tommyflan

POLL: TV in the bedroom - yay or nay?

Tom Flanagan
9 years ago
For many it's a perfect way to relax, but for others it's a romantic faux-pas more than anything. So, is a TV in the bedroom a good or a bad thing? Do you have one in your bedroom?

Leave us your reasons and let us know why it's good or bad!
Fulham House · More Info
Yes why not?
No it's a bad idea

Comments (51)

• tavolla
    9 years ago
    Bad very bad....we have a singe TV in the living for all the family and i think that some times it can distact us ( wrong way )....so imagine if you have to put it in the bedroom!!!!!
    Tom Flanagan thanked tavolla
  • abi3624
    9 years ago
    I have a tv in my room
    Tom Flanagan thanked abi3624
  • abi3624
    9 years ago
    32 inches
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    9 years ago
    Haven't had a TV in the bedroom room since I flat-shared in my 20s and even then didn't like to watch it in there much. I agree with tavolla ... partly as it often separates people from each other in the house and partly because like to keep the bedroom for sleeping, quiet time and talking/ intimacy ... in all the different ways so no electric/techie stuff ... no phones, games, TV etc othrwise it changes the feel of the room.
    Tom Flanagan thanked Stella Michael
  • Lexi Revellian
    9 years ago
    Bad for your back. Plus, no one ever said on his or her deathbed, "I only wish I'd watched more television..."
    Tom Flanagan thanked Lexi Revellian
  • PRO
    Button & Sprung
    9 years ago
    I don't think a television in the bedroom is conducive to a good night's sleep.... it should be a technology free zone. Far better to wind down for sleep with some bedtime reading.
    Tom Flanagan thanked Button & Sprung
  • Momof5x
    9 years ago
    We never use to have a TV in the bedroom but now and days it seems to be the trend. We always watch TV in the family room, I don't watch it as much as hubby unless a specific program I like comes on . Men in my family like TV in room to keep up with live football-especially, the World Cup, which can be on at all hours, owing to different time zones.

It doesn't bother us much as we don't have the TV on much but it has it advantages if family members visit, at least when we do retreat to our rooms and let family have TV, we have another if we need to watch anything.
    Tom Flanagan thanked Momof5x
  • Vicki Brown
    9 years ago
    I have one just for the odd occasion. Lazy Saturday morning watching cookery programmes. Cold winter evening with the kids in my bed watching Christmas dvd's or a late night film on a weekend all snuggled up ☺️
    Tom Flanagan thanked Vicki Brown
  • alant1000
    9 years ago
    I don't have one in my room but that's more down to not getting round to buying one. It's the place for relaxation and I relax when watching TV, win win.
    Tom Flanagan thanked alant1000
  • Sarah Groves
    9 years ago
    We don't like watching TV. So we don't have one.
    Tom Flanagan thanked Sarah Groves
  • sosser
    9 years ago
    Essential for Sunday afternoon films when avoiding the football
    Tom Flanagan thanked sosser
  • Milena Murton
    9 years ago
    I think Its bad idea to have a tv in your bedroom . I use to have one till the middle of the summer , but never use to use it as much , I decorate our bedroom with my husband and just give it a way , sense that I find it more relaxing and better place ! If I want to watch something I can do that downstairs !
    Tom Flanagan thanked Milena Murton
  • louise hicks
    9 years ago
    We have a huge tv in our bedroom and love it. We tell everyone else we're tired, then have some us time. We sneak in a big tub of ice cream and maybe the odd glass of wine. It's like being in a hotel with room service. We cuddle up and watch soppy films. When you have a hectic life it's nice to chill with the one you love without an audience.
    Tom Flanagan thanked louise hicks
  • PRO
    Overmantels
    7 years ago

We actually started making our standard mirrors into TV mirrors to resolve this exact discussion. It gives you the best of both worlds, a TV when you want it and a beautiful mirror when it's turned off: [Bedroom TV Mirrors[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/archtop-tv-mirrors-prvw-vr~15571544). Admittedly TV Mirrors are most popularly placed above a fireplace in a sitting room, but work just as well in a bedroom or bathroom.

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    7 years ago
    The bedroom is a sanctuary for rejuvenation, rest and peace. TV is for living room only
  • Craig Warwick
    7 years ago
    For a master bedroom, I think it's a no. Though, if you're house sharing or a teenager then never say never.
  • Stephen Edwards
    7 years ago

I had one until recently, I have just given it away after realising that I have not used it in over a year.

• PRO
    Infiniti2
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

TV in the bedroom - this is up to the customer ...................

but we have not been tasked to do this very often. We are asked to design/build in TV into our wardrobes so they are not visible or so that they are covered by the sliding / hinged doors.

They work particularly well with a chimney breast in the middle so the TV can be mounted on the shallow wall with sliding doors straight across the room, wall to wall - this also makes the room look larger.

• lisa77226
    7 years ago
    No way! If I want to be lazy and lie down to watch tv I either l do it on the sofa or once in a while watch on a device (laptop/iPad). I won't allow them in kids rooms either.
  • Kate
    7 years ago
    Surely it is the decision of the adult in that room. My preference is to have one as the noise actually helps me sleep. Each to their own.
  • User
    7 years ago
    When it comes to a tv in a bedroom, I would say if you have a living room big enough for the whole family then leave it downstairs. I have a PC monitor and TV in my room, I dont use the TV much, mainly the PC. What I've found is it's harder to sleep after using them before bed. The bonus is, if friends or family come over there's a big space to watch movies / play games.
  • Tim Price
    7 years ago

After resisting it for years I finally relented and installed one. It hasn't been switched on this year. That said it is about to get some heavy use as my wife is soon to be operated on and will be bed ridden for a while as a result while things heal. I think it will be the difference between sane and insane for the 2 of us during this period!

