niamh_mccartney

Flooring decisions: to go with Birch Plywood

peony grace
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm renovating on a budget! Had my heart set on concrete colour Forbo marmoleum but to save 1000 euros, I'm probably opting for laminate wood flooring throughout the open plan ground floor kitchen/living/dining room instead. Having kitchen made by carpenter in birch plywood. Wonder what you think about the combo of Nordic Oak and Birch ply? (far left colour) Is it too 'pale with pale'? I think the other two colours are too dark/brown.

Want to oil the ply to keep it as pale as possible, but slightly worried it will be too much of a bleached out look?

Undecided on paint / wall colours as yet so assume white for now, as in sample pic.

Originally I wanted a concrete colour vs a darker oak wood on the cabinets, but it's all coming down to cost. I did think about staining the birch ply, too.

Comments (5)

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think it's too pale, just to give you an idea was originally hoping for Forbo floors in a colour close to either of these:

• alant1000
    8 years ago
    I have a similar laminate floor to yours with white walls and it looks ok, the key really is to try and warm the look up a bit with colors in accessories etc. (before and after).
    A plywood with a wood finished floor might look a bit extreme though, perhaps you could look at staining the ply a darker shade such as a blue? Having the 2 woods looking similar could potentially look a bit weird.
    peony grace thanked alant1000
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yeah that's what I was thinking! I quite like the raw plywood look, so I might just sell some things and splash out on the Forbo otherwise I can see myself being frustrated in a few months time by the flooring. I do love dark blue cabinet examples I have seen. I like your kitchen !
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here is what the actual samples look like. Think I might go with light grey one!
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Which grey tone marmoleum would you go with?
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.