roundwooddesign

Is this kitchen to minimum or just right ???

Roundwood Design
Traveso Champagne handless

• Jonathan
    I suspect this is a clients kitchen, was partly their decision and now installed is not going to change.
    Are you asking the community because you want praise or constructive criticism in order to change something?
    Roundwood Design

Yes this is a clients kitchen, we're just looking looking for some feedback on what people think of this minimal kitchen style

• Related Discussions

Need help for my kitchen

Q

A soft mossy or grey green would be my first impulse but Sarah's dark blue looks good. It depends on your kitchen ware. White porcelains will pop with the blue and earthy stoneware will go more with the soft greens. I'd add a shelf to extend from the cabinet across the tile and a pot rack or hooks over the stove.
    ...See More

Is my kitchen design working?

Q

Lovely, much better than the 3D plan. V glad you kept your patterned floor tiles, I really like them. It's all come together very attractively. The only thing I'd change and this is just because I'm a colour freak is the pendants - I'd probably have made those red and orange or something. But congrats really, it looks great.
    ...See More

Please help me to update my old antique pine kitchen

Q

I agree, I think the kitchen units are quite charming. The tiles date it, the top of the dresser and the piece over the window. Agree, would paint the ceiling a soft chalky white. I know they're becoming a little overdone but metro tiles would suit but handmade ones in a soft white unless you just remove the tiles altogether and have a splashback by the oven. Can you afford to update the floor? The dresser offers good storage space, have you considered either just removing the top half or updating the top so changing the architrave and glass panes? The fire itself looks lovely, do you need the heater in front? I also like the brick but the recesses are dating it. I definitely wouldn't paint the brick, if you were to do anything I think it would need plastering over to cover the niches unless you are able to match the brick. Do you have a better pic of the firep? If you are set on painting the kitchen units, I would look at the really dark greys and inky Blues for the base units, as I think they'd suit the style well, with brass cup handles with a very pale grey for ŵall units. Or if you want the same colour units, look at a mid tone grey.
    ...See More

Houzz Live Chat - Designing a Dream Kitchen, 1 pm, 15 July 2016

Q

A15) @Dara Cooke: If you can't afford a quartz or granite worktop from day one then I would recommend using a laminate worktop as a temporary solution. If you don't put tiles up as a backsplash then replacing the worktops can be relatively easy in a couple of years.
    ...See More
    Roundwood Design
    Both. The kitchen is not going to change. The client is very happy.
    Any commutation is welcome it allows us to develop new ideas and keep up to date with the latest trends.
  • Marina

I love it.

Roundwood Design thanked Marina
  • minnie101

I don't mind it and I'm really not a minimalist person in a kitchen at all but do quite like it. Could certainly live with it! Having said that I'm not keen on the size of the ŵall units and I couldn't handle all the sockets so prominently displayed. I also like symmetry so the splashback would annoy me and the sink and hob position! I do think because of the colours used it gives it warmth whereas similar kitchens in other colours can be a little cold IMO

Roundwood Design thanked minnie101
    Roundwood Design

The mirror idea sounds wonderful if i lived there i think i would go with that.

• Rob

I have used it before in my last house (see photo), it was a modern 1980s house so I went with white high gloss white with Iroko tops and Iroko parquet to the floor. There was a great view in the mirror that I wanted to capture and make the room seem bigger. This photo was before the walls were painted.

Moved now to a Victorian house so went with a totally different look this time around :-)

Roundwood Design thanked Rob
    colourhappy

Tonally, it looks a little insipid. If you squint at the first image a black square jumps out at you. I looks like it needs a darker colour to give some structure to the scheme. A strip of inky blue along the back would look great, loose the upper small cupboards, they look lost and put up one long oak shelf.

• headers13

I don't like it at all. The plug sockets really stand out & not in a good way. Looks unfinished like it needs tiling or a splash back. I don't like strong colours but this is very insipid.

