egreevy

Dormer exterior lacks kerb appeal

Edel
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

HELP... Looking for ideas about how to give our house exterior a facelift. The exterior is pebble dash and don't think we can really change that as every house in our estate is the same. I'm thinking dark grey trimmings & a new door in pistaschio kinda green with full height window panels either side of the door.

Comments (25)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    I think you should add a full light front door or timber or full light with timber trim
    Edel thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Brandi - Like the idea, but the full light would mean ppl can see directly into our hallway.. which would be very open - not sure if it's practical. Some other houses have wooden doors but it seems very flat.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello egreevy,

Well you can transform the look of the facade without much work.. Consider painting the front door and window frames a colour that will make them stand out... The house needs something to lift as it's all one colour..

It would be nice to paint the garage doors the colour you choose for the front door and window frames... Ivy green is nice, or a granite grey, You could possibly include the eaves too if you liked that idea.. Then some lovely large trough planters and some fantastic plants.. Think Cherry Laurel is a beautiful dark large leaf that would be really nice to create a low bush, round the perimeter of the house under the windows etc..

Could you add window boxes with some buxus balls? This would add some lovely dramatic foliage to the house.. Few ideas that could have a big impact.. For windows that are easy to maintain, faux buxus are a good idea... just make sure you order what you need at once, as they can change colour due to batch makes.. plant as usual! They come with a chain that you can bury in the soil, so they don't blow away. : ))

Edel thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Agree about painting the front wall.

Love the plants. I'd love if our drive wasn't right at our front door & the entry was more welcoming....

Thinking a chunkier door surround might help give definition - love green, paired with painting the trimmings of the house grey i.e. window sills & possibly painting around the window frames?

• Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Awesome thanks AJ INTERIOR STYLING LTD - Love those suggestions. I can't paint the windows :( they are pvc:( Would love to replace but not in the budget at present :(

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello egreevy,

Excellent!!! .... : ) ) YES!! you can... give me a mo.. I'll find you a link! : ))

http://www.kolorbond.co.uk/kolorbond-paint-plastic-pvc-upvc

http://www.homeandgardenware.co.uk/homeandgardenshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=356_360&products_id=1491

Or a slightly longer route but you can then hopefully add any green paint colour.. This product adheres to plastic so it can then be painted over...

http://www.sandtex.co.uk/products/sandtex-pvc-u-primer/

http://www.zinsseruk.com/how-to-guide/how-to-paint-plastic-and-upvc/

• Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh didnt realise. Very good.. only thing is the squares are between the window panes.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of upvc but I really like your windows. Are you after a contemporary look or more traditonal, cottagey, beach etc? I like the door you've posted but I do think that shade of green is better offsett against white personally. if you go for a wood door with glazed side panels it may not need a chunky surround. Is everything painted bottled green at present, it's hard to tell?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello egreevy,

Well I don't think you're alone.. there are a lot of white upvc out there. What squares do you mean? Muntins and Mullions.. For me I'd suggest painting with a brush... For the small parts between panes of glass, use a tiny brush... Very soft bristle... Then there is less to clean off the glass! I use artists brushes or makeup brushes.. It's not as slow as you'd imagine.. As it's a lot easier to go along in 1 brush stroke.. : ))

• Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

minnie101 Yes everything is bottle green including garage door. I'd like more contemporary feel but not sure it'll work.. It's not a contemporary looking house so might be best to go more traditional or cottagey.. my own personal taste is a lil mix matchy & eclectic.. neutral enough backdrop with splashes of colour & little references to retro & mid century.

Thanks for the feedback on the door colour. I'm upgrading the door so I want to get it right as it'll be a big outlay..

• Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

AJ INTERIOR STYLING LTD I'm not up with the lingo! The squares are actually between two panes of glass so we'd have to remove the glass to paint them

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello egreevy,

That's okay : )) I'm not familiar with this style of window either : (

Do you mean that it is 2 large panes of glass with dividing panels inside? So panes are not sitting into the glazing bar/beading as they are also known as but are just 2 large sheets of glass made to look like smaller grid style panes by an insert between?.. This is new for me... : ))

This would then be a more tricky task to paint.. I would suggest if you know who installed or where these style windows come from, it might be worth speaking to them to see how easy it would be to do..

Otherwise it would be painting the frame, but aesthetically it would not look right.. Perhaps start with some plants and the front door which will definitely make a nice transformation.. : ))

• Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

AJ INTERIOR STYLING LTD best explained with a pic!

Yes a new front door & plants will make a massive difference.. If the green is not going to work well against pebble dash, I'm now considering wood.. or perhaps a dark grey might be strong enough.. #CONFUSED! Lots to consider

• Jonathan
    8 years ago

As far as the front door goes I would paint the UPVC where you can and accept that it is going to have a white window in the middle of it. I think replacing the side panels and/or the door is alot of expense without making a big change.

Personally I would spend the money on big pots and big plants.

Painting your front wall will really help too.

Edel thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello egreevy,

Okay, yes I see, it's a difficulty but maybe not impossible... Just whether you want to try to find out more about this.. Taking windows out to paint is a bigger job but it may still be possible.. ... So for the immediate.. Paint the front door (just the door) it might give a nice finish to have the side windows white.. Then you have a bit of contrast like your image above.. and add window boxes with lovely foliage or buxus.. it will work with the green you already have...

I couldn't see as my screen was dimmed.. I think leaving all the ivy colour you have at present would be really nice.. (hence my suggestion of more green!! Also I wouldn't paint the pebble dash, to me it looks absolutely fine on the house itself.. Maybe the small boundary wall at the front and a bit of the garage.. Also a flat box hedge coming over the top of the boundary wall could be nice too.. It will be lovely and green..

: ) )

• minnie101
    8 years ago

I think a contemporary look would work. The green looks almost black in the pics so you can envisage how a charcoal would work. I'd do everything in the charcoal except the bit around the base of the house ( never know what it's called!). I'd do that in the same colour as the pebble dash to give a bit more height to the house. Solid front door in the grey with chrome furniture and fully glazed panels either side. Then add architectural plants in dark grey planters. Maybe also a contemporary light for the ŵall? Something that stands out a little more? Phase 2, maybe look at the garden to tie it in? It's a really lovely looking house though, the only thing I'm not keen on personally is the door but if you wanted to save money it could look much improved painted ( IMO :) ) good luck with whatever you decide.

Edel thanked minnie101
  • Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks a mill Minnie101..Really good points. I kinda had my heart set on green door but seriously contemplating grey door now - I do love grey. I can see that it would add height by keeping the trim neutral - I was looking at other houses in the estate earlier and the others that have kept it neutral definitely look better so I'm pretty much convinced on that front now.

I don't think I'll be painting the windows at this stage. But I'm definitely replacing the front door.. it's drafty and pretty ugly.

I love this colour - also love the style but would something more contemporary be better?

• Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love these planters.. think it could work quite well

• Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So I am going to paint the house trim in a more neutral tone.

And I have ordered box planters. No work has been done yet so house front is the same.

I am now looking at replacing our drafty ugly front door with a grey composite door and the finding it hard to get a composite design that I really like.. the more traditional ones are quiet groovy. Stuck. But will more contemporary work?

I've got two designs in mind and love some feedback.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. Sorry I didn't get notification of your previous comment, it only seems to work half the time, if that! I like your first design posted on the 5th the best as its a mix of traditonal and contemporary. How would you have the glazed panels with the last 2 designs?

• Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thanks minnie101...I love that design too but can't seem to source it in composite.
  • Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    on the last two... for the contemporary version I'd prob go full length glass slighty obscure. for the traditional.. might be better to break it up... perhaps 2 panels.
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Are you set on composite? I had one fitted in my last house ( new'ish build) and the paint chipped off within weeks, was not happy! I'm not trying to put you off btw, that was just my experience of my door! How is the hall styled? Just wondering if timber or composite would look better. If you went for the traditonal composite version, could you do side panels as per the first pic?

Edel thanked minnie101
  • Edel
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    the whole house is a project!! inside the front door I plan to have lil patch of tiles & oak flooring yet to be confirmed!

Pretty set on composite... seems sensible option... safe & well insulated. I can get 2 panels & glass in top.. I'll have to enquire about more than 2 in side panels.. haven't seen it.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.