campo73

Kitchen cabinet paint colours

Helen C
9 years ago
I have to decide what colour to paint my kitchen cabinets by tomorrow! I have decided to paint the island in railings (the dark colour). I now can't decide between Cornforth White or purbeck stone for the units along the back wall.

The a3 sheets are these colours, the darker grey being purbeck and the lighter grey cornforth. The walls are painted in cornforth and the kitchen will be accented with American walnut.

I'll attach some more photos where you can see the kitchen floor a bit better. The worktop will be some sort of white silestone like lagoon. The handles are polished chrome.

The kitchen is only partially built but hopefully it's enough to get an idea of the scheme and light.

Really hope someone can advise, I've definitely got design fatigue and need some help!

Comments (305)

• Helen C
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi carolinehill2 I can't see your photos but your kitchen colours sound very similar to mine. Re splashback I think it looks very sleek if you continue the work surface onto the wall. I'd be less inclined to use worsted coloured tiles as I think railings is the accent colour and they might compete against each other. Also I understand your fear of it looking too brown! Would be good to see photos of the tiles though. Have you considered antiqued glass? If you want a contrast in paint colour to the cabinets I would go for ammonite.
  • carolinehill2
    6 years ago

Hi Campo73! Thank you for your quick reply. I have no idea why they aren't showing as it appeared on my screen when I sent it but will try again!

Great point re the splash back colour competing with Railings. My concerned with antique glass is the worktop has a slight glass effect to it and I don't want the overall look to be OTT! I'll try to re-send photos and would appreciate your suggestions as your kitchen looks gorgeous!

My instinct was to go with Ammonite so good to have someone else suggesting the same.

• Related Discussions

• Deborah Stevenson
    6 years ago
    hi Caroline - the Dekton is lovely. I personally think continuing it up as the splashback would look amazing, give an edge of sophistication without being OTT. photos of my kitchen (on a dull day). cabinets are ammonite which would work well for you. walls are cornforth.
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I agree with dstevenson011 re the splashback. Definitely not antiqued glass as the worktop has a sheen to it. Re paint on the walls any of the colours you have mentioned work. I have cornforth white in a bright sunny kitchen, it is quite pale and there is only a slight contrast between the cupboards and the wall colour. I like that, it is calm and serene. But if you prefer more contrast go for ammonite if you want light and worsted if you want dark. They will both work, I probably wouldn't pick purbeck. Did you attach the tile photo?
  • carolinehill2
    6 years ago

Thanks again Campo73 and dstevenson011! I am now confident after your comments to continue the worktop up the wall. Ultimately , I like my home to be quite simple and accessorize as required.

Dstevenson011, your kitchen is beautiful too! So good to see some real kitchens in my ideal colour palette!

Camo73, I'm glad you mentioned Cornforth appears quite light in a sunny room. I just need to choose my favourite colour between Cornforth white and Ammonite! I will post pictures when it's done.....

• Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Caroline,

If it helps, we are just finishing our kitchen and after much deliberation went with Ammonite for the walls; the back wall is nearly all glazed in one way or another so it's quite a light sunny room. We also went for a pale veined worktop (Unistone Carrera) and continued it up 10cm as a splashback.

Ammonite is a beautiful light grey!

We went for Purbeck stone units in our pantry and whilst it contrasts really nicely with the Ammonite walls it's a much warmer colour and far less bright and airy. I am probably take a pic tomorrow if it helps to see them together.

Best wishes,

Claire

• carolinehill2
    6 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Is that Railings on the unit or Hague Blue? I love how you've bought in some rustic wood touches. I've seen so many lovely solid wood kitchens on this site, I'm beginning to doubt whether I should go handleless now! Our house was built in the 70's so no rustic farmhouse feel here!

It would be fab if you could send pictures of the pantry in purbeck stone. I think the general consensus is a lighter grey on the walls, and I have definitely ruled out purbeck stone except for the cabinets!

• Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago
    Hi Caroline,

Thank you! It's actually Como Blue from Zoffany; I tried all the F&B blues including Railings and Hague Blue and Stifkey but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. This looks really bright blue in the bright sunshine but almost navy in the evening or at night.