• Tani H-S
    I like it as its clean and contemporary - although I'm not normally a beige kinda gal.

Only things I don't like are the sockets and that the upstand ends halfway on the wall? Are you still fitting that?

Personally I would prefer a sink within eye sight of my hob ( so I don't turn around and catch someone with a pan who is passing behind me) but that's just my practical side. Also would have suggested a tambor in the corner to hide all those shelves. We have one and it's great and hides the microwave in that corner with all the plug sockets as well. Depends what the client wanted of course as they might prefer open shelving
  • gardenmay

I don't think it helps that the roof light is not central to the room - it affects the entire kitchen which has been planned Central to this. The entire beige thing is quite a strong statement and those black plugs and appliances just don't seem to fit in with that - the upstand also needs to be completed. The wall units look really odd - would look better if none or along full width of wall. Like the unit style though :)

• Laura
    It wouldn't be my choice of kitchen, but I do like it. It looks warm, particularly with that beautiful floor.
    As said before, the sockets would get on my nerves and the wall units look lost.
    I looked into having a handless kitchen, but I couldn't open the dishwasher on all the ones I tried.
    Roundwood Design

Probably should have mentioned that the kitchen isn't 100% complete, the quartz upstand is still to be finished and the customer will be adding colour to the back wall when they move in.

• alant1000
    I think the wall cabinets at the top look too small and it makes it look at if the client ran out of budget and couldn't complete it. Maybe some shelving to make it look for of a functional rather than an empty space would have been a better idea.
  • Gatos Rojos

I agree with alant1000. A full run of those lovely short wall units along the back wall with a concealed cooker hood would add some balance overall.

• milfordmaid
    @johnathandb - OUCH!!
    Roundwood Design
    Personal tastes are alway different.
    It is also important to give the customers what they ask for sometimes we might not always agree on design.
    Thank you for your opinions it is appreciated.
  • turquoisetree53

I think I would kill myself, if I had to look at that cooker hood every day.

• turquoisetree53

Is the cooker hood trying to pretend it is a Telly?!

Akiva Projects Ltd

Looks pretty good. I couldn't say is too minimum or is just right. It features contemporary style, minimalist is one of the characteristics. It is too neutral colourless but as you said that is down to the client not us designers.

I like the layout and wooden floor as well. Recently, we have installed the same cooker hood for a client, it gave a nice, sleek finish to the overall look.

StJames Design Interiors

MERRICK DESIGNS

I like the units and floor, the kitchen looks very functional with good storage. However are the wall units hung too high or just too narrow/ small? Perhaps a budget thing. Also not keen on the sockets but what options are there to solve for this that is effectively? I agree on radiator - I like like something which is a more design statement.

Roundwood Design thanked MERRICK DESIGNS
    Openplan Design

if the customer loves it then it is a result. only criticism would be that those lift up wall units are placed very high, when flapped open it will be difficult to shut, unless the clients are very tall. 60cm above worktop level is just right. Also i agree on the comments about the sockets and switches. personally i would place nothing on the back wall itself, leaving all fused spurs etc in a designated cabinet. sockets inside the open shelving unit, and on the right hand return wall, with pop up sockets closer to the hob, this will help minimize the wall clutter. On a personal level, i would have preferred a white worktop and oak accents to complement the floor, with a light turquoise glass splash back

Roundwood Design thanked Openplan Design
  • crowningfashion

The wall units are too high. When using a kitchen the chef needs to be able to reach each shelf in a cupboard. I personally would hate having to go fetch a stool so that I could reach into the cupboard and I'm 5'6. I have also lived with cupboards that were too high and the amount of hassle that they caused and danger by climbing onto a chair with the dog, hubby and friends all in the kitchen was not worth it.

Amber Jeavons Ltd
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello Roundwood, It's very nicely made the colours work beautifully with the flooring too, did you do this too? Of course if something has been specified by the client it is the clients wish.. Although with some decisions a professional eye could interject to explain a better solution for aesthetic benefit but having said that, it is up to the client to take the suggestions on board....

