christopherblowers

Which digital thermostat???

christopherblowers
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Morning
We are looking for a basic digital thermostat for downstairs. We have one of those old dial thermostats that you get in the 60/70's. Upstairs by the boiler we have a timer for hot water and heating so it only needs to be really to set the temperature.
My wife purchased this but it did the water/heating as well so there weren't enough wires so we need to return it. We don't want to buy the wrong one again

Comments (11)

• justanotherdesigner
    7 years ago

I had Hive for but the lack of child lock for the thermostat drove us nuts hence we got some lockable. Nephews! I also had a timer in the kitchen for the hot water and heating and the thermostat in the hall. The engineer set them both to continuous and the heating was controlled via the Hive app/webpage which also allows you set timers etc. Your time effectively becomes redundant.

I hope this helps.

• christopherblowers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is what we have and need to replace. Any suggestions pls for a cheap digital one?
  • PRO
    Hive
    7 years ago

Hi @christopherblowers, Hive Active Heating™ could be the perfect thermostat for you! Packed with clever features, it adds a little magic to controlling your heating and hot water. And even better, you can control it from your phone, wherever you are! Have a look at our profile to see how Hive Active Heating™ can fit in perfectly with the design of your home :)

Hive Active Heating™ · More Info

• christopherblowers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    How much to purchase and install HIVE?
  • PRO
    Hive
    7 years ago

Hive Active Heating™ costs £249 including professional installation by a trusted British Gas engineer, or we also offer a monthly subscription. Read more about our payment options here: https://www.hivehome.com/shop/hive-active-heating

With a Hive thermostat you’ll never need to heat an empty home again, so you could save up to £150 a year on your heating bills :)

• christopherblowers
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I thought it was still £250.

I think, as much as hive seems good, it's a large outlay for a thermostat which is what I think has put us off previously.
    Also we have a timer in the airing cupboard so believe it would require running wires down walls would it not as there aren't enough wires currently for this type of stat
  • PRO
    Grahams Hi-Fi Ltd
    7 years ago

Take a look at Tado. www.tado.com. I've had it for 3 years and saved a fortune.

• PRO
    Automated Smart Homes
    7 years ago

Digital thermostats are great but they still only control your heating using one reading sensor for the whole home which is very inefficient. Investigate zoning your home's heating which can be done retrospectively!

Zoning your heating allows you to control individual rooms. So you could be turning off the heating in your bedrooms during the day but leaving the heating in main rooms on. Then one button (or a schedule) turns them back on in the evening,

Contact us should you need help http://automatedsmarthomes.co.uk/best-smart-home-system/

• A S
    7 years ago
    Hi,
    ianthy, would you have an image off the hive thermostat you got sent by B-Gas. I'm looking to get a new thermostat and remember B-Gas sending one but haven't given it much thought and was going to get a new one. if yours is doing you favours might look at getting it installed instead, obviously if we are referring to the same one. would appreciate an image if possible...Cheers.
  • ianthy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi

@A.S. Our Hive the same as the photo posted above. It really has transformed the way in which we manage our heating and hot water. Yes, it's only taking a reading like your old thermostat from one point in the house - in our case the hallway. For now that's good enough for me to control the heating and hot water timings. Plus close off TRV's in rooms not in use. I cant believe for years we would simply set the timings for the winter and that's it. Now I tweak it almost daily - especially if the weather is surprisingly warm or cool. Bgas are doing a special offer of £150 installation.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.