tommyflan

POLL: Interior windows - hit or miss?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

Add something a bit different they say, try something new - well how about an interior window?

A hot new trend or one that should end - vote and tell us your thoughts below!

Munster Road. Band-Sawn Wide Plank in colour Light Tenorite · More Info

Hit!
Miss!
Oh not another trend...
Other

Comments (38)

• Trisha Goodwin
    8 years ago

Ghastly! Who wants to live behind a glass screen? One of my biggest loathes is conservatories that you can see into from a kitchen (or other) window, yuck! This always makes the kitchen feel tacky and the window look awful, nor does it do much for the conservatory (which should be banned anyway in my view, unless they are the real thing - wood and large and associated with growing plants.

• alant1000
    8 years ago
    A hit!!
  • Andrew Millar
    8 years ago
    more windows to clean? no thanks
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree with whirlligig regarding transoms. By the way, this is a "trend" that has been around for a couple hundred years! I have 12' ceilings on the main level, so I employed transom windows over the majority of the interior doors and passageways to match those over the exterior doors. I love the way they allow light to pass between rooms.

• Rob
    8 years ago

Transoms are a terrible idea if used in bedrooms. My parents house growing up had them, every time someone turned a light on upstairs all the bedrooms would be illuminated. We as children eventually covered them up with tin foil to stop the light.

• Emmanuelle
    8 years ago
    I love them! Very common in France in old buildings, so not quite a new trend. They were used to let the light spills inside in otherwise dark "middle rooms", in old buildings. My sister has an original one , in her corridor, and you can see her lovely office through. It really give a sense of light and space.... They are fab original features!
  • Najeebah
    8 years ago
    I think it depends on what rooms are on either side. Could work wonderfully, could be bothersome
  • PRO
    Vera Farrants
    8 years ago

With the right setting and application interior windows can work to create an effective ambience

• PRO
    Hedi Group
    8 years ago

In my humble opinion the windows inside in a house or apartment this is miss, but on the other hand if that an interior design this is can be fantastic view.

• PRO
    Ilaria Coppola Design ltd
    8 years ago

It depends where and why interior windows are used, they can work and can look fab!

• PRO
    Margarita Kolokotroni
    8 years ago

It is a trend, and quite a successful one.

• PRO
    Studio Interiors
    8 years ago

Great way to achieve light & translucency within the home.Ideal for dark hallways.

• PRO
    Eades & Draw
    8 years ago

Definitely HIT- but as with anything it has to be in the right situation and done well.

I'll be pushing for large interior windows on an interiors project we are overseeing as a divide between the pool area and the rest of the house :)

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

This is something that is now called "broken plan" rather than open plan. If you want the feel and light of open plan, but would like to keep separate spaces, say for an office or reading room, then this can be a solution.

• PRO
    Otago framers
    8 years ago

I like the way they open up the room

• PRO
    BLANK-SLATE STUDIO
    8 years ago

I love the use of interior windows. They open up the space and allow natural light to travel throughout the entire space.

• PRO
    Eleven10 Architecture
    8 years ago

nice industrial look yet soft enough for a home

• PRO
    Cox Jones Interiors
    8 years ago

Here's an example of where we have used interior windows in a formal Dining Room.

• PRO
    AZOULAY INTERIORS
    8 years ago

Great use of interior window for shower doors

• PRO
    Eyles Di Paola Architects
    8 years ago

Not a fan of internal rooms!

• PRO
    home refurbishments
    8 years ago

Definitely a thing to consider to bring light and depth into a space!

• PRO
    Style Our Home
    8 years ago

We love the transparency created within the rooms, It opens up a room massively! We think that it is a more stylish way to recreate the Mirrored wall illusion. Love it!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Love the contrast of a black frame towards a white wall!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Great way of bring light into your home.

• PRO
    Atmos Studio Ltd.
    8 years ago

interior rooms without windows crave daylight; interior windows also create spatial drama.

• PRO
    idesign
    7 years ago

I love the feeling of space and light this brings to the hallway!

• PRO
    KS Architecture
    7 years ago

I like the idea of internal windows in the right place - just be wary that at night in particular that you avoid looking at your own reflection (ie light inside, dark outside) - by considering curtain/screens.

• PRO
    Tony O Shea Vrogum Svarre distributor
    7 years ago

I think they give an inside outside feel to a house which is good.

• PRO
    Sash Windows Ireland
    7 years ago

Nice idea but if you have young kids you will spend a lot of time cleaning them

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago

A great way to devide rooms and keep lots of light! Its a hit from us.

• PRO
    Barlyn Property Services Limited
    7 years ago

This idea is not new. We have installed many internal screens which serve the purpose of diffusing as much natural light as possible. The dynamics of every space are different but the slim glazing bars offered by steel create bright separate spaces. Definitely a hit for me, I believe the right screens, particularly steel are timeless and add a certain exclusiveness to any building.

• Kaye Cullinan
    7 years ago

Great way to open up a space and add light

• PRO
    robin milne woodworks
    7 years ago

Absolutely, in this situation we used 3 laminated frosted glass panels (frosting is on inside of sandwich so it is not made translucent by condensation or steam) in a large barn attic with only one window letting valuable natural light into an otherwise dingy en-suite. also enhanced feel of both rooms

• PRO
    Nordikka - Bespoke Furniture & Steel Doors
    6 years ago

Bit different but still a glazed room division.

Sliding door walk in wardrobe · More Info

• Kerri O'Kane
    6 years ago
    Hmmm, not necessarily my cup of tea but has its merits in places so long as it doesn't make the room feel like a fish bowl. One thing I don't like though is if it allows you to see mess in another part of the house (my main bugbear about open plan...I don't wish to sit in my living room with the oven on and pots in the sink of an evening). They do give me terrible memories of internal glass doors in the 80s and stories of children going headfirst through them though.
  • Nathalie Martin
    6 years ago

Not a huge fan, but I can understand how it would help
    increase light in smaller homes. Could definitely see myself constantly cleaning the windows of smudges and
    handprints!

• PRO
    Juliettes Interiors Ltd
    6 years ago

Not keen on this particular design, the room looks like it should offer a more cosy atmosphere which is totally lost, especially with the style of fireplace. Evening lighting would have to come into its own. But as with any good design if done to benefit rather than just incorporating a trend for the sake of it, can provide beautiful light and space when needed.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.