Northfacing red brick needs curb appeal suggestions truly welcome

anndempsey
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Comments (8)

• Isidora Markovic
    7 years ago

Hi Ann,

What kind of look are you going for - do you want a complete revamp to make it look very contemporary or to remain in its current style but give it a facelift?

• anndempsey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Isidora,

Thank you so much for responding. I am selling the house, so trying to enhance curb appeal.

• Aisling Dempsey Malone
    7 years ago

Your house is very attractive but a little TLC is
    required. If possible depending on budget limitations, I would do the following
    to soften the edges and add a manicured, polished yet homely feeling to the
    house:

Area needing attention: Front door and surrounds

Issue: Lack of a focal point, has no presence and appears
    to recess into the house

• Remove all potted plants from outside the front door

• Remove the seat from under the main window

• Rent/borrow a water power washer to clear away the
    moss/weeds

• Paint the front door (if wood) a dolphin grey colour
    and add a door wreath (radiates warmth)

• Purchase 2 potted Bay trees (Laurus Nobilis) to be
    placed either side of the newly painted front door to frame the doorway

• Put up a postbox on the wall to the right of the front door

• Add 2 external candle lanterns to enhance the ambience
    for house viewings

• anndempsey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aisling,

Thank you, I appreciate your taking an interest in my dilemma. The post box is situated at the main gate. Can you suggest something in its place? Can you also suggest colour for pots for bay trees.

• Aisling Dempsey Malone
    7 years ago

The front door needs to command presence so big coiffed planters are ideal. I would look online for
    good prices around bay trees as they can be expensive in garden centres, shop
    around! Square grey pots look fantastic with bay trees and offer a very
    manicured look against red brick.

Instead of a postbox, I would
    add a plant climber in a pot and let it travel up the wall against a trellis.
    Something like the Clematis is ideal as the purple flower will compliment
    the red brick.

PS, does the house have a
    name? It can actually add rural appeal and character as I’m guessing your house is
    in the country.

• anndempsey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ballygibbon house located in Co. Kildare currently online at myhome.ie, please take a look. I am very proud of the interior but the north facing exterior with the over powering red brick is unappealing. How do you feel about hanging/trailing baskets?

• Aisling Dempsey Malone
    7 years ago

@Kittihawke, I agree with you on the hanging baskets, I'm not fan of them either! @AnnDempsey, I really like the house interior, it has a loved feeling, family orientated and you have some really nice finishes and pieces going on. Freshening up the exterior would definitely encourage more viewings. The garden area to the side of the house is also lacking some colour, so even if you planted some box (buxus) hedging, it will still add to the overall appeal of the house. Please let me know how you get on, your asking price for the property is very reasonable, 12 acres and stables along with the house is wow!

anndempsey thanked Aisling Dempsey Malone
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.