cooguehouse

Wrap around porch on 1920s Art Deco country villa

cooguehouse
11 years ago
Have just purchased the above for retirement. have always wanted a wrap around porch. Will it work on this villa? obviously would like to keep the symmetry. Help and advice please.
JackieJ

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    11 years ago
    Are you looking for a wraparound on the upper level or lower? or both?
  • cooguehouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lower. There is already a small Juliette balcony on upper level. It's very pretty, would like to keep it, but may be in way of 'new' lower level porch? If it can be incorporated, excellent. Whole house needs renovating, btw. Major project. 1960'c extension at rear of property needs pulling down also.pic attached. That's the easy part I think. would like to restore the villa to it's original grandeur.....thank you
  • cooguehouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Linda. Yes, that's what I feel as well. But would still love the porch! . The scaffolding at rear was used by last owner to climb on roof for stargazing, I think. Landscaping wise there is over an acre to be done.
  • User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    (this is not Art Deco, it's maybe a sneeze at it). I think a wraparound porch is the only thing that will save this "wonderful" architecture.. The windows are out of proportion. The decor is hideous. I am sorry. The Metal Balcony is the only thing attractive, use the same wrought iron railing for the porch.
  • PRO
    Quality Bath
    11 years ago
    A wraparound porch will change the entire style of the house but will be beautiful. The architecture now is a bit boxy so it would warm it up and be an improvement. It does look like the house needs a lot of work but I think it will turn out wonderful. You may need to custom make the porch railing to match your upper balcony.
  • beattieboggs
    11 years ago
    Wraparound porch is the way to go. It will give it some much needed interest. Are you going to change the exterior paint work too? Is that house in the UK or the US?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Be sure to remove the chain link fencing - #1 most likely item to ruin the value of your home, so expert appraisers say.
  • cooguehouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Will do. There is a seperate cottage on grounds that was used as a dog grooming parlour - the chain link fence enclosed a 'run' for the dogs. Thank you
  • cooguehouse
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Aggie and QualityBath. Will match everything up as suggested. Wish me luck!
  • beattieboggs
    11 years ago
    Thanks Cooguehouse! You will end up with a beautiful home and you are so lucky to have a place in gorgeous Ireland. Am quite envious. Will be looking forward to seeing some more photos in the future plus comments.
  • beattieboggs
    11 years ago
    Villa Terra. OMG be still my heart.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    San Francisco Family House · More Info
    Art Deco · More Info

Definitely art deco. This is a hard one. From houzz pictures, it looks as though you could extend the Juliet floor out and then add a roof but a builder would have to figure that one out. You could have another roof line on the side and have your porch there and access it from inside, which might turn out even better as you would have a great summer entertaining spot. Have you put in Art Deco in exterior photos? Great ideas.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.