learealtor

Need assistance with chinking & caulking 100 yr old interior log walls

learealtor
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

we bought a duplex as an investment residential rental. during some repairs we discovered that the original log cabin is intact behind drywall. The cabin has been added on to and sided over the years so none of these are any longer exterior walls. I love the look of them, especially the cleaner we get them. Now that we are on our way to having them cleaned up, I don't know what to do for chinking and caulking. I have 3 walls exposed for a total of almost 200 sq. ft. of walls to finish! We are basically at a point in the process where we need it to be the same price or cheaper than just covering it with drywall. :-( Any suggestions for an economically inexpensive way to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. I'm not worried about historical integrity, that was ruined a long time ago. I just want to give this otherwise boring duplex some character now that we've discovered the treasure of logs behind the drywall. Many thanks to anyone who can offer advice. (have already contacted PermaChink and they were very quick with a long list of products and equipment I needed to buy but not much help beyond that.) Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Rusty Empire
    7 years ago

No input on the log filler, but as for cleaning the logs - If you can't afford soda blasting them clean try an angle grinder with a wire wheel attachment (straight wire not twisted = less aggressive bite) it will be less labor intensive. But do wear a face mask and eye protection. I would not stain or poly but do a final sand clean with 80 grit in an orbital sander. Poly and oil will give it an artificial, darker look. The stripped wood will look clean and modern. Good luck.

learealtor thanked Rusty Empire
  • learealtor
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rusty Empire: Every site I've found information on has said not to use any type of wire brush on the old logs as it will be too damaging. The top picture shows 2 portions after a vinegar bath and scrubbed with a nylon brush. The vinegar was a natural suggestion from a local person who works with reclaimed lumber. I really like that look and color and would definitely not want to stain the wood. I'm glad you mentioned the poly looking artificial, have now decided to forego the poly as well. I'm wondering: do you think cleaning with the angle grinder is a necessity if we are able to get them to this point with just a scrub brush? And, when I mentioned the final sand clean with 80 grit in an orbital sander, my husband said the timbers are very rough hewn and he doesn't think an orbital sander will work. Thanks for your input!

• Rusty Empire
    7 years ago

If you like it rough hewn forgo the orbital with 80 grit. Some people have issues with keeping a rough surface for an interior wall (not me). We had a bunch of old growth salvaged fir that where like iron so scrubbing by hand was out of the question. Depends on the softness of the species. Pine - no, oak - absolutely. Especially really grungy wood as yours appears to be. Do you know the species yet? Another way of smoothing the surface is with a belt sander and 60 or 80 grit. But if there are saw mill marks you can see and want to preserve continue with your scrub brush technique.

• learealtor
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rusty Empire: Thanks for the information! The wood appears to be oak and there are some beautiful sawmill marks on it that I believe add to the look & character of the logs. We will continue with our hand scrubbing as it does seem to be working quite well so far.

• PRO
    Log Home Finishing LLC Thomas Elliott
    7 years ago

Looks like you are off to a great start! I'd suggest Grip Strip backer between the log joints and Log Jam or Permachink chinking as the sealant. What ever prep work you are doing keep it up. You could apply clear coat or just leave it bare on the interior log surface.

see more: Log Home Restoration Photos

• northface99
    7 years ago

Oh please do not take electric tools to beautiful hand hewn logs. Totally ruins the look. Do you still need some advice? Check out Charles McKraven's book on restoring log houses. (I have 2; a lot of work, but beautiful when done.)

Sounds like a plastic bristle brush and elbow grease might do it for you; the logs do not need to look pristine, IMO.

Instead of Styrofoam, which is very flammable, most recommend some type of wire mesh against which to install chinking. You can make an inexpensive chinking from hydrated lime and sand...check out historical mortar on the internet.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.