clare_45

How can I improve a hideous 70s flat roof garage!!!!

clare_45
8 years ago

Hello I'm looking for help/ideas as I have no idea how to improve the garage which sits alongside our Victorian semi. We have done a lot of work to our house (it's painted throughout in various shades of farrow and ball grey, antique furniture) and have very little money left to improve this eyesore! It's a funny proposition because it's so close to the house but not joined to the house (people then kind of incorporate them in structurally) nor is it set further back, so it wouldn't jar as much. Apart from demolition (!), I'm nervous that anything I do to soften it might have the reverse effect and make it stand out more. My options as I see it for the front are:- Do nothing (!) Replace the garage door and side gate (the latter is cheap ply) Sandblast the brick Paint the brickwork (would this look odd?!) Paint but not replace the door and gate New light over door Wooden cladding (!!!) Basically all or a combination of the above I'd rather do nothing though if it will be expensive and/or look worse. Here's some pics of the house and garage and a 'Mood board' image which I've been inspired by. Any thoughts/suggestions? The light is one I've already bought to replace the current bulk head light. Thanks in Advance.

Comments (4)

• Emmanuelle
    8 years ago
    Beautiful house and the garage is not that bad! Don't paint the bricks though! You would have to maintain them and paint them regularly! No need to sandblast! Just try to jet wash them... I bet they come out lovely! Then I would just paint the garage door and side gate with dark grey/ coal. Put oversized plant pots on each side, or even cheap lavender would look nice! To hide the squareness of the garage roof ( although I don't find it offensive!) grow some climbers on roof line or have a mock roof built! ( short roof which from the front, looks like there is a proper roof!) sorry if I am not clear about the mock roof!! ;-) good luck!
  • clare_45
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! Although I didn't express myself as you have done you've come up with a lot of the same ideas I had. A friend suggested the coal colour too. And I'd wondered if there was such a thing as the mock roof you mentioned. Thanks so much - some great advice

• PRO
    RED Interior Design
    7 years ago

Agree, fab house with many beautiful touches. Is there budget enough to get the garage rendered in similar fashion to the portion of the house? Paint the door a dark charcoal colour (as Emmanuelle suggests). Getting a green-roof planted would improve the flat roof when viewed from the bedrooms of the house, and a nice bit of greenery flopping over the front of the garage would distract the eye from the more "modern" construction vs the older house. Good luck.

• Grem U
    7 years ago

Unless your car leaks oil I would lift up the middle row of paving slabs and put down grass (artificial won't need cutting and can look very realistic). I'd be very careful in doing anything with the roof as planning permission may be needed and the walls are probably only single brick which could lead to structural problems, if you change anything to do with the roof. I think a couple of climbers and some trellis at either side of the door would improve it no end.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.