brewychris

Double oven/Two Single Ovens/Combi Microwave & Oven

Mrs Lanks
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

It's all in the title folks. Getting the kitchen redone and want to know what you think is best. I have reservations about a built in combi microwave & single oven combination. According to Which built in combi microwaves aren't the best value. Why spend £700 on one when you could get a good quality one for £200 and stick behind a larder door? Double ovens seem good enough... but is that second oven big enough? Is it better to get the two singles stacked? Thoughts. Thanks.

Comments (52)

• Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that a built in combi microwave is a bit extravagant colourhappy. I mean, they look pretty in an appliance bank, but practically and financially, they don't seem to hold up.

But please other people convince me. :)

• Tim Summers
    7 years ago

Same dilemma as we had when doing our kitchen 6 months ago.

We went for a combi at the top, and a standard one at the bottom. To be honest we use the combi 90% of the time, and only the bottom oven if we're doing a roast with all the other stuff purely as it doesn't all fit in the top one.

Saying that though, I did nearly fall off my chair when I was told the price of a combi - and if I'm being honest I don't think it's worth the money, but we didn't want a microwave on the side - strange decision though as we have the old microwave in the utility room, which still gets used a fair bit.

Actually saying that ......... I very rarely think the top one gets the microwave setting used at all - well I certainly don't use it. Basically it's just a grill and small oven.

Wow, I've massively overspent here.

• Related Discussions

Do we have space for a 5ft x 4ft kitchen island?

Q

Comments (8)
    I am sorry to say you don't have room. You are only giving yourself 36" in front of the ovens and only 31" for passage on the opposite side and 42" is not enough between the island and the sink. You might find a smaller 30" wide x 48" moveable stainless steel prep table and placed in the opposite direction, it might work for additional counter surface but not give you the seating you would like.
    ...See More

I need help designing a room/all round room that is facing a college

Q

Comments (2)
    Can you not try a panelled screen to block off the view of the oven/college? A rug on the floor would help and throw/cushions for the bed. If you can't hang pictures try posters on the wall with blue tac
    ...See More

Is my kitchen design working?

Q

Comments (32)
    Lovely, much better than the 3D plan. V glad you kept your patterned floor tiles, I really like them. It's all come together very attractively. The only thing I'd change and this is just because I'm a colour freak is the pendants - I'd probably have made those red and orange or something. But congrats really, it looks great.
    ...See More

Kitchen design help!

Q

Comments (11)
    I agree with 'Kitchens and Baths', you are leaving yourself precious little counterspace to accommodate 2 side-by-side wall ovens? Can't you stack them if you need 2? Also, a warning, I wouldn't be taking anything out of those ovens and "turning to the island" with them...not with a quartz countertop!! You'll have that whole end all scorched...unless you are quick and accurate with lots of trivets! But your "open shelving" is going to look like a pinched-in forgotten corner pantry...you really need more space for them too , if it is going to look right. Right now as it is, 2 feet of them are all but beyond reach (over the lower countertop) and then a mere 2 feet worth of actually OPEN, available space you can reach, then the monster of the floor to ceiling cabinet will be in the way. It will be like reaching around into a closet. I would seriously reconsider this design BEFORE your electrician shows up--and before you order all those (expensive!) cabinets. But as for the island 'crowding' the walkway--it looks as if your drawing says 1.2 meters? That's plenty and more than enough, even for running boisterous kiddos, you're fine there. Best of Luck.
    ...See More
  • Juliet Docherty
    7 years ago

They are very expensive therefore I would prefer a cheaper microwave out of sight. We are going to insert a lintel into a solid wall and insert two stacking single ovens. The back of them will be boxed into a cupboard in the hall. Honestly, sometimes I think it's easier to move house......

• Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ha! See we're getting a new kitchen which will hopefully have a larder of some description. I'd rather put the combi one behind the doors of the larder and put more money into another appliance.

I do enjoy baking so a good size oven (or two) would come in handy. Also when we entertain and we're trying to cook up a tray of meat and roasting potatoes etc having another oven with some kind of baked goods going on seem easier to deal with than a small microwave (with fancy baking capabilities). I wouldn't bake a cake in my freestanding combi microwave... But maybe I'm old fashioned.

Again, I'm a bit bias, but I'm will to be convinced...

• kikiamack
    7 years ago
    I went for a double oven with a built in regular microwave. The double oven replicates (just about) the space in my old freestanding oven. If I just want to cook say a pizza I use the smaller oven. I didn't have a combi microwave in my old kitchen, and I'm not sure what I'd use one for.
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago
    A few things- there are fewer double ovens to choose from nowadays- if you have single ovens you have more choice.
    Also appliances are designed to sit well side by side as well as stacked- this has a benefit that you can put all ovens at a height that works for you.
    The compact appliance doesn't have to be a microwave- you could choose a steam oven, a standard oven with compact proportions, a sous-vide oven or a different appliance such as a coffee maker or a compact wine cooler.
    The benefit of a microwave in a conventional oven is that you can run both at the same time reducing the cooking time of dishes such as roast meats.
    You can also get a microwave function in a full sized oven.
  • Susan
    7 years ago
    Get two single ovens. You won't regret it!
  • headers13
    7 years ago

I looked at double ovens but the 'larger' oven is smaller than the normal so I don't think they're that great - if the space have two ovens.

