j_mac1958

Vi spring beds smell horrible

j_mac1958
Have bought two expensive Vi Spring beds and both of them smell horrible. The mattress and toppers have s distinct, pungent, almost barn type smell. Have tried airing them for weeks, no bedcovers on during the day, mattress up against the wall and windows open. Still no resolution. Smell persists. Has anyone else experienced this. There's a distinct lack of consumer feedback and reviews online re Visoring products.

• cherimayell
    That is disgusting they should replace them
  • j_mac1958

Hi Cherimayell. Thanks for your reply. Theyve now replaced mattress & topper (although it's been a long drawn out process I wouldn't wish to repeat). I understand that one can occasionally gets a "rogue" mattress and that this differs from the smell to be found on most new mattresses when they're first unwrapped. What puzzles me though, is the fact there are so few online consumer reviews on this well known brand. I've had to fight my corner blindly, so to speak.

• cherimayell
    So glad to hear you have replacements & rightly so. A recognisable company like this needs to act appropriately.
    Space Alchemy Interior Design

Some of the natural materials in a Vispring mattress include Vacuna wool, Mohair, Cashmere and Horsehair, some of which can occasionally be a little ... pungent, however, this shouldn't really be noticeable if they have been aired correctly before being shipped. I'm glad they've changed them for you but disappointed to hear that you've had such hassle from a premium supplier.

Perhaps worth writing to their Head of Customer Services and/or UK CEO to feed back your experience of after-sales care (or lack of!) if you have time as they should really be providing an equally premium after-sales service to match their premium prices.

j_mac1958 thanked Space Alchemy Interior Design
  • detelina_subeva

Hi - thanks so much for posting this. We received our Vi spring mattress and bed at the beginning of the month and the smell has not decreased despite all efforts to air the mattress. It is so strong and punishing that it is preventing me from falling asleep (that and the fact I am so upset with it!). I have just contacted the sales people with the complaint - your post gave me reassurance that it is a problem that has happened to others and is due to a faulty product and is not just "in my head". You are very right that there are few reviews which is why I am adding my experience, which I rarely do. Many thanks again for taking the time

• j_mac1958
    Detelina...thanks so much for sharing this. I'm so sorry that you too have problems with your new Vispring bed and I sincerely hope all will be resolved in due course. I was eventually issued with replacement products but this didn't happen overnight and I found the whole complaint process pretty stressful. Customer services at Vi-Spring weren't at all helpful until legal advice dictated that a very senior Vispring representative be informed of their legal position in relation to faulty goods. The replacement products I received smelt pretty horrible too but, unlike the previous goods, they did eventually lose the dreadful "barn" type smell. It took a couple of weeks of full airing to achieve this and I now sleep on a very comfortable problem-free mattress.
  • alvin51

We purchased a Magnificence some 4 years ago in soft tension. We complained from the outset that it was too firm. It took 3 years to get them to come down and check the bed. They eventually agreed that it was the wrong tension but refused a refund. We reluctantly agreed to take another model, the Tiara. The mattress has sagged and is very uncomfortable. They have again refused to change it, despite an independent report which states that it has sagged. Vi Spring have said that it is within their normal tolerance.

ViSpring are selling on their historic reputation and their quality is poor and after sales service non existent. We are going to have to dispose of the bed and purchase another make as the bed is so uncomfortable.

We have had ViSpring beds for 25+ years but would never buy one again. We made a very expensive mistake.

• paulgregorymarshman

VI Spring Very smell Herald Supreme Mattress

I purchased a new Mattress from Furniture village in Friern Barnet London N11 in September 2016 and it was duly delivery latter that month.From the out it had a pungent room pervading barnyard type smell that was frankly intolerable and did not subside after few weeks so put in a complaint to view spring who advised we contact the shop who sent out an independent inspector who was an expert on Vi Spring beds and immediately confirmed the smell was not normal and submitted a report back there an then,so naively we felt confident that this matterl would be resolved promptly. Several weeks later we had a letter back from Furniture village stating that there was no issue with mattress my complaint was closed. On taking this up with Vi Spring they were less than helpful saying they could not get involved as l didn't buy it from them and suggested l get a second inspection even though the first clearly confirmed there was a serious issue. Has anyone got any tips or advise on bringing this matter to quick conclusion as the threat of legal action has cut no ice and both parties show a very cavalier attitude to my issue which l find frankly shocking to say the least having spent thousands on this mattress !

