hhuang2620

Which tile to chose? Please help?

hhuang2620
9 years ago
For my master bathroom, I have decided to go with white cabinets and a carrera marble counter top. The question now is the tile. The tile will be used for the dry floor area of the bathroom, the wall base of the tub and the shower walls. Below are some pictures for comparison. I am debating between 4 color tiles.

1) The darkest is called "Taupe", its a brownish grey
2) The second darkest is called "Cactus Brown", looks like its light brown with a hint of grey
3) The 3rd is called "sand" and its like a beige color
4) The fourth is the lightest called "alabaster"

I am leaning towards cactus brown or sand but concern is that the marble does not match as well. The darkest "Taupe" seems a little too dark and alabaster seems too light with the white cabinets.

Appreciate all opinions....thanks

Comments (96)

• hhuang2620
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    rocketjcat, thanks for the input...yes they all have tints of brown...alabaster is probably the least given its essentially off white...however, as i mentioned the builder and the community i am building only offers these 4 tile selections if i want more modern style tile
  • gmarie
    9 years ago
    If you are putting that tile on the floor as well as the shower walls then I would go with the alabaster. Otherwise, if it was just the floor, I like the taupe for some contrast or the alabaster if you don't want contrast.
  • Related Discussions

Help.... with contemporary Kitchen colour and tiles!

Q

Comments (1)
    We are thinking maybe a terazzo tile of some sort- one that integrates the red, black and white, and beige (from the wood floors adjacent). This could pull it all together, for one cohesive room! See images.
    ...See More

Please help me rejuvenate unused patio area

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Antoinette I too live in Ireland in a Semi Detached. My husband who's the one with green fingers has transformed our garden into an oasis you wouldn't think we lived in a housing estate. You might start with cleaning the slabs. You could change the edging tile with a contrasting one to set it off. Use different sizes and colours of pots. A seating area in one section. Use lots of different colours and plants which are ok to grow in pots. Just seeing all the colours come to life in Spring and Summer will cheer you up. Here are some photos that were taken at the end of summer last year the leaves have started falling from the trees. Oh yeah still have the clothes line up too.
    ...See More

Please help me pick splash back and paint

Q

Comments (6)
    The color of cabinets looks yellow in picture...if it is ivory then any color you like would work...color is very personal and should relate to you and the rest of your home...try using houzz photos of kitchens to get ideas of which colors appeal to you
    ...See More

Please help with kitchen flooring

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a similar kitchen although the work tops are not dark. We have a light, white/Ivory tile on the floor. Looks lovely and bright, especially for our small kitchen.
    ...See More
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    What style is your bath going to be? Modern? Traditional or ?
  • needdechelp
    9 years ago
    I am not a professional nut it is easy to see that none of those tiles work with that countertop. Maybe change the countertop to something else or look at other tiles the builder offers even if not modern they may work better than these 4.
  • hhuang2620
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    As the builder I am using is a production builder and not a custom builder I am limited to materials I can use but the goal is to make it as modern/contemporary as possible. Attached are two photos. One is the layout of the master bath...the second photo is a picture of home with the same master bath layout (they obviously used materials that I personally would not have used) to show you the bath tub base wall.

The issue is the tile i chose will be used for the bathroom floor, shower walls and bath tub base. If i were to use different tile for the floor and the shower walls, what would I use for the bath tub base wall?

I also have a separate question. If you noticed the bath tub base deck in the sample photo you will notice they used granite/marble for the tub deck. I have an option to use the same carrera marble for the tub deck or use the tile for the tub deck. Attached is a 3rd photo to show you the tub deck using tile as an example...any thoughts on this?
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Please do not put anything that has a beige/yellow tint to it - take your cue from the Carrera marble which has white and grey tones. I would advise you to get a new selection of floor tile samples.
  • hhuang2620
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rebecca, so not even the alabaster?
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    I continue to be amazed by the willingness to pay for inferior kitchen and bathroom materials in new construction, because "that's all the builder offers".
    It means that the builder believes that he/she can buy cheap materials in bulk and then stick all the buyers with these "choices".

