fragle0

To hang or not to hang pictures ??

Caitriona
8 years ago
Hi anyone who can help.

We did up a new room about a year ago and are thrilled with the results.

My question is should I hang pictures at either side of the stone feature wall or leave it be?

My husband thinks we should leave it be and let the wall stand out. I think it needs something.

The picture that there was only meant to be temporary

Opinions greatly appreciated

Comments (33)

• Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago

I wouldn't hang pictures either. It looks lovely.

• Related Discussions

I want to hang a bed from a ceiling with no roof access

Q

Comments (1)
    Wouldn't it be easier to go with a Murphy's Bed? [houzz=]
    ...See More

My Before and After picture for my garden

Q

Comments (95)
    It makes me cross that people think they have a right to make some quite negative comments on this post. Masmccar76 put these photos on because she thought people would like to see a genuinely lovely transformation of her garden. Instead there have been some downright nasty comments. By all means make comments but keep them constructive. Houzz is all about is sharing ideas, not about being nasty
    ...See More

Revamp our hallway

Q

Comments (44)
    Paint the doors black matt and the fames cream add silver crome door furniture. Huge silver mirror above the covered radiator then add a runner of any colour you like and match it with the lamps and lighting. hey presto done.
    ...See More

walk in wardrobe in a new build

Q

Comments (0)
    ugh, we're very lucky to be building our own house but I'm not enjoying how much work that involves. this is the random space I have for my walk in wardrobe - pentangular room without a doorway from the master bedroom, 630mm to the wall on the left which is 1780, then the facing wall is 1650mm, there's a 45°angled corner and 1580mm more, then 630mm to the original wall with 1255mm back to that door. I'm thinking shoe racks for 600mm inside the door on the left then hanging rail at top and middle of the rest of it over as far as the corner. Then vanity section with mirror and drawers below for make up and trinkets etc. then I'm a bit lost.... what should the break down of hanging vs shelving be and what about drawers!! I'm quite messy but am typically good at folding!!
    ...See More
  • Lindy Flower
    8 years ago
    That is a very nicely framed picture I would hang it somewhere. The room looks lovely
  • alant1000
    8 years ago
    Looks very good as is! Please can you tell me the wall paint color?!
  • Marina
    8 years ago

I agree. Lovely room, doesn´t need the picture.

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all very much. I appreciate it.

The wall is a mink grey from color trend.

What about a picture above the couch??

Should I take the one down above the plant?
  • alant1000
    8 years ago
    I think you could out the one above the plant on the section of wall between the windows perhaps.
  • tavolla
    8 years ago

All pictures need to be put down ,and your husband is right despite the fact that I always think that hubbies say no only to avoid the hassle;)

it is a room you should be proud of and i am sure you are.

• dottymax
    8 years ago
    I like the pictures. I think rooms look naked without.
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you tavolla.

Do you mean take down all pictures??
  • tavolla
    8 years ago

In my opinion yes

• tavolla
    8 years ago

What about.<< Higher >> plant

• tavolla
    8 years ago

Do you mind me asking where the sofa and roman blinds are from ,please?

• minnie101
    8 years ago

hi. It's a beautiful room.

I think a room is naked without art. Why not have a large piece of art on the mantlepiece? Try it with any large artwork you already have. Art normally looks really good between windows, especially if grouped, but I would only hang them between the window length and I think if you were to do that it may make the ŵalls seem shorter. Why not add another piece over the smaller plant? I might also add a coffee table to bring furniture into the middle of the room and then accessorise

• Emma Vale
    8 years ago
    This room is gorgeous! I'm a real lighting person so would probably have some battery operated string lights along the mantle piece and lots of candles on the hearth or mantle and that adds the feature rather than pictures on the walls.
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you everyone.

Tavolla: I am living in Ireland and got the blinds and couch from my nearest town!
  • puertovixan
    8 years ago

I always LOVE metal wall art. Would you like something like that? I have a few pieces in my living/dining combo. Or a nice mirror to make the space feel larger?

