bazeleypartnership

Before & After: Coastal Home in North Cornwall - Rebuild

Our architects designed this replacement 5-bedroomed dwelling to sit on a challenging site located on the side of a steep coastal valley in North Cornwall.

The owners were inspired by Californian design ideas and wanted to bring some of these concepts into this building. Our design solution was to create a simple heavy stone plinth for the partially underground lower-storey with a lightweight timber frame upper storey giving dramatic views along the valley.

The first floor features a rooflight that spans across the length of the main open plan living space drawing in light, whilst the large floor to ceiling windows frame the views out across the bay. The low positioning from the roadside view of the property gives the impression of a smaller building which helps to site the home well in the context of other local properties.

Sustainable technology solutions were incorporated into the design to optimise sustainable energy solutions for the property, including solar thermal panels and air source heat pumps.

What do you think? We think the transformation is stunning!

Before

After

Comments (16)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.