louiseconnolly1

Gravel driveway for 1930s red-brick!

louiseconnolly1
5 years ago

Looking for some advice on the exterior of a 1930s house that we're renovating. I's a traditional red-brick, with chalk sash windows and a sage green solid wood door.

We're putting decorative stone/gravel down in the drive in and are unsure about the best colour to go with the house exterior front. Any advice would be appreciated!! We're thinking grey or that natural/goldy colour but not sure

Comments (3)

• campo73
    5 years ago
    We are having the same dilemma, albeit we have a 1913 Edwardian red brick house. I've bought a dozen bags of gravel and still haven't found the right one. The golden gravel looks terrible, greys look depressing and pinks jar too much with the red brick! We are leaning towards Cotswold stone but I'm concerned this is too traditional (the rest of our landscaping is contemporary). I've concluded I don't like gravel but having spent £££'s on the rest of the landscaping gravel is my only option. Sorry I can't be helpful but sometimes it's nice to know your not the only one having a dilemma!
  • louiseconnolly1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much for you advice! We're still undecided but swaying more towards the grey at the moment...now just to find the right colour grey! Hope your project worked out well :)

• campo73
    5 years ago
    Hi Louise I think grey is a good choice. We didn't go for Cotswold as we were told it is not suitable for driveways. Went for a mixed colour of greys and off whites ( actually looking closely it has lots of different colours). I just love it, watching 10 ton of gravel land on the driveway was nerve racking but the transformation was really quite something. Photo below of our driveway.

http://www.normanemerson.com/images/imgs_stone/gravel/Norman-Emerson-Limburg-Gravel.jpg (It looks nothing like the picture in this link!)
Ireland
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.