dipandie

Double sided woodburning stove/room divider query

dipandie
8 years ago
Hi
We are building a new house with a large kitchen/diner/lounge. The full length is approx. 11498 with the stove positioned in the centre at 5050 in from the back window. The back window is a double height window. In our plans the stove goes up to the top of the vaulted ceiling - we had planned on a inset double sided stove (encased) to act as heat and room divider. However, now we are concerned that we will block the large back window and view with this divider. However, we do need a room divider as otherwise the room will be look like a hall. So, one idea is a stove encased in a block to approx. 1.5m height with an exposed flue beyond this. Height in this room (lounge) is 3786. Some ideas of stoves are attached with our house plans. Would welcome your advice! At design stage we were very sure of the stove and now finding it harder to make a final decision! We look forward to hearing your suggestions and ideas!
Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (11)

• minnie101
    8 years ago
    Hi. How wide is the room? Do the windows go completely across at the back? ( I can't expand the pic at all so it's Impossible to see anything and I may not be alone!)
    dipandie thanked minnie101
  • dipandie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi
    Thanks so much for your prompt reply! Sorry about that will see if I can post in another format. The room is 4610 wide.
  • dipandie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    At the moment the stove is drawn as 1900 wide which leaves 1355 on either side of the stove. And windows at the back are 3000 wide.
  • dipandie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Another option
  • dipandie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much! - great suggestions and convincing me also now to re-think the stove. Have to look for another place to put it. I am going to try and re-scan the plans now so that they can be viewed properly.
  • dipandie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hopefully the attached can be expanded!
  • dipandie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lounge/Diner/Kitchen plan
  • PRO
    The Cosy Stove Company
    8 years ago
    A double sided inset as a feature in the room is easily doable with a Promafour system which is rated to 1000 degrees c. This can be used to easily build a pre fabricated chimney system that a modern style inset can be installed into. The world is then your oyster how you want to change it or modify it. For instance you can create shelving, stop it half way and just have the flue pipe from the top, build log store into it etc etc. See attached for the DG inset tunnel stove. This stove comes in a standard size but the beauty is that it can be made completely bespoke. All the dimensions can be changed to fit any plan or design you may have. I hope this helps.
    dipandie thanked The Cosy Stove Company
  • dipandie
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for your advice and suggestions. We are thinking of retaining it just need to determine height and dimensions. Very much like the simple contemporary style that you show!
  • PRO
    stovedesign
    8 years ago

Hi I build stoves to measure, here's an example in a Swiss skiing hotel where the main lounge has a 2 sided view of the fire and hall/lobby the back. If I can be of assistance...

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.