whatever shower we had in here. The 1 shower 1 bath seems pretty standard so I just wanted to get opinions on this and whether it's a good idea or bad. Thanks

Comments (19)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Essentially for numerous reasons and probably most importantly resale you need one tub in the home. I think a master with only a tub would be a huge mistake. Many love to use the tub, but not as a daily ritual so to speak. The master would be the only place I would remove a tub (not what you are asking) and put in a walk in shower) given there is another tub in the home.

Not sure of your age and if you are retired never planning to move and so on, but do you want to get up to go to work and fill the tub, sit in the tub and get out and drain the tub... I see a tub as a relaxation luxury and not a replacement for a shower in the master.

Maybe I missed your point? I just removed a giant tub from my master and put in a large walk in shower and I'm so glad I did! If I had the room I'd have done a soaker tub vs. a giant ugly corner tub. Yet, I wanted the large walk in shower.

Not just a tub in a master.... would be very bad for resale especially for ppl with busy schedules and early morning starts to get out of the home and before get the kids ready and fed....

cignig thanked Porter Edun
  • jmm1837
    6 years ago
    As an older person, I wouldn't even consider buying a house that lacked a decent walk-in shower. Just too hard to get in and out of a tub if you're starting to get a bit arthritic.
    cignig thanked jmm1837
  • cignig
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Sorry I should of been clear! One bathroom is a shower/tub combo while
    the master room is strictly a shower. I was planning on making that one a
    shower/tub combo as well. The other option I was thinking of if the
    shower/tub idea doesn't work out is to use one of those one piece types
    of showers. This is a fairly small bathroom and the shower is 54x30". I
    actually have everything already gutted out and found a tub in that size
    from Home Depot. I just wanted to get ideas before making the plunge.
    The only other thing I'd have to do is move the drain line from the
    center and move it towards the right.

Here is a pic for reference (not my bathroom unfortunately):

• PRO
    Weber Interior Design
    6 years ago

I often remove tubs from master bathrooms - most people want a nice walk in shower - however - if you are a person who likes the option of either - add a tub! Really, it must work for you, but if you are doing it for resale, don't bother with a tub.

cignig thanked Weber Interior Design
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

If you can make your master in to a larger shower and no tub (removing the rub will make it more spacious what ever the size) I would go that route as long as you say you have a tub in the house elsewhere. One never knows when they may break a leg and need a tub or similar. Resale is also another factor for having a tub in the home in another room as ppl have small children and need a tub for them. Yet you have another tub.

If you can maximize a little more space with a shower and get rid of the tub that is what I would do. If the room is very small your photo above is very nice and updated with partial glass yet you would need the wall mounted rain shower head so you don't have water leaving the shower vs. a regular shower head.

The one you have shown is a wall mounted rain shower head. Definitely updated if you have the room or make it a walk in as shown above (common in Europe) with no tub just a small step over!!! It depends on your age. I would make it a walk in as you show above with a partial glass panel door and a wall mounted rain shower head if that head if that is ok with you. It's more updated and you don't have to climb in.

We have one in a very large walk in and I'm good with it personally and I'm not all that young! I never used our giant tub in 9 years which was large and on a different wall.

I think all in all, you need to factor how much do you use the tub in the master? Would a walk in shower even smaller scale with a partial glass wall make it nicer and more open/up to date.... also more user friendly.

Sorry, I worked all day staging a model home and I'm bushed, but wanted to try to assist you. I may not be making any sense myself :)

I vote for a walk in partial glass door with a wall mounted shower head... small step in curb.....

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

another option for updated

partial wall, with step over... yet not this tile... NOOOO

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

This is a good option, but with a small curb... rain shower so the water flows downward on out the door.. I think this is the best option with the glass sitting on a small curb. Not a fan of the triangular shelves... you could do a small recessed area on the back wall to hold things and even put a small teak bench on the back wall you can move around to use as needed.

