ghesp

Designing our garden - what to do

ghesp
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm usually fairly good with designing layouts and coming up with ideas, however I am somewhat stumped what to do with our garden.

As is stands, the grass is mostly moss and needs returfing. The Silver Birches and Beech need to go and the decking needs replacing as it is rotten (looking for smooth decking).

We both quite like modern gardens, and we're not really gardeners so hardly plants with raised flower beds etc are on our minds.

Unfortunately, we're limited by budget, but this is only for materials as the labour will be done ourselves. We have an outdoor plug and there is already a switch in the kitchen to power outdoor lighting. In addition, I think replacing the fencing is out of the question as it is too costly - I'm tempted to put trellis in front of it, along with bamboo and uplighters, but I'm afraid that the fence will ruin the appearance of it.

Has anyone got any suggestions are to layout, design elements etc. I do quite like water features too that are incorporated into the landscape.

Dimensions

The garden itself is almost a square, it comes in a 9m wide by 8.9 deep. The bit behind the outside room is roughly 3.5m wide by 2m deep.

Sunlight

These photos were taken at 10am in April. In the summer, the sun moves left to right across the read of the garden, setting somewhere behind the bushes behind the garage.

In the winter, the sun moves more along the left side of the garden

Planting

Personally I like the more hardy tropical plants like bamboo, palm etc. The plant growing across the back of the house is a Wisteria. Whilst not my favourite plant due to mess it makes, i

Comments (12)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.