glgardendesign

From plain plot to party pad

This very compact courtyard was transformed in a couple of weeks into the clients dream garden. The brief was to create an outdoor space which could be appreciated in the day but especially in the evening for entertaining friends. The couple were also very keen on cooking outside and regally used their BBQ at least three times a week even in the winter, so it was vital to have the gas BBQ as readily available year round for ease of use. There were some difficulties to get around, firstly the two drain access panels needed to be accessible and the air bricks in the walls also needed to be unrestricted. 'Millboard' Decking was the ideal choice for this space allowing for easy access to the drain covers. The scale of the decking at 17.5mm also made the space feel bigger with its larger than average width. The free standing made to measure outdoor sofa was the perfect solution to place in front of the air bricks allowing the air to circulate freely. The pale colour of the horizontal trellis not only complimented the lime washed finish on the decking but also helped to make the space feel twice the size. The lighting was key and designed especially to illuminate the beautiful London Stock bricks but also the tropical foliage creating a warm and atmospheric space which could be appreciated even in the winter through the comfort of the bifold doors. The clients were over the moon. All this was achieved for 10K

Comments (34)

• Emmeline Westin
    8 years ago

Beautiful space, I bet their BBQ dinners increased massively after this :)

• mrshste
    8 years ago

Beautiful!

• mouthycow
    8 years ago

What a gorgeous space!

• PRO
    Shake It Up! Business Solutions
    8 years ago

Love the bench! Great look!

• PRO
    Georgia Lindsay Garden Design
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks all! The bench is actually a powder coated sofa made to measure for the space. It was a bit hairy when it first arrived as it squeezed into the gap between the rendered beds with a millimetre each side to spare!
  • Koula Charalambous
    8 years ago

Stunning transformation !!

• bruket
    8 years ago

Beautiful. Amazing transformation!

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for your great comments. I think good lighting in a garden is so important especially this time of year when the nights are drawing in and getting dark around 4pm. You can still enjoy your garden.
  • Lindsey V
    8 years ago

This looks fantastic, is it OK to leave the BBQ outside all year?

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes the BBQ should be fine outside year round. It does come with a protective cover which can fit over the drop down hood which also protects it but I think if you are using and cleaning it regularly there shouldn't be any problem.
  • PRO
    Indigo Design
    8 years ago

How big is this space? It looked very small in the first picture but now I'm wondering if it's not actually fairly large for urban standards.

• happy warwickshire
    8 years ago
    I love that what a difference might have to save this for next years makeover love it so creative
  • PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes it is a fairly small space for the average London plot. The courtyard is actually a pentagon and measures approximately 4.5 x4.5 (20 square metres) I love the challenge of transforming the tinniest of spaces, packing it full of multi use components. For example there are also two concealed bins integrated into the design as well as a concealed storage area and bike rack area.

• mattlindsay
    8 years ago

WoW! Might pop you an email... we need this sort of help (different requirement though)

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Matt my fellow clan member! Please feel free to drop me a line. Are you in the London area? Happy to help. Georgia

• PRO
    Emma Jane Interiors
    8 years ago
    This is an amazing transformation, I really wasn't expecting to see such a high quality result! My favourite part is your use of colour =]
  • Emma
    8 years ago
    Absolutely fantastic!!!! I'd live out there!
  • berlow5
    8 years ago

Love the lighting here - so effective! I am curious about drainage though- say from the raised beds and if very heavy rain is there a gradient on the deck leading to drain outlet or something?

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Regarding drainage, yes there are drainage holes in the base of the raised beds concealed just below the surface of the decking. Any over flow water then runs to a drain by the bifold doors.

• PRO
    Surface View
    8 years ago

Fantastic transformation!

• yvonneht
    8 years ago

Stunning transformation...love love love it !!!!

• jessegee
    8 years ago

It looks stunning, what a great design, lighting superb .

• tavolla
    8 years ago

Do you mind me asking how much did it cost,please?

• S L
    8 years ago

Wow fantastic. Well designed

• PRO
    Leading Edgeware
    8 years ago

Fabulous transformation!

• PRO
    Fastrac Profiles Ltd
    8 years ago

Love the use of different materials complimented beautifully with the lighting. Has inspired me to do something with my own space now! Great work!

• Carmen Urquhart
    8 years ago

Love the unusual use of the colour red for a garden space, very daring! Looks so cosy and sociable.

• Susanna Leigh
    8 years ago

What a transformation! Not only is it a wonderfully daring colour but it also adds a genuine feeling of coziness and intimacy :)

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks you to you all for your great feed back. Claire to answer your question, lighting is such a great investment and essential to any UK garden where the light fades and for many months your garden is appreciated through the cold months from the warmth of the interior space. What good is it if you can't see it in the evening! its not too late to lay cables along the back of your flower beds, the cable can be laid just below the surface of the soil for ease of maintenance. Lighting up foliage is the best way to illuminate a garden. It softens the light in much the same way as lamp light in a room. Its always best not to see the actual source of the light but instead highlight plants and features such as walls, sculptural elements or water features. Its worth every penny. Good luck with your project!

• louisetomlin
    7 years ago

Stunning, such inventive use of the space, just shows what can be done in a small area - well done!

• E D
    7 years ago
    Very cool!
    Utterly successful use of limited space.
    Can I ask what the total spent has been?
  • PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The total spend was 10K, This included materials, labour, bespoke furniture, lighting and plants. You can read more about the details of the project above the photos at the start of this feed. This budget was achievable partly due to the the compact space of 20 square metres.

• PRO
    Primrose
    7 years ago

Wow, amazing transformation!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.