• j_mac1958

Hi Paul. Sorry to learn that you too are experiencing problems with your Vispring mattress. As you can see from previous comments, my problem has now been resolved. This was only, however, after some difficulty. First of all, your contract lies with Furniture Village, not Vispring, and so ultimately its FV who are accountable for resolving this matter. It's also worth bearing in mind that if you paid by credit card they also have some degree of responsibility for resolution. It's essential you first understand your consumer rights under 'Consumer Rights Act 2015' (these replaced the older 'Sale of Goods Act 1979'). Please read the Act carefully as it'll be of benefit. For the first 6 months after purchase the onus to prove nothing is wrong with the goods lies with the seller. After this period the responsibility lies with the buyer. The fact the furniture assessor came out to inspect and verbally agreed there was a problem re smell, before FV contradicted same, sounds suspicious to me. Id advise you take this further. Perhaps you could escalate a complaint in writing, asking to see the written report. If they don't agree to your having sight of this, you could say you'll obtain an independent report and then claim the fees back from them. Don't forget, however, that for 6 months after purchase the responsibility for proving no fault exists lies with the seller (under SOGA). FV should be doing all the work neccesary to resolve your complaint. In my case it was John Lewis who were initially unhelpful, telling me I should take up the issue with Vispring (who were also unhelpful)! It was only when my son, who's a solicitor, pointed me in the direction of the older SOGA and ensured I understood my rights as a buyer did they sit up and take notice. JL contacted their legal team and got back to me with an apology. Yes, there was an issue with the smell in the mattress and yes they were responsible for resolving the problem as my contract lay with them, not Vispring. So, in summary I suggest you initially do the following:

a) Read & fully understand your rights under Consumer Rights Act 2015. Plenty of information exists online. Perhaps start with Which? guidance

b) Depending on how you paid for the goods eg credit or debit card, credit company, determine whether these too have a responsibility to resolve the matter. Include them in the complaint if so. Again, plenty of info exists online to help you.

c) insist on FV proving there is no fault with mattress and obtain evidence from them re same. Remember the onus lies on them for the first 6 months after purchase to prove that goods sold were as described, were of satisfactory quality and were fit for purpose. If they weren't, the seller is deemed in breach of contract and the buyer will have options for resolution, usually repair, replace or refund.

All the best. Should I be able to help in any other way, please just ask

• paulgregorymarshman

Hi J. Mac,just seen your reply. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this valuable advice for me to follow. I have been under a lot of stress from this issue trying to work out the best way to call to task these two supposedly reputable organisations who clearly put profit and their own agenda before customer satisfaction. Thank you so much for these words of wisdom which have been most uplifting .God bless you !

j_mac1958 thanked paulgregorymarshman
  • j_mac1958

You're more than welcome. Please do get back to me if you think I may be able to help in any way. It is indeed a very stressful situation to be in and pretty appalling to be treated so dismissively by both Furniture Village & Vi-Spring. I would add that the furniture assessors sent out by the furniture companies are paid for by the industry and so can hardly be deemed independent advisors. The odds for fair play seem stacked against the consumer unless one fully understands the protection offered by the Sale Of Goods Act. Good luck. Sincerely hope this matter is resolved for you as quickly as possible.

• j_mac1958

Apologies. Slight error in above post. For more recent purchases the Consumer Rights Act 2015 has replaced Sale of Goods Act 1979.

• M L
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi All. I just wanted to add to this chain, to help create more awareness around the issue. We received two Vispring Heaven Luxury Toppers to go with our Vispring mattress. The mattress had/has no odor, but we had an issue with both of the toppers. The first had such a potent odor that it continued to overwhelm whatever room it was in, until it was taken away. The barnyard "offgassing" was so strong we had to keep our windows open (in Winter) and have our pillows and comforter dry cleaned after using the topper. The smell not only filled the air, but physically transferred to anything it touched, including our skin and bed clothing. The replacement had the same smell, but it was noticeably less intense. It did not overwhelm the room, and it does appear to be getting better with time, but 6 days after receiving it, we still have odors when we get into bed, and wake up smelling (albeit more mildly) like a sheep barn.

Please note, Vispring was not considering this a warranty issue for us, so the replacement had to be initiated and conducted by the retailer. Vispring US customer service told us that in two years, they have never received a complaint about this issue, and suggested we continue to air it out.