• anyahh
    6 years ago

If there isn't room for both in your master and you are keeping the tub in the second bath, I vote for a shower in the Master Bath. Just my personal preference.

cignig thanked anyahh
  • cignig
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I've never done a shower before but I definitely want to try, although I wonder how much it typically costs to have a pro do it and whether I'll be better off having them do it. I'll post a pic of how everything currently looks later so you all get a general idea of what it looks like. The house is from the 70s and everything was original before taking it all down. It really had to go =\

• _sophiewheeler
    6 years ago

If you don't understand that cement board and tiles.are not waterproof, or how to build a proper mud preslope, you need to hire a Pro who owns a TCNA manual. Be prepared to pay 6-9K for a properly waterproofed and rebuilt shows. Just the shower.

• cignig
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've watched many videos prior to making the decision to work on my bathroom and have seen different guys doing different things and all the products involved. Thankfully, most of them show waterproofing the shower.

One thing that stuck out to me is one guy in particular stated that, besides it being code (?), the preslope is not necessary. I guess his reasoning is that for water to reach the membrane, the mortar would have to be fully saturated and at that point, you've got other issues to deal with. Not sure what the common view is on that from guys in the industry. Just thought I'd share that since you brought it up

• Mira T
    6 years ago
    We are building a house and there's a tub (and a separate shower) in the master bath. We didn't think too much at the time so we just went with the original floor plan, but if we could re do it, we would choose to remove the tub and make a HUGE walk-in shower. We just turned 31 and while we think taking a bath sounds luxurious and relaxing we simply don't really find time for it. We don't have kids yet but there's a tub in the family bathroom. Ah now I just look at spa like showers and kick myself for not thinking of this before construction...
    cignig thanked Mira T
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

We are in our early 50's and removed a large corner jetted tub and remodeled our whole bath eliminating the tub and putting in a large walk in shower and I could not be more pleased! The tub as you say is a luxury which is nice, but was never used and was a dust magnet. Best decision I ever make and the bathroom looks so beautiful now: no door on the entry, just a curb and one long pony wall with glass on top and another shorter pony wall with glass on top of that. One solid tiled tall wall which we put a niche in. I am a bit OCD... purchased dark gray almost black plastic bottles and labeled them (water proof letters to label contents) as they can be seen when you walk in the bathroom. this is an older photo or I'd have them perfectly lined up :) My husband probably had showered before I took the photo to show another how to do this :)

They have held up perfectly and no messy different colored bottles. The niche tile ties in with a rainfall on the wall where rain shower head and on/off lever is.

Our home is more of a?? Restoration Hardware type look..hence the tile being slightly imperfect tones of graphite and a cement tone. The vanities and linen towers are RH and it worked out nicely.

As long as there in another bath tub in the home I say go for it. Necessary for many reasons from a minor injury to little ones for yourself for resale.

I spoke of this earlier in the post.... very happy with the decision and we do have another bath with double sinks and a tub.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

If I had another $15k to put into my bathroom renovation, I would have eliminated my tub and gone for a larger shower. I never use the thing, you have to empty the hot water heater to fill it and all it does is collect dust. I literally vacuum it with the vacuum hose to get the dust out of it.

cignig thanked katinparadise
  • Mira T
    6 years ago
    Porter, I'm totally stealing the black bottles idea. Looks very sleek!
    cignig thanked Mira T
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

It's really easy.... SKS is the name of the vendor for the bottles and you have to order about 10 minimum... yet, it's SUPER reasonable.

The stickers are made by Duro Decal and safe for indoor and outdoor use. I've had no peeling or anything and it's been about a year. I got Medium size vinyl letters and in one package the repeat of letters is plentiful.

I put a piece of painters tape across the bottle in order to keep them straight then put them on... had to use tweezers to make it a bit easier. Easy though and makes a GIANT difference than a ton of ugly bottles in a bazillion different colors!

• cignig
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks again guys!

I've already made my decision to keep it as a walk in shower but, just a reminder, the tub would of been a shower/tub combo as pictured above in my earlier post had I went the tub route. It could be used as a shower or tub.

I haven't been able to snap a pic of what the bathroom looks like post tear down but, once I get more time to start working on it again, I'd like to start another thread showing the progression of the work to catalog the process and to also get some ideas/tips :)

• _sophiewheeler
    6 years ago

That statement about the preslope is a Giant Red Flag. You need to pick one water proofing system, and stick with it. This is critical. If not done correctly, it's a giant waste of resources.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.