tjdayhouse

How to position light when table isn't centered in the room?

tjdayhouse
7 years ago

Dining room is 16.5ft x 11.5 ft with a bay window. I have long dining table when leaves are in place and they always are when I use the table (I would also like to keep leaves in place when not in use if it looks ok in the room). However, to use the leaves I need to use the bay window space. At this time the light is centered in the room and when I use the table with leaves the light isn't centered and even as it is w/o leaves, it doesn't fit centered under the light due to a buffet (and removing the china and buffet isn't an option, so I need to work with them). Do I move the light so it is centered length of the room, but over the table ( in this picture is would be moving the light toward the window a good 15-18")? But it would be off center from the foyer entry (where I am taking the pic), would that look strange? The China Cabinet is centered on the long wall now, do I move it (toward the window) to be centered with table and light or keep it centered on wall and foyer entry opening?

Also note that I am trying to update this space. This room is 10 years old and I am trying to update it, brighten it up and make it not so formal looking, while keeping the the traditional furniture as is ( I realize it's not the "in thing", but was a gift and must be used and not painted). I'll take any suggestions on this matter too.

Comments (29)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.