At this price point and after it happening to us twice, I would think Vispring would take the issue more seriously. At the very least relay a message to their product leads to investigate, versus denying the issue exists at all.

j_mac1958 thanked M L
  • t12zhang

I purchased a Vi Spring mattress Regal Superb king size with matching boxing and headboard in Nov 2017 and got them delivered in the mid-Jan of 2018. I did not notice the smell until a month later, which I thought I should wash my sheets and duvet. But after that I still smell something unpleasant just as described by some reviewers like barn smell. Then I found it was from mattress. It is not yet full of house with intolerant strong smell, but when I am in bed I feel like I am sleeping in a barn. I know it is very very hard nowadays to deal with the business people and really don't want to exhaust myself in that maybe fruitless process. Any one know how to air the smell out? I am willing to try on my side first. Will the smell become stronger or will decrease? Really appreciate any suggestions and help!

• Sonia
    I would email the Chief Executive of the company explaining how intolerable the smell is, and you want a replacement. Don’t bother with “Customer Service” because it is completely the opposite! You can google who the Chief Exec is. If something is not fit for purpose, then they have let you down. I’ve always done this when I’ve been unhappy with a product or service and it always gets results. The Chief Exec will pass your email to an assistant, but it will get dealt with, trust me.
  • Jonathan
    Go to the people who you bought the bed from to get them to take up the case on your behalf with the manufacturer
  • t12zhang

Thanks forzaitalia for your suggestion. I will try if the smell does not disappear in the next a couple of months.

• t12zhang

Jonathan, thank you. But it will be very hard to deal with the retailer I know for sure. I purchased a vi spring displayed headboard with discount. I checked in the showroom and found no flaw, but when I received it, it has a small torn hole. The sale person acknowledged the hole but refused return or change with adjusted price. Only willing to repair. Now two months has passed, the hole is still there. As said it is very frustrated to deal with the business people nowadays.

• Jonathan
    I think your problem was trying to deal with it in person and with a junior member of staff.
    Instead you should write to the manager, state the facts such as exactly what product you bought and when, and the issue that you are unhappy with. Then state that you would like them to take the case up with the manufacturer. You should then state the options that would be acceptable to you such as a replacement brand new mattress, store credit allowing you to choose an alternative mattress or a full refund.
    Finally ask them to acknowledge the letter and to keep you up to date with progress.
    If you bought the product with a credit card you may be able to get the credit card company to take up the case on your behalf.
  • tongzhang

Thanks Jonathan for all your advice!

• HU-627241603
    last year
    last modified: last year

I bought a ViSpring mattress 15 yrs & had no problem with it.

Alas this can not be said for the replacement purchased 3months ago from And So To Bed.

The stench is of a feacal nature but not human. I was told by ViSpring via the retailer this was normal & to air the mattress daily, which I have for 3 moths changing linens & topper often!

Tomorrow I have an independent inspector coming, well hopefully, the first guy failed to arrive last week.

The stench is now causing me to awaken during night with nausea & breathing issues.

ViSpring are being deceitful about this long standing issue.

I am glad to have read all the other comments & feel justified in my complaint

• j_mac1958
    last year
    @HU-627241603 ... sorry to learn that you too are experiencing this dreadful, nauseating, faecal type smell. In our experience this lasting obnoxious aroma transferred onto everything in its vicinity. In fact, after a huge amount of stress, and only because of persistence & understanding our legal rights, the seller did eventually replace the mattress, topper, pillows & upholstered bed frame as the smell has permeated all. Again, only upon insisting that consumer law be followed and that if not the matter would be escalated, did JL eventually issue an apology, saying a member of their very senior staff had applied pressure onto a snr member of staff at Vi Spring. It took
    sheer determination on my part not to be fobbed off by both JL & Vi Spring, stress I wouldn’t wish to go through again. Hence, no future Vi Spring purchases here. I’m glad I placed the initial post here as before this I could find no reviews online. Considering the size of Vi Springs company & reach, I found it puzzling! There’s clearly a problem here that needs investigating and I fail to understand why this once renowned and respected company aren’t robustly doing so. Good luck with your appointment. I wish you well.
  • HU-627241603
    last year

Thank you J-mac1958. for your good wishes

Very helpful to read your post .

