refurbexhaustion

Help!!! More tiling issues!!!!! Kitchen backsplash this time...

refurbexhaustion
8 years ago

Hi all, I've run into some more issues with finding the right tiles - this time for our kitchen backsplash. Our kitchen was installed a couple of weeks ago and I love it. Our worktop was installed a little later and I love it too (first 2 pics are with temporary worktop, last with actual worktop). So far so good... I picked out a white bevelled subway tile to use for the backsplash and checked whether it would match the worktop (I had a sample), which it did. However, we've now run into 2 issues - the subway tile is proving really difficult to cut and install in the corners as the bevelling of the tile is not flat but slightly rounded. It might've been possible if the tile wasn't so difficult to cut in the first place (without chipping etc). Secondly (and most importantly), I don't think it would look right either. We've got matt grey cabinets and an anthracite coloured cooker and hood. Our worktop is made of what they call cosmostone and is a glossy white with a slight marble effect (very light and not overly obvious). The worktop on it's own is definitely white, albeit a slightly different white to the subway tile (but workable), however, in combination with the cabinets it appears more grey and therefore the subway looks off. Any suggestions for what else we could use? Should I try a matt white subway tile instead or a totally different tile? Perhaps no tile at all and go for a washable paint? Or something completely different, such as glass or another material...perhaps with a print? I'm not overly keen on the idea of painting alone as I've seen kitchens with washable paint and it is still a pain to keep clean. Somehow I think it would also look unfinished. For info, my taste is of the retro/scandi kind and the kitchen floor will be a water-resistent, oak-like laminate (it's an open kitchen and the floor will be laid throughout the living room/kitchen area). Suggestions would be very welcome!

Comments (32)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.