isidora_markovic90

Fridge magnets - yay or nay?

Isidora Markovic
7 years ago

Houzzers - where do you stand on fridge magnets?

Do you see them as clutter creating and to be avoided, or do you find them to be sentimental mementos, of travels around the world, for example?

Seattle Residence, WA · More Info

If 'nay' - do you find adornment of any kind on your fridge a 'no-no'? If 'yay' and you have a highly curated collection of magnets, we'd love to see a photo or two.

As always - vote and explain with a comment!

Yay
Nay

Comments (20)

• peter_bond3
    6 years ago

Good for pinning notes - most people will see them since most visit the fridge daily

• Beth Graß
    6 years ago

We have 2 spots for magnets: a board behind the kitchen door where we tack receipts and takeaway menus with functional magnets, and the front of the fridge, where we have the kitschy magnets from our travels. I love seeing the Manchester skyline next to magnolias from Savannah and a map of the Chicago L train. It's goofy and colourful and fits with our eclectic kitchen.

• Icoachlifestyle
    6 years ago
    I have collected fridge magnets for years as less bulky and cheap travelling souvenirs. They are a great way of flooding my mind with good memories throughout the day. I have them now on the sides of a free standing fridge freezer and the dishwasher.
  • Louise Westbury
    6 years ago
    No from me I'm afraid - they can look untidy and can scratch the fridge door.
  • nevenkamartin
    6 years ago

Love my fridge magnets! And so do my friends :-). The kitschier the better ;-)

• amanda stewart
    6 years ago

The magnetic clear folders are great for family photos too! Hall of fame or disaster depending on situations!

• julesrtilley
    6 years ago
    Looks good on here but not sure on every kitchen ! Depends on style and how creative you make it look
  • Jayk
    6 years ago

It's a massive "nay" from me. To me they are visual clutter of the very worst type. And despite the lack of magnets I still seem able to recall my happy memories.

• Jayk
    6 years ago

Perhaps I should add that I could possibly be converted if all magnets were displayed as well (and as discretely) as in the photograph accompanying this thread. Bu they're not.

• julesrtilley
    6 years ago
    I must admit magnets are never tasteful. But the picture looked good .
  • PRO
    Contemporary Home Design Ltd
    6 years ago

I definitely like the idea of the magnet wall - can also be used to pin notes as mentioned above. Keeps the fridge looking plain and simple, no clutter.

• cassandrascott24
    6 years ago

I strike a happy medium - I have just 3 fridge magnets and 3 or 4 quirky (small) hands displaying various hand gestures, such as a 'thumbs up'. They're used for PO receipts, gift vouchers etc. So neither yay nor nay! A fridge full of 'em would represent clutter to me!

• Joanna Biddolph
    6 years ago

I have an integrated fridge-freezer so magnets aren't possible. I had a few in my last flat, where the fridge was undercounter and not integrated, but I never read them. Especially the ones that said "Think Thin" and "Don't Eat".

• Isidora Markovic
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Shelly Anne - I bring my parents home magnets from every new place I travel to, though when the old fridge went out, the magnets all curiously disappeared!!

• PRO
    Kontour
    6 years ago

Definitely no fridge magnets :-) as most of our clients end up with an integrated fridge, however if it is a free standing one like Smeg, best not to cover it up! Let the beauty shine through!

• lisa77226
    6 years ago
    Clutter! Not in my kitchen!
  • PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    6 years ago

I like fridge magnets - nice way to remind you of places you've visited. Every fridge would be different, it's quirky

• PRO
    Nicholas Wells Antiques
    6 years ago

Mixed feelings about this one - they are great until you accidentally knock the fridge door and they all come falling off!

• PRO
    Dual Designs
    6 years ago

Wow . . . I'm amazed it's so close

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.