pamela_ontiveros

Florida condo - dated kitchen

Pamela Ontiveros
9 years ago
We recently purchased a condo in Florida. It is in pristine condition but needs to be updated. I really want to keep the floors light so I need advice on the cabinets and countertops. We will be getting new appliances too.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Vita Nova Mosaic, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Hi Pamela,

Congratulations on your purchase. We think a kitchen mural could liven up your kitchen space. Are you going for a more modern or a classic style? Here are two modern ideas to consider.
    Pamela Ontiveros thanked Vita Nova Mosaic, Inc.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    A medium brown stain for the cabinets works well with light flooring.
    Pamela Ontiveros thanked Dytecture
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Depends on how much you want to spend. You could get ceramic plank floors for a big updated look. Much classier than the white tiles.

Paint cabinets. Change knobs.

Replace counters granite, soapstone. Appliances, sink and faucet in stainless.
    Pamela Ontiveros thanked leelee
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would paint the cabinets white (will make the backslash feel more modern, as you didn't mention they would be changed) and replacing hardware and faucet will also make a big difference. I would go with dark grey quartz on the counter and white on the island for interest (I saw an additional counter and assume it's an island?) If there is a fixture in the ceiling, up date and you could add a runner on the floor and/or paint the wall a soft blue/green for color.
    [houzz=
    Classical Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    Pamela Ontiveros thanked Maureen
  • User
    9 years ago
    I have had light color floors in the kitchen and they are a bear to keep clean. If you are set on keeping the light floors, then your cabinets arent too bad a color. If you decide to have them painted, I agree with others here, they could be white or some Florida color on some cabinets! That would be fun. You can update by changing your backsplash and counters. I would put a darker granite or quartz counter in. Change out your cabinet knobs and sink. If you are getting stainless steel appliances, get a s/s sink and cabinet knobs. You could add Florida colors in accents if you wish. Is your kitchen on the west side of the condo? If so, you will be getting a tremendous amount of sun in the afternoons. You will have to keep that in mind with your color and material choices. Lots of sun can reflect on certain countertop colors and finishes. You would need sunglasses to cook! (just kidding). I have a condo in Florida too and the afternoon sun is quite bright, sometimes I would have to pull the blinds so i could see. Also, the sun will fade fabrics, so choose fade resistant fabrics.
    Pamela Ontiveros thanked User
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Dark stain, satin nickel hardware = instant upgrade:
    Pamela Ontiveros thanked groveraxle
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 years ago
    I see it painted white cabinets, glass or chrome knobs and pulls, and a shimmering small tile backsplash in watery colors. All very neutral and beachy. Good luck!
    Pamela Ontiveros thanked Craig CraigMDesigns
  • Pamela Ontiveros
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions! I'm anxious to get started!
  • acm
    9 years ago
    I would paint, but I'd keep the wall tile and just do a bright, sunny, Florida color -- yellow or green, maybe! :) second choice would be a very light gray.

Holiday · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen with island · More Info

House in Kfar Tavor · More Info

Stevenson · More Info

Hawthorne Custom Kitchen · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Beverly Place - Kitchen · More Info

Vermont Farmhouse Remodel · More Info

Handmade Bespoke Kitchen - Chesterfield 'Classic' · More Info
    Pamela Ontiveros thanked acm
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.