I think we will see less and less of this attitude in the future, as consumers become more aware of their options.
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    To be honest, these floor tiles have been used to do death - I see them everywhere and yes they are very budget-friendly as @sstarr infers above. The marble you chose is both luxurious and classic - while the tiles are trendy and contemporary. So I would still advise you to look for something else. Even a 20x20 solid and polished floor tile (porcelain but looks like marble) would be better.
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Of the available choices, I think the taupe contrasts best with the marble. If the entire front of the showers is glass, and only the two corner walls are tiled, I don't think the shower will be too dark. There is a window in the room, lots of wall space which can be painted a light shade, and white cabinets. Seems like enough to contrast/balance a darker tile. A shame that you have no other choices- so many great tile styles, sizes and colors are out there.
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    I do not really know the size of your bathroom so again its really hard to recommend. However just knowing that you have a carrera marble I would not choose any of those tiles. Its best to go lighter.

J Design Group, Miami Interior Designers - South Beach - Coral Gables - Sunny Isles - South Miami - Miami - Pinecrest - Williams Island - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • hhuang2620
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    J Design...when you say go lighter what do you mean? would go with alabaster if it had to be one of these 4 tiles?
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Wow, that's a huge bath, and going to be huge expanse lot of marble and tile! Rebecca Mitchell said it perfectly. The tile really does not tie in with the marble. What does the builder offer that is not so 'modern' that might work better? Or if you're in love with the tile, what other type of counter does he offer that would go better with tile?
  • Lee Weber
    9 years ago
    Find a similar tile in a grey tone rather than a taupe tone.
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Taupe...then cactus brown!
  • hhuang2620
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    the difficulty is I am sitting in Hong Kong and the house I am building is in Florida. While I did spend a few days in the design center to shortlist materials, finalizing the choices and exploring other options while not being on the ground is difficult. Let me ask my color coordinator at the builder to send me pics of other marble, granite, or quartz countertops that may work with the white cabinets and tile better. I will revert with more photos of options later. Another option is to scrap the tile for the floors and shower and upgrade to marble for everything...pricey but just a thought
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    Yes, all marble would be beautiful. Of the choices you "have", alabaster is by far the best, as it will be the least noticeable.
    There are so many beautiful, simple porcelain tiles available currently, it is unfortunate that you are being coerced into this selection.
  • hhuang2620
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    sstar, concern is marble is slippery...
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    Indeed, it can be slippery, unless you use a honed, not polished, marble.

Personally, I would use tile.
    Maintenance is much easier with a modern tile product. Many great manufacturers have options for multiple finishes in a given pattern. Often, there are three: rough, honed, and polished.
  • gmarie
    9 years ago
    I don't think you need to do all marble for your bath. There are so many beautiful porcelain tile choices that would go lovely with your marble countertops & white cabinets. It's difficult to choose while in a different state. I designed an entire house in Fla while living in another state but I flew down every few weeks to make selections & check on progress. I did choose my quartz counters locally & simply found a place to purchase where I was building. Obviously you are very far away but you can try making selections locally. So difficult sometimes when looking at pics. Just not the same as in person but with some things that can work.
  • gmarie
    9 years ago
    Marble is very slippery!
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Grout lines will help you from sliding on the marble---just nothing bigger than a 13" tile.
    Perhaps, you should reconsider your countertop material and go with the easy to maintain porcelain tiles and something else besides marble....... Just a suggestion. :)
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    Since working from such a distance is an issue, why not hire an interior design firm to help you? Can you get a flooring credit from the builder, and then choose whatever tiles you want? A designer would be a pretty logical option to me in this kind of scenario. We did exactly that when we renovated our FL condo since we live in Canada, and it was money well spent.
  • hhuang2620
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Just had a brilliant idea. Lots of people have said the taupe tile is nice for contrast. What if I used the taupe tile for the floor and instead of tile for shower walls and floor and tub base I used carrera marble? This way the bathroom will be essentially white a niners with carrera marble shower and tub base and taupe tile floor. Thoughts on this? Or perhaps I just splurge and use carrera marble for the floor too. How will this look? Good? Slippery concern?
  • amolphanse
    9 years ago
    i would not go with any of the colors. instead you could actually try some beige colored tile. the tiles which you have selected look good initially but then eventually start appearing gloomy and repetitive. go for something different, if its possible.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    hhuang, what a brilliant idea. Of course I would think so since I mentioned it yesterday morning : -)
    hhuang2620