• biigem
    7 years ago
    Bedrooms should be a sanctuary for sleeping above all else. If you must have a tv in there, a concealed option would be a good choice. Upmarket hotel rooms can offer examples of bedroom furniture that integrate a concealed tv, minibar etc.
  • Jayk
    7 years ago

We have a TV in our bedroom and each guest bedroom plus one in the kitchen. Each comes with an on/off switch so you can choose how to use them!

• angelboyman
    7 years ago

We live in a big old cold house that's expensive to heat with oil. For years we resisted putting a TV in the bedroom but after one mean winter we decided to put one in our bedroom and snuggle up under the duvet to watch TV. It's a nice escape from the kids every now and then when they take over the TV in the living room. It's only a 32" and we've no intention of getting a bigger one - makes me wonder how on earth I managed with a 14" TV in my bedroom as a kid!

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    7 years ago

We have a small one, and it is nice every once in a while - but I think it has probably been 6 months since we've used it!

• PRO
    Isidora Markovic
    7 years ago

I have seen quite a few articles about healthy sleeping habits which encourage to keep a bedroom for its intended purpose - sleeping only! However I have to admit I am partial to having a TV in there.

• Jayk
    7 years ago

I quick review of the replies so far suggests it's roughly 50/50 for and against with perhaps a slight leaning towards "against". A rhetorical question - does reading a book just before you go to sleep contravene the sanctity of the bedroom?

• PRO
    Secret Linen Store
    7 years ago

TV in the bedroom is always a bad idea... it stops you getting the proper rest that your bedroom is made for and will affect your sleeping pattern if you become used to your bedroom being a place to lounge and watch TV. It was one of our biggest tips when we put together our list of essential tips for better sleep.

• PRO
    PAVZO Photography and Film
    7 years ago

Great idea of commenting that. I personally don't have a TV myself for the last 17 years, so strongly support no TV's in my bedroom at all. :-)

• User
    7 years ago
    Why would you want a TV in the bathroom?
  • PRO
    AV Genie Ltd
    7 years ago

Yes, why not bring technology to a place where we spend a third of our lives?

• PRO
    Mille Couleurs London
    7 years ago

Why not? When done well it can compliment the room

Home Cinema · More Info

• Tim Price
    7 years ago

@Jayk, I know you said rhetorical, but it is worth noting that people will argue that a book helps you to go to sleep while a TV with the sounds and flashing light effects going on does the opposite.

I did wonder whether it was worth asking about bed-sits as there a TV in the living room is automatically in the bedroom too.

• Jayk
    7 years ago

Whilst I have a TV in the bedroom I don't watch it last thing at night. I prefer to read a book - albeit an eBook. My problem is not going to sleep - it's staying awake!

Having lived in a bedsit I can confirm it's a life of many compromises but a TV isn't automatically on. It requires human intervention.

• Jayk
    7 years ago

In my last post I think I should have said "My problem is not not going to sleep - it's not staying awake!". I think that's right now. Quite a lot of "nots" there.

• User
    7 years ago

When and if I make it to my 90's I will have one, but not before.

• PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    7 years ago

I definitely say NO to TV, mobile phone, computer or any kind of electronic devices in bedrooms. They all produce a very subtle magnetic radiation which effects people while sleeping. / Marcin

• Dian Subiakto
    7 years ago
    is good to have TV in bedroom.. love to spend time in the bed and love to watch news especially my lazy time!
  • championcat
    7 years ago

we have a tv in our master bedroom. Much as I hate the idea, the reality is great. How many evenings have I gone to bed early and nodded off in front of the telly. And it's great on weekend mornings for a slow start. The kids love a special treat of a movie in our bedroom on a saturday night

• PRO
    S&S Joinery
    7 years ago

I would say yes as long as it can be hidden away when finished.

• PRO
    Ecoflap
    7 years ago

I'm not a big TV watcher and would dislike the intrusion in quiet space.

• rach1922
    5 years ago

I gave my tv away 4 years ago. Very liberating.

• PRO
    PictureFrame.TV
    5 years ago

We have been installing TVs in bedrooms since the inception of our business in 2011. TVs can be quite obtrusive, but we ensure they fit into the decor without compromising the design of the room. Our Vanity MirrorTV blends in perfectly.

NEW Vanity MirrorTV · More Info

• PRO
    Hampstead Design Hub
    5 years ago

I think it's a personal desision. There is nothing wrong to have a TV in the bedroom and also nothing wrong not to. Some people have a TV in every room and some none in all house. I've know both and they both have a good point about this desision.

• gracenoted
    5 years ago

I had a TV in my bedroom for most of my adult life, because I was living in a house share or a studio. Whenever I've lived in my own home - which I have for the last fifteen years - and had a separate bedroom, I've not had a TV in the bedroom. I haven't had one for the last eight years and I would hate to have one again. It's sort of intrusive and it has a negative impact on my sleep. I have a radio next to my bed and will listen to that quietly because it can be soothing. I love watching TV, just not where I sleep.

• minipie
    5 years ago

I wouldn’t as I think they’re ugly. For the few occasions I might want to watch something in bed, I can use a tablet.

Having said that, if I had teenage kids and only one sitting room, I can see the appeal of a separate place to watch my own choice of TV in peace.

• Rose Williams
    5 years ago

In the guest bedroom, teenagers room ... so they can all go watch weird stuff or soap operas elsewhere (eastenders, doctors, corrie etc would make my tv explode is what I tell them haha)... In the age of bluetooth speakers attached to tablets etc, there are many more places to go watch something.

• liz gear
    5 years ago

No to having TV in a bedroom and same goes for kitchen.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.