Our house is actually 1980's and had a rather terracotta kitchen when we moved in , so it's not genuine farmhouse at all! We just used a fab designer (Gina from Create Perfect on here) and she helped us pull it all together and brought rustic touches in.

Handless is a beautiful contemporary look- I'm sure it will be fab!! :)

I'll try and get a couple of pics tomorrow of the pantry with the Purbeck units and Ammonite walls as only have ones of the shelved wall on here and you can't really see the units.

C
  • Kirsty Riddell
    6 years ago
    I love your pendant lights Claire, where did they come from? I'm looking for something exactly like this for ours and struggling to find something so simple & classic.
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago
    Thank you Kirsty.

Here you go...

https://www.amara.com/products/blown-glass-bell-pendant-bronze

(I love all the lights from Old School Electric- they're beautifully simple! https://www.oldschoolelectric.com )

They weren't particularly cheap but they are beautiful quality.

Best wishes,

Claire
  • Kate Bibby
    6 years ago
    It's been lovely to see this thread resurrected! Oh Claire - your kitchen is beautiful! I've often thought of how it turned out! The light, the style, the colours all just work so well - and your pantry! Massive pantry envy here!!! I can definitely see the benefit of your designer - it looks just like the projection images! Hope you're enjoying your lovely new space! X
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago
    Ah, thank you Kate!

Yes we love it thank you! Still got a few finishing bits and pieces like rugs to buy but we're very nearly there; frustratingly we've now started a complete overhaul / renovation of the master suite on the top floor and my hubby has banned me from buying 'anything decorative not functional' until it's sorted and we see if we have any money left!!!

I always feel like I've cheated in comparison to those of you who have done it alone but having a designer on board was a lifesaver for me! I actually find it quite scary now looking at how ridiculously life like the 3D renders are, when you look at how the rooms were when they were created and it was 3 separate rooms!

I wish more people realised just how accessible and affordable a designer is (certainly before Gina contacted me I thought they were for people with lots of money and it would be really intimidating and way too fancy for us!!) and what a huge difference it makes to your stress levels and enjoyment of a project.

How is everything going with your project??? :) x
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago
    Hi Caroline,

I tried to take a couple of pics of the Purbeck units with the Ammonite walls in the pantry but it's quite tricky as there's a big window in there, so I keep getting shadows!

Here are a couple through, if you look along the edge of the upper unit you can see the contrast quite well.

Have you decided what to go with yet? :)

(Ps I think I read that you've decided against the Worsted colour tiles but if you look at the final pic, it's our utility / dog / laundry room and we went with Worsted on the units and for the built in dog bed down there, as we wanted something much darker and more forgiving because of wet dirty dogs! The walls are still Ammonite so you can see the contrast)
  • carolinehill2
    6 years ago

Sorry for late reply, it's been a crazy day!

Wow, I would never have guessed your house was an 80's house Claire Nicholson! Very impressed. I'm quite enjoying this amateur interior design stuff! Anyway, I think I'll go with Ammonite. I want to introduce some dusky pink accessories i.e.cushions etc to go with a dark navy sofa so I'll keep the rest simple. My husband and I are disagreeing over whether to go with engineered wood (we have some amazing wood flooring in the rest of the downstairs rooms) or tiles. I think we're veering towards the wood as our kitchen will be quite contemporary and it may soften the look slightly. I think I may steal your 'pantry' wall sign idea for our laundry room though!

• Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago

I love dusky pink! We're doing our top floor and master suite at the moment and are going with dusky pink and navy blue accent colours. I'm sure that will look fab!

Are you having underfloor heating?

The pantry and laundry signs on our doors were custom made by inkmill vinyl and they were fab! http://inkmillvinyl.co.uk/

Glad to hear you're enjoying it all- I am sure it will look fab!!! Definitely post some pics!

• carolinehill2
    6 years ago

We aren't going for underfloor heating as the plumbers that came to look said it would require major excavation in some parts of the floor and would end up inconsistent in terms of heat when it was finished.

Thanks for the pantry sign tip! I will certainly post pictures when it's finished, although we will no doubt have to wait a bit until we can afford to furnish the room!