• Trisha Goodwin
    8 years ago

As a designer and householder, I would say, definitely put some pictures up - a house is not complete without them, but make sure they are something you love to make it really personal. Put a group on the left side but not over the TV, which always looks naff, because it draws attention to what is not really a very aesthetic object. Putting them on the left will visually balance out the TV as well. Again, I'd put a group of pictures in the space between the two windows - don't worry about matching frames too much, you can have several styles/colours as long as they link in some way, for instance some black frames and others with a lot of black in the pictures, or one wood finish and silver frames in a mix. I would always put mirrors opposite or on the side walls to windows, not on the wall with windows themselves, as this bounces light back into a room. Your room is really very neutral, so you can afford to go to town with some colourful artwork and maybe cushions on the sofas/accessories dare I suggest as well?!

• Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago

Totally off topic but are your windows oak upvc? Thanks

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you very much.

Yes the windows are golden oak.

Please do suggest with accessories, I would be grateful.

What kind of cushions would i go with?
  • Lee Jeffery
    8 years ago

Yes most def hang pictures or even two round mirrors the same would be nice

• credz4
    8 years ago

I love this room but as I hate that so many rooms are designed round the TV I would move or find somewhere to hide it then you could have your pictures. Try a different slant on the TV side by having 2 smaller pictures rather than a symmetrical look.

• Jo DP
    8 years ago

You need a long painting (that you love) opposite the sofa to the right of the window. I would advocate colour & the lively green plant looks fab against the neutral earth colours, so...just stick to that colour to keep the simple feel & choose shades of green for the painting by the window, which will suggest the garden too. Lovely, Fragle.

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you.

Jo DP: would you not put pics then on either side of the fireplace?
  • alyper
    8 years ago

I would be inclined to do away with the tv table and all its paraphernalia and gave a Smart tv on the wall with minimal white or silver frame, and have a balancing picture on the left, and mm at be another plant, of different shape and form under the right hand window.

• gd11
    8 years ago

I've got the same problem! I've had pictures re-framed to make them more contemporary and still have not hung them as I feel that hanging them will make the room more enclosed and smaller. I still haven't hung them up and I think that might be the right thing to do. Leave your walls blank and the room minimalistic. It looks far more sharper then.

• Miff
    8 years ago
    Wondering where you got your stone, what is it and what colour? I was looking for some in Donegal as I wanted to stone my fireplace this summer. Thanks
  • dulcie_hassey
    8 years ago
    I would take down the picture by the chimney breast and put it above the sofa. The stonework on the chimney give enough interest on that wall.
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all.

The stone is from Cois Na abhainn in Wexford. Well worth a visit
  • Michelle
    8 years ago

I would move the sofa to the opposite side of the room (providing there is not a door on that side, cannot see but a small over lap wouldn't hurt) move the armchair at far end of room near to the fireplace at a slight angle, either toward the fire if not watching tv or the other way if something good on the telly x. (everyone can enjoy the fire then).

Move the TV from the corner beside the fireplace to the corner where the smaller arm chair sits at present in the photo. Then less focus on TV and more focus on your gorgeous fire place, but TV still accessible to watch.

This would then free space either side of fireplace to hang pictures. if you enjoy your art work hang it, it makes your home your own. I would place similar themed pictures of the same size just below the level of the top of the lintel so the eye focuses on this strong line first, at the same height on either side of the fireplace. Follow this top line of frames around the wall and hang other pictures on the walls between the windows on each side of room (behind sofa in new position)

The TV unit is quite large, perhaps painting it in a very slightly darker shade than you walls will detract attention but only if this is not a well loved piece of furniture.

An oversize (or largeish) footstool in the middle of the room to put your feet on when watching the fire and double up as a coffee table with a beautiful large tray left on top to put your coffee on, flowers or a small collection of books. If large enough the person in the armchair could put their feet up too.

Just an idea. No idea of you view outside or where your power points are. If you want to further soften the room contemporary pelmets above your blinds would be nice in the same fabric and picture lights above your pictures create lovely ambient lighting glow.

lovely room though

• Michelle
    8 years ago

Would keep the frames all the same too, this will then let the fireplace still be the focus, the gold frame on your existing picture is nice, a dark frame would stand out too much and draw the eye to it. At present the dark lintel draws eye before the picture frame.

• bombel1972
    8 years ago

the picture with the fireplace, i too would leave, as is. looks nice. you know, in time, if, IF, you are/will be, a collector of art, then maybe then will be the time. but just for the sake of hanging something, don't worry too much. i think it looks good.

• Martin McCrystal
    8 years ago
    thanks
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.