abrenny

Should I paint the vanity?

abrenny
11 years ago
We are doing a bathroom remodel down to the studs, we need to reuse the vanity due to limited budget and the custom size. Wondering if we should paint or refinish, thinking possibly white? We have ordered a new cream/tan/white top, sink, and faucet for it, and have a stone/glass accent tile going up from the vanity to the ceiling. The floor tile is also a cream/tan glazed ceramic. We have a older traditional style home with dark wood trim throughout. I have had a few people tell me that they hate white cabinetry due to it being hard to keep clean and easy to see any scratch/flaws through the years but I think white would look the most modern updated, don't know what to do.

Comments (37)

• qam999
    11 years ago
    If you paint, make sure that the preparation is very thorough - sanding, degreasing etc. and take all precautions to ensure the best adhesion. I like the look of paint (especially to freshen up bland looking wood) but it needs to be properly applied to hold up in a bathroom.
  • decoratedeb12
    11 years ago
    I'm in the same situation right now. Our cabinetry is even older that this. I think you could paint it, maybe not a stark white. I'm considering experimenting with one of those glazed or old world finishes where it looks like it's supposed to have some paint missing on the edges. Then maybe it'll make it feel like an accent piece. Splurge on some cool hardware. Good luck, post the finished shot.
  • Sarah Betts
    11 years ago
    I have older oak cabinets in my home that I painted, they look great and are quite durable as well. I agree that preparation is key. I would lightly sand them first and then prime them with Zinnser Bin or Odorless primer, I found that Benjamin Moore Advance paint was the best for the top coat.
  • Judy M
    11 years ago
    I vote paint it. Go to a good paint store ( not Home Depot) and explain what you need to paint. They will explain the best product and steps you should take to accomplish the job.

Second option: hire a painter to to the job. They can take the vanity out and spray it.

Add new hardware and you've got a great vanity.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I vote for changing the door pulls and leaving the oak vanity as is.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Painting it white or black seems like it will give you a nicely updated look in your bath.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • andyseibt
    11 years ago
    yes paint it white
  • chickinvic
    11 years ago
    Yes I would paint them, but I'm thinking that's an awful lot of white if you go with white. Do you like a monochromatic look? I would go with something with more contrast such as black/espresso if it were me, but only you know what you like.
  • andyseibt
    11 years ago
    u can off set the nwhite cabinets with colored accessories, towels etc
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I'd paint black or gel stain espresso.
  • Lindsay Holden
    11 years ago
    Paint it! I painted a 50s era original kitchen on budget with a product called devflex which is industrial paint. It was very durable. It spread amazingly far and the leftovers ended up on my basement stairs and still hold up. Where possible use a high density foam roller in flat surfaces to eliminate drips and brush marks.

White seems logical. Espresso is going out...