Thanks again for the tips!

• carolinehill2
    6 years ago

I thought I’d update you with our almost completed kitchen. Railings on island, purbeck stone back units, ammonite on the walls. Thanks for your advice!

• michtrue
    6 years ago
    Wow it looks amazing! What flooring did you go for in the end?
  • carolinehill2
    6 years ago

Thank you! It’s engineered wood from a company called Trunk flooring.

• Helen C
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It’s gorgeous Caroline congratulations you must be so pleased. Is the splashback the same material as the worktop-I love it, it looks very sleek. Love the black windows too which balance the room out and frame the view to the garden. And the flooring is perfect. I bet you spend all your time in here now!
  • Kate Bibby
    6 years ago
    Oh my life! Caroline - those worktops! Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous kitchen! Xx
  • carolinehill2
    6 years ago

Ahhh, thank you all. After much deliberation about the worktop, I had a change of heart at the eleventh hour! Originally had planned marble effect but the Purbeck Stone cabinets came out lighter than expected and felt it needed something with a bit more colour. It’s the same all the way up the splashback and is Dekton Keon (a Matt grey concrete effect). I’m very pleased with it despite a lot of nerves as it was our most extravagant purchase!

• carolinehill2
    6 years ago

All I need is bar stools! I’ve seen some online from Rockett St George but would be grateful for any suggestions...

• minnie101
    6 years ago

The kitchen looks great, love the worktop! Something with copper in would tie in with the pendants. I love the shape of the seat on this one from Cox and Cox. Or do you want something with a full back? Which RSG one were you looking at?

• lisamariataylor44
    6 years ago
    Lovely kitchen Caroline. Where are the units from?
  • carolinehill2
    6 years ago

Oooh, I love those Minnie101! The lights are actually a dusky pink but have a very warm bulb which gives an almost copper like appearance. My Hubbie would prefer a back but will show him these as they are gorgeous.

These are are the ones I was looking at. Also in a gold but would worry it’s too ‘gold’ and would be better in more of a copper?

https://www.rockettstgeorge.co.uk/nero-black-metal-bar-stool.html

• carolinehill2
    6 years ago

I actually designed the kitchen myself using an online supplier called diy kitchens. They do bespoke colours, were good quality, the staff were helpful despite not providing a design service and soooo reasonable price wise x

• Helen C
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    These bar stools are nice https://www.nest.co.uk/product/normann-copenhagen-form-bar-stool

I’m a big fan of tan leather with railings but it might clash with the pink lights. Have a look at made.com they have quite a selection and reasonably priced.

Love your worktop, great choice.
  • carolinehill2
    6 years ago

Thanks Campo73! Will take a look.

• j bw
    6 years ago

Hi Claire, Your kitchen /house looks fabulous! We are looking for similar pantry /laundry doors, can I ask where you got them from please. Also what colour are they painted?

• Joshua Simpson
    6 years ago

Could have tried a two-tone strategy they can have surprising benefits.

Link: www.kb-eye.com/focus/5-reasons-two-tone-colour-strategy-can-unlock-potential-open-plan-kitchen/

• Anne-Marie Rafter
    6 years ago

Hi everyone, going to resurect this thread, it's a good one!

I'm building a new house in Dublin at the moment and need to decide on my kitchen unit colours over the next few weeks. Our kitchen is in a south/west facing room - but the kitchen is in the middle of the house (rather than at the end of the room, iykwim!) See attached a kitchen plan with an idea of the layout we'll be going with, more or less (wood accents may be different if we go with them at all).

I've no island, but I'll have a 3m peninsula. I'm sold on the idea of a carrera silestone (with with light marble flecks) and a waterfall edge over the sides. Floors will be oak. Windows in that room will be anthracite grey. I want the kitchen to feel fresh and airy.

I'd love a light, warm grey for the matt, handleless units. I am drawn towards French Grey and Pubrek stone, but not sure if I should go darker on the peninsula, I don't want the kitchen to be bland, but also given it's in the middle of the room, I'm not sure I'll get away with a really bold Downpipe or something similar.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.

