jules365

How to furnish this sitting room?

jules365
last modified: 8 years ago
Hi,
Looking for some ideas on how to furnish this sitting room - it's our first house, so we have to start from scratch regarding furniture, but the standard three and two seater sofas would barely make a dent in this room! So it's a blank canvas, and we have no idea where to start!
It's approximately 6.5 m x 4.5 m (~21 x 14 feet), entered via double doors from the hallway. The windows (there are two, on same wall, similar size, although only one shown in the picture) are north facing so not much light to play with.
We already have an "everyday" kitchen/dining/living space as well as a separate dining room, so this will really only be used for occasions when we have people over.
Any ideas on how to set out the space in this room? One idea I had was to have a card table with 3/4 wingback chairs just inside the door with the sofas closer to the fireplace, but I'm not sure how feasible that is. I'm resisting the idea of turning the room into a billiards room as per my husband's suggestion!