For limited budget, get an awesome rug besides just something in the bath section. How about a fun pattern?
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    The oak looks worn out. I would lightly sand and apply a darker stain and then a coat of satin poly. Install new bronze hardware along with a large mirror with a bronze frame. Your toilet paper holder and towel holders should be in the bronze finish as well. This will give balanced contrast with your creamy beige tiles while maintaining a monochromatic color scheme. Add your pops of color with art and accessories. Add a long carpet runner to keep the appearance of the room large. Keep clutter organized and out of sight. Do not use fluorescent light bulbs, but rather 60 Watts on a dimmer switch.
  • jlbsideas
    11 years ago
    I think white would look fine, but a friend of mine painted her oak cabinets black and changed the hardward and it's stunning!....good luck
  • PRO
    Dingle Kreations
    11 years ago
    I would definetly paint but not in white, in black yes only if tiles were an off white wouldnt look good with the creamy beige you have, so paint in shade darker to creamy beige tiles to provide nice contrast.Change to chrome handles to modernise bathroom along with acessories in chrome to match i.e. towel rails,toilet paper holder and introduce a silver mirror wall mounted if possible to set it off.If colour needed you can introduce with towels,flowers etc.Good quality paint and preparation will be key,hire a painter who knows what there doing.White can be very cold.
  • pitbulls
    11 years ago
    I would paint it white or expresso
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    I would recommend a dark espresso, it would look fabulous with the white flooring and white countertops. Updated hardware will complete it!
  • User
    11 years ago
    I think the color of the vanity is all about the counter top. I just used tropical treasure granite with a vanity that is fairly similar to the color of yours although prob a little more maple and I cannot take my eyes off of it! It is beautiful. But I have Cashmir white granite in another BR and white is truly The best selection of vanity color for that counter top. So your vanity color really depends on your other selections.
  • southwind51
    11 years ago
    there is a chalk paint and glaze that takes very little prep..and has a lovely result..sorry can't think of the brand
  • wmpj
    11 years ago
    If you decide to paint the cabinets white or a shade of white, Benjamin Moore has a product called Cabinet Coat and it's great. It's a latex paint but it goes on like an oil-based paint without the odor. It's also very durable. You could also apply a latex glaze over the paint if you want. With the colors you chose for the bathroom, dark or white/creamy cabinets will look good.
  • cspz
    11 years ago
    Paint in a creamy white shade. Use glidden gripper paint for primer and add lusterol to your semi-gloss paint. Two coats of paint should do it. Top coat with polyacrylic, as an oil based sealer will yellow. Add beautiful new hardware to match your fixtures. Add a pop of color with a runner type rug.
  • Sally
    11 years ago
    Painting your vanity will look awesome but like everyone else said do your prep work. It will save you a lot in the long run. Also never skimp with cheap paint. I learned the hard way that Benjamin Moore and sherwin Williams are worth the money when you want a Paint job to last.
  • PRO
    Rethink Renovations
    11 years ago
    Paint it in espresso. I use the brand General Finishes Enduro Var for my custom cabinetry and furniture. It is water based and industrial grade. Get a pro to do it if you can.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    You could do charcoal, would look wonderful, then add brilliant coloured towels!
  • PRO
    Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC.
    11 years ago
    Don't see any problems with painting it.

If you want a nice clean look, Call a local bathtub refinisher and ask to have your cabinet sprayed. They typically use an epoxy based primer and Urethane/Acrylic top coat. It would make a nice clean glassy look!

Or you could go with the distressed look and brush the paint on, using a brillo pad to scuff down some edges here and there.

Like the first poster mentioned, make sure your preparation is thorough.
  • abrenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We decided to restain to a darker finish (my husband was very against the white idea) but it turned out great!!
  • Christine W
    11 years ago
    FYI with the grain on your cabinets you will be adding 10 coats to hide the grain lines. If you can repaint then you may want to see if you can afford to send the base out to a pro to do it for you.
  • jrlawl2
    11 years ago
    It looks great and you will be so glad you did that! There is nothing worse that losing hair in the bathroom and seeing it stuck to surfaces--gross--and so common with white paint.
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    11 years ago
    The darker stain looks great. It looks like a brand new cabinet. Well done!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Yes. It looks great!
  • PRO
    Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC.
    11 years ago
    Nice job abrenny! I like the backsplash too!!
  • PRO
    Phillip Craddock - ARCHITECT
    11 years ago
    Better stained
  • User
    11 years ago
    Wow, looks incredible. What stain did you use?
  • riesy
    11 years ago
    I painted my bathroom cabinets and since it was an 80's house it really needed updating. I went with an espresso color and I love it. I am about to paint the walls a very light sage with deep orange touches in an oriental feeling. I love my cabinets ... they are now in the 21st century!!!
  • abrenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks all....@imimpb it was a poly-stain in american chestnut, with a wood prep conditioner applied first over the wood once it was thouroughly sanded down to the bare wood. It looks a little darker in person than in the photo but all in all it was a very inexpensive fix, and we only used 2 coats of stain which was nice so it only took one day to get it done :) here is another-daylight pic which looks a little different.
  • jlbsideas
    11 years ago
    Great job!!!..It looks beautiful!
  • jennilindemann
    11 years ago
    Thanks! We ordered a very similar counter for our bathroom and the cabinet is off white it looks awful so I was thinking of painting it a darker color! This convinced me! THANKS! I looks great!
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.