Ribena Drinker ...I am glad these posts have made you rethink ViSpring.

• HU-716756832

Good to read these posts for ViSpring which reflect my findings. I bought a ViSpring Tiara Supreme some 18 years ago and have never had a problem with it. However I have just bought an expensive ViSpring Signatory from 'And So To Bed' at +£15K (delivered July 2019 and the horse stable smell is still present. Since delivery the bed has smelled - we have left it unmade, and turned the mattresses monthly while we waited for other bedroom furniture to be delivered. We finally moved into the bed on the week before Christmas and the smell is still present - and gets worse through the night when the mattress warms up ! I lasted about a week and moved back to my spare room. I have just had a FIRA inspection this morning and the 'inspector' agreed that the mattress had a smell, but was normal for ViSpring ! He agreed that any smell should have gone by now and noted that the bed has been unmade and turned regular from July - Dec 2019. His advise is that even if ViSpring agree to supply a new mattress it will smell the same and he has suggested I might have an over sensitive sense of smell !

Let's see what the report says.

• obobble

Remember, if you are a member of Which you can ask them to assist you in disputes with vendors. Also might be worth contacting your local trading standards office.

• HU-716756832

I am pleased to advise that ViSping have agreed to change both mattresses. I will advise when they arrive as to the smell issue.

In defence of ViSping, the inspector came within a week of the complaint and they agreed to a change about a week after the visit. That is a good response and outcome (so long as the new mattress doesn't have the same problem).

• HU-716756832

New mattresses were delivered last Friday and are free of all but a 'new' smell. Overall, I have been impressed with the assistance from "And So To Bed" and of course Vi-Spring. They responded immediately and replaced without any problems.

• HU-325644671

We have had a Vi-Spring divan bed set delivered on 26-03-2020; when it arrived the mattress was damp and had a faecal smell of sheep/horse. The mattress was aired and turned many times by my kind neighbours until fully dried but the smell persisted. I rang up John Lewis on the 12th of March but they politely said that as we were in lockdown my case will be dealt when lockdown finished. We kept on airing and turning it and spent a few nights in it. As the bed warmed up the smell got stronger! We moved to another room! I am now waiting for a FIRA inspector (FIRA = Furniture Industry Research Association).

• j_mac1958

Replying to HU-325644671...I’m sorry that you’ve this problem to deal with. I was once a very satisfied customer of Vi-Spring, having bought several of their beds over a number of years and not once having had any reason to complain. However, my most recent purchase around 5 years ago was anything but problem free! As a result, I did some exploring online just to see if anyone else might be experiencing similar issues. I was astonished to find there were no Vi-Spring reviews or feedback whatsoever. Quite unusual in this day & age I thought, hence why I started this topic here. Since then, as you might already have read, there have been a number of people writing in and describing similar problems. Vi-Soring really do need to pay close attention to this recurring theme, although one wonders why they don’t appear to have done so already. I recommend you read back through these posts, that is if you haven’t already done so. Remember, your contract lies with John Lewis, not Vi Spring, therefore JL have responsibility to resolve the problem. You’ll find your rights under the Consumer Credit Act 2015. I wish you the all the very best.

• Peter Warren

Thank you for this thread. I actually ordered a ViSpring divan bed and mattress last weekend but, after reading the comments here and elsewhere about the awful smell, I cancelled my order. I'm now back to square one on which bed to actually buy. I do accept that perhaps they are using the best products for the mattress and, as they are natural (always a preference for me) there might be a scent, which would go over time. But there's no way I want to sleep in a smelly bed! Really appreciate all your comments and telling us about your awful experiences.

• HU-325644671

I have now had a FIRA inspector who acknowledge there was a smell and that this problem should be dealt between John Lewis and Vi-Spring. I am now trying to send an email to JL furniture aftercare team but, they can send me emails, but I can not send emails to them unless they send me an email first. Do you know an email I can send my complain to ?

• HU-325644671
    22 days ago

First of all I would like to thank j_mac1958 for her kindness and creating this very helpful post and advice.

Also I would like to thank John Lewis and their polite staff for refunding my money and the goodwill compensation on the 31st of August 2020

In my thanks I would like to mention WHICH legal for their support and advise.

• j_mac1958
    21 days ago

Thanks kindly for the acknowledgement. Glad you’ve finally resolved this most unsatisfactory issue.