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    I have a Neff double oven and had until tonight a non integrated combination microwave. It went capput tonight. I have decided to have an integrated combi microwave and put it underneath the oven. We can alter the bottom door to fit. Can't say I've ever used the grill on the microwave, only ever the basic press the timer status. I've opt for a CDA combi microwave and it cost me £157 with free delivery.
    I have a holiday home in Somerset and have a single oven and an integrated microwave over the top of it.
    I don't ever use both ovens at the same time at home so could manage with a single oven.
    Integrated combination microwaves don't cost the earth as long as you're not looking for superior names like Neff, AEG, Bosch etc.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    I think one fan oven for baking etc and one multi function pyro clean one for splashy meats etc and one cheap as chips micro in a pantry ( but with adequate ventilation and only used with panty doors open ) is a good bet !
    But Jonathan is spot on in mentioning that these should be installed at a height that's safe for you ! You loose strength in your arms when you lift above shoulder height - so you should be sure you can pull out a casserole dish from top shelf safely and comfortably .
  • obobble
    7 years ago
    When updating kitchen recently we went for two combis and a single as prev one combi and a single often insufficient. Balanced in a quad formation with matching dishwasher, all Neff.
  • LTS
    6 years ago
    Going through this headache currently....

Double oven plus microwave in cupboard, or

Two single ovens plus microwave in cupboard, or

Single oven with combi microwave above

Plus....warming drawer or not?????

Help!
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    I'd definitely forget the drawing drawer. They're very expensive. Will you regularly use it? If it's just for warming plates ready to serve the food either use a grill or a microwave. In the microwave put two plates in for two minutes. Done. Cheap and easy.
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

Crikey that was ages ago. My kitchen is finished and I opted for 2 single ovens, one a pyrotechnic one for self cleaning and the other looks similar but cheap. Hole knocked in wall houses fridge (love it) and cheap nasty microwave housed in boiler cupboard. I opted for under counter ones as my knees need the exercise.

• LTS
    6 years ago
    Fab, that's the warming drawer knocked off the list :)

Am leaning towards 2 single ovens stacked but would need to ensure top oven is not too high as I am only 5'2...mind you hubby is 6'2 so he could use that one!!
  • Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    we are going for 2 single ovens stacked. microwave in the larder. let's see how it turns out. when it eventually gets done... #buildingwoes
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

I don't want stacked ovens as I also am tiny and I'm just too short to feel safe getting heavy stuff out at that height. I am thrilled with my under counter ones.

• Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    my husband is 6'8". I'm a foot shorter. I can take the height.
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

These are my 2 ovens and hidden microwave. I have to say the two best decisions we made were to knock a hole in the wall to house bulky fridge and to build in a shelf above the worktop behind hob. Excuse ongoing mess in potental dining room....

• Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    well with small children in less inclined for those under counter ovens. the microwave will sit in the larder. I'm a long way off any pics of the outcome though....
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    You can have the ovens stacked at whatever height you wish. It doesn't have to be a standard height. Therefore if you're short drop them lower. Just make sure that whoever you are ordering your doors off offers a made to order service so they can produce a door to any size.
  • LTS
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I think 2 single ovens & a bog standard microwave in a cupboard in the island is going to be the winner. If the kitchen supplier can not accommodate lower stacked ovens there is a spare 600 cupboard in the island to utilise.
    Your kitchen looks fab colourhappy & I am envious of that shelf! I remember your kitchen posts Tim & enjoyed reading them. Mrs Lanks you have my empathy this is the current stage of our building work....
  • Mary Donnelly
    6 years ago
    I'm renovating my kitchen. had planned one 2 single ovens and also to use my existing induction hob. however when talking to the electrician he suggested that we may not have sufficient power for running everything. and that we would need to increase our power supply. has this happened to anyone else? and what did you do?
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Mary, I had to have a new consumer unit fitted when we undertook our new kitchen.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Matters
    6 years ago
    Double ovens are a dying product category so think hard about being able to source a replacement in 10 years time.

2 single ovens stacked may not be very practical or safe but side by side, are a great idea, with a microwave tucked away in a utility room.

A freestanding microwave in a cupboard - ensure its always operated with doors open and cupboard left open for at least 15 minutes after use to allow any moisture to dry out.
  • Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'd love to have the ovens dude by side, but the shave doesn't allow it...
  • PRO
    Kitchen Matters
    6 years ago

How about a single and a compact oven (just a smaller version of a single oven) stacked vertically then? These are available in sizes that are unlikely to be discontinued anytime soon. Unfortunately the compact ovens arent cheap and not far off the price of a compact combi-microwave.

• Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    two single ovens. I'm happy with that...
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    It looks lovely. Good choice.
  • Alicia Mir
    4 years ago

Tim Summers just wondering why you opt to use the cheapo microwave over your oven microwave combi....? Isn't it as good?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

And the typo of the year (2017) goes to me for ‘panty’ not PANTRY !!! Whoops 😬

• Louise Newman
    4 years ago

Mrs Lanks, your kitchen is gorgeous!! We are midst planning at the mo and looking at a similar colour way, navy low units and light grey wall, great to see how fab yours looks! Quick question, our hob will be on the island too, what fan did you go with - so variable!! Thanks

• Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

it's a luxair one... not sure if the model...

• HU-458910000
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Have a similar plan and colourway going on at the moment too, with a hob in the island. Have you looked at the venting hobs ? No need for an overhead fan, the fan is in the hob !

• Roxane Ip
    3 years ago

Mrs Lanks..which ovens did you go for in the end and are they performing as you expected? We’re also having a new extension and have decided 2 x Singles and microwave in larder.

• Mrs Lanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Roxane, we went for two single ovens on top of each other. A double oven with the smaller second oven... wouldn't have been the way forward for us. Christmas, birthdays, parties (remember when we could gather?!??) means having two full size ovens have been invaluable. We got two Siemens ovens. Can't remember the model. One's slightly posher than the other i.e. it's got wi-fi?! Glad I've still got my old stand alone, microwave in larder top so can be hidden if needs be. I can't imagine spending more than £400 on a new microwave that was built in (when the one I had is still doing the job) instead of getting that second oven.

• Roxane Ip
    3 years ago

Okay great, I’ll take a look. So tricky comparing models and functions, do I need steam, pyrolytic cleaning, crisp thingy, WiFi...

• Dave Bland
    3 years ago

Why have a microwave in the larder? Hotpoint multi (£300)(almost twice the size of a standalone micro), single oven (dont buy a Samsung) then space for another standard size single oven at the bottom if we need to expand.

• Richard L
    3 years ago

Depends what you use the microwave for...

Turned we used ours for mugs of hot chocolate (mostly), jacket spuds now and again.

Net result - downsize and a small £<100 does the job.

Certainly didn't merit anything built in.

WIFI - nah - now if the microwave could read barcodes on food and set the right time - to save me scanning the small/infinitesimally small print - great. Otherwise an oven - just needs to get hot :)

• pm60
    3 years ago

Have those of you with combi microwaves found them to be powerful enough when used as microwave alone? Most seem to be max of 600W :(

• LTS
    3 years ago

Ours is a 1000W Panasonic.

• HU-589743237
    3 years ago

I've had my microwave/2nd oven combi and i've never ever used it as a microwave - too much hassle to take shelves out and found a little spot to tuck away standard microwave so we use that. Wish i'd gone for two single full size ovens for our family of 7.

• Tani H-S
    3 years ago

I have an oven which splits into two so you can use as separate or one large oven. It’s amazing 😆 Has a separator tray in the middle and two fans in it but only takes up the space of one oven.
    I also have a mirrored separate microwave which I use all the time.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Oh Tani -that sounds fab - could you add a link please ?

• Tani H-S
    3 years ago

https://www.samsung.com/uk/cooking-appliances/electric-oven-nv75n7677rseu/

This isn’t quite ours but it’s the flex cook range . We got ours for £200 second hand as someone was stripping out a new kitchen to put an aga in and I love it!

• Tani H-S
    3 years ago

Ours is called the dual cook (- but flex cook might be a new version of it) and it has one front door with the 2 oven separator inside.

• linz58
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

#Mrs Lanks - having altered our original kitchen when we moved in 13 years ago we are now freshening up paintwork, replacing worktops and installing new appliances as the layout we chose then still works for us. We presently have a Rangemaster but they have changed the style so are considering two single ovens either side by side or on top of each other. If the latter, does the top oven need to be supported rather than just placed on top of the bottom one.....? Also, which brand did you end up buying as we are researching Neff and Bosch which both seem to have a problem cleaning the doors as you apparently need to take the glass door out....!?

• Ellie
    3 years ago

I have a Neff single built-in oven and a basic microwave hidden in a tall unit, microwave only use to reheat stuff. Never used more than one oven at once when I had my range cooker so decided single oneness enough. I don't like the imposing look of stacked ovens.

• pm60
    3 years ago

I have a had a Neff single oven for 21 years & it has been great. Now, in my new kitchen am thinking of going for 2 single ovens side by side & microwave in cupboard but Neff ovens now have have a steel trim down each side so don’t look so good together like this 😏 Don’t know about stacking sorry. Also, I believe Bosch use the Neff name for their ovens.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.