emmelinewe

POLL: Separate beds in bedroom - yes or no?

Emmeline Westin
8 years ago

Your partner snores and you can't sleep. Or you read in bed at night and your partner doesn't. Or you work late nights and your partner starts work early.

There are plenty of reasons to have separate beds or to have separate bedrooms. Do you recognise any of the above? What's your situation? Please share your experiences in the comments section below.

Comments (22)

• Andrew Millar
    8 years ago
    separated...loving a double bed to myself.no heating on,no snoring,no moaning(not that kind!!)and I can read anytime I like.bliss.
  • peediewee
    8 years ago

together, i like to snuggle.

• carthiefintexas
    8 years ago

I like my bed to myself.

• teenytinyhouse
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like to snuggle, my other half likes his space. So I compromise and have a King size bed - he can escape to his side with ease! Separate mattresses make a difference, I toss and turn and it's less noticeable with a separate mattress. Also, I'd have a super-king if it would physically fit in my house... as it is the king is pushing it!

• soozmacrae
    8 years ago

We have a double bed but I would prefer a bigger bed, but my husband likes to snuggle up.

• PRO
    Indigo Design
    8 years ago

We have separate bedrooms as both of us are very light sleepers and if we sleep together neither of us gets any sleep! Besides which we like beds and rooms at different temperatures, we go to bed and wake up at different times, and I like space and he likes to cuddle. Nightmare! Even if it's a small room (I've just finished refurbishing what was a small bathroom into a mini pod room) having that wall and door makes a big difference.

• nudejude
    8 years ago

At one point we slept in separate bedrooms as my husband's snoring was so bad, but we had to sleep in a double when on holiday and found we really missed sleeping together, so we've now gone back to a double and I've found that he tends to snore most when he puts his hand under his chin, so I gently try and reposition the hand and that usually stops it.

• stebonheath
    8 years ago

One very loud snorer, one insomniac. Once we took the plunge and moved to separate rooms we both slept better. I do miss the snuggle tho!

• lindalis
    8 years ago

A king size with two mattresses is ideal, you can still snuggle but you are not disturbed by your partner tossing about. Snuggle while you can, my husband is now severely disabled and cannot now sleep in our bed and I so miss snuggling up to him.

• Gloria Vera
    8 years ago
    King size the best we still love to sleep together lol
  • glendevon
    8 years ago

We have separate rooms - I read, watch telly, get up early, will often read in the middle of the night. This would disturb my OH. Also he moans that I snore (but so does he!). My dog sleeps on my bed - so no room for the OH anyway....

• bruket
    8 years ago

I live on my own but I still have my kingsize bed, I miss a cuddle from my husband. He used to read or listen with earplugs to radio 4 if he couldn't sleep. Now it is me who can't sleep, I listen to the radio, without earplugs since there is nobody to disturb.

• PRO
    Surrey Kitchen Installation
    8 years ago

Separate rooms, wonderful sleep. I don't suffer from insomnia... anymore.

• kimberleymikado
    8 years ago
    Currently spending a couple of nights a week in separate rooms because of husbands bad snoring which helps me catch up on sleep. I still like to snuggle but considering full time move as this sleep deprivation is driving me nuts!!!
  • just4edith
    8 years ago

We have a double bed but it's a couple of single divans zipped together, this does cut down on movement being felt when the person your sleeping with turns over... additionally we have separate duvets which is fantastic!

My husband likes to be tucked in and have the covers right up to his ears and I can't bear either!

In the winter though I hate that wind tunnel down my back so, for us, we want to share a big bed but not a duvet!

• Bexy Grout
    8 years ago
    Same bed, separate duvets. I feel a bit lost if my partner isn't there but always pull the duvet off of him, so he always used to end up in the spare room, so now we each have our own
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago

Oh no. If you can't share same bed then separate rooms are in order. Twin beds ...? Nope. How will you dig at him to stop snoring from the other side of room? How does that stop him from moaning that the light is STILL on? He still wakes you getting up + clattering around the room in the morning as you twisting over for the 1st time in your sleep. Twin beds in Master Bedroom doesn't sit right with me.

• cvcwade
    8 years ago

Separate rooms, I think lots of people do like their own space but not many people discuss it, a bit of a taboo subject. Why sleep in a 3 foot narrow space when you can have the whole bed to yourself and not be disturbed by snoring, someone pulling the quilt off you, turning over, the list goes on.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think I might follow up with another discussions: does your partner snore? :)

• debbydebs
    8 years ago
    How could I kick him when he snores if we had separate beds in the same room!
  • Carole Player
    8 years ago
    I think couples probably sleep better when there is no disturbance from a partner, but I do think it is important not to make it a permanent arrangement as you lose that lovely close contact and the intimacy of snuggling - I think this is very important in our busy lives.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.