• Lorraine Pringle
    6 years ago
    Hi there Anne-Marie, I'm also based in Dublin and commented on this post this time last year. Pic below of my kitchen beforehand to save you going back through the thread to find them.
  • carolinehill2
    6 years ago

Hi Anne-Marie - my kitchen pictures are shown above too but I’ll try to post an up to date one. With your layout, I personally would stick to one colour. I’ve got my handleless wall units in Purbeck Stone and it’s also a bright south facing room with aluminium doors. I actually find on its own the Purbeck Stone quite pale...this works with a Railings island so they aren’t competing. In your case, could you consider something slightly darker without going overboard? Worsted for example is slightly darker than the Purbeck Stone and may be worth considering? It would also make the marble worktops stand out?

• carolinehill2
    6 years ago

• carolinehill2
    6 years ago

• Lorraine Pringle
    6 years ago
    Anne-Marie I went with F&B Purbeck stone on kitchen units (I also went for walnut carcas on the inside of the units, I loved the contrast) and F&B railings on the island, it matched in well with the grey slider backdoors. The railings can look dark grey and can also look dark blue/navy at times depending on the light, I love it!
    For the walls and ceilings I ended up going with F&B All White as I thought the Purbeck really stood out with it and anything grey might darken it.
    I have a tv snug at the other end of the kitchen and I did choose F&B Ammonite for that wall to tie in with the grey tones.
    I went for pencil finish on the stone instead but that's just personal choice and I choose SM Quartz Lyskamm as it had more a grey/blue look to the marbling.
    Best of luck with your project Lorraine
  • Lorraine Pringle
    6 years ago
    These were the after pics I never remembered to put up last year
  • Anne-Marie Rafter
    6 years ago

Thanks guys for the really helpful photos and advice. Lorraine, your kitchen is stunning. What is the flooring if you don't mind me asking?

Caroline, yours is fab too - isn't is amazing how different the colours look in different kitchens. I'll check out worsted, thanks for the tip. I do think the dark peninsula might be too much in that space ... it's not a massive kitchen by any stretch of the imagination!

• Lorraine Pringle
    6 years ago
    Hi Anne-Marie Mine is actually laminite. I went for a laminite in the end as I've young kids and I'll probably replace it in a few years with a solid oak when it won't be destroyed!! The laminate is Bermuda Oak by Canadia (www.canadia.ie for pics) but if I was to replace with solid oak I'd go for Khan Oak or Shadow Oak, which would have been my original choice, both are beautiful wide boards.
  • Lorraine Pringle
    6 years ago
    Also Anne-Marie for what it's worth I think the dark base on your island / peninsula regardless of kitchen size would be lovely too
  • Anne-Marie Rafter
    6 years ago

Do you know Lorraine, we're deliberating over Kahn Oak and Oak Grenoble atm! I must look up Shadow Oak too, is that also Whiteriver?

• jacksplash
    6 years ago

Hi

@Lorraine

Could i ask what your worktop is called,please

• Lorraine Pringle
    6 years ago
    Anne-Marie I'm not sure actually, I just can't recall. I looked at both in the stone rooms in Sutton if that's any help.
  • Lorraine Pringle
    6 years ago
    Hi jacksplash the worktop is SM Quartz Lyskamm
  • jacksplash
    6 years ago

Thank you!

• Linda
    5 years ago

Hi All, I am hoping someone can help me!!!!!!! I recently painted my kitchen units in F&b Cornforth White. I am looking for a colour to compliment on the walls. I don't have a main wall as such i'm painting as going to feature brick effect paper...I have 2 large double sliding doors that open into the sitting room. I have testers of Worsted, but thinking it could be very dark. (the splashback will be coming down) i'm undecided on to go dark or light - plus painter coming tomorrow!!!!

Kitchen units F&b Cornforth White

doors into sitting room

the left is Worsted and right is winter truffle (dulux I think)!

• Sonia
    5 years ago

Hi Linda, would be better if you started your own post separately to this one. This is quite an old post. Easy to do, at the top of the page it has a section where you can ask your question, then I’m sure you’ll have lots of advice!

• audrey_graham52
    3 years ago

• audrey_graham52
    3 years ago

What is the granite colour?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.