It has been suggested that the top wall cabinets are too small.. it would look better if they continued along the wall end to end- it would indeed give a more cohesive and streamlined finish in line with the bottom cabinets.

I don't personally like the cooker hood or electric hob. I think though if you boxed in the extraction pipe and paint the colour of the wall.... It would enhance the appearance of it.. I have a strong preferential for chrome free standing ranges and hoods of particular styles, but that aside..

The base cabinets are really nice with the exception that the small panel along the back wall should continue all the way along. I like these actually for marble, granite, other stone, wood or concrete.. I think they are a sleek alternative to tiling or splash backs in coloured glass which I do not like at all.

The sockets are not that nice. I like polished chrome or nickel and very flat with a gr8 deal of thought taken as to their placement, they have to be equidistant.. Anything electrical fuse type.. ie for oven etc should be wired and sockets placed behind cabinets with a cutout to access rear of wall and socket.

The work is very nicely done and the choice of cabinets too.. The colours and the use of matt paint is also lovely and fashionable.. The island too could have been worked to include a wine fridge and the red storage flat on rather than added on to the side.. I also do not like the rounded edge. Something square or rectangular would have suited the overall appearance..

One thing that really spoils the look are those spotlights under the top cabinets.. Something linear and possibly invisible would have been a thought.. They are also not in line but the one to the left is above the socket..

Also it would be nice to have the back wall painted a darker mushroom colour.. Otherwise it is very nicely done.. I am glad though to see I am not the only nitpicker here! : ) ) I am quite possibly the worst when it comes to small details and finishes, I have very beady eyes! But really it's a few minor things.. I really like the design of the cabinets and the colour : ) )

• maddiemo
    It's a great blank canvas to either leave or add to depending on your taste. My only criticism is there's no tiling or splash backs to protect the walls around the preparation and cooking areas
  • Zedx

I like the style of the units but the colour not at all . It is probably an expensive kitchen but the colour makes it look cheap . There are no kitchen accessories in it which may improve the look plug sockets look ugly we have just fitted a similar kitchen made by a local carpenter and it looks great

Hampstead Design Hub

Hi there! The client is always right even when hi is not!) You did very good job. They will place some staff in to the kitchen and it's will look different.

• Zedx

No help from any designer just Houzz website and 25 beautiful kitchen magazine. Plus walking through how I use the kitchen with friend who trained as a chef.

• paddyart

to bland for me and the rear wall looks like a cheap tv media centre

• wendy Anderson

Too beige for my taste but obviously the client liked this. In terms of cabinet type and layout - beautiful

• honeypoppet

Love the kitchen cabinets, design etx...but really some other colour is needed.....a really dark blue would look very nice

Industrial Chic · More Info

Heritage · More Info

Ensign Accessories

Anyone who loves clean and tidy would die for this kitchen. Unfortunately most of us could not keep it that tidy, but oh to dream.

• kazza_hayward

My kitchen is cream so I love the colour of this one but where's all the homely touches? it looks like someone's just moved out. Needs 'cosying up'!

Ensign Accessories

And I love the extractor fan - only because it is exactly the same as we have. What amazes me is the Marmite effect this kitchen has had, but it has been done for a client, and it is very rare to get 3 people to agree, let alone the community of Houzz.

• embletoni

Love the style, but not the execution. The shape of the island, the wall units that look ridiculous and the dominating cooker hood all jar, in my opinion. It looks cheap and I'm not overly keen on the colour.

Bryson Kitchens and Bedrooms

It looks very good James. Even though as you say it was a clients design build, it works fine. Once the Island has stools it will fill it out better. Has that naked look at the moment. The position of the wine rack might cause issues but overall it looks like a really clean and fresh kitchen. Plenty of natural light and the colours compliment each other. The extractor is a nice feature too. Everyone has different opinions as I see on here but if the client is happy with it then job done. Looks really well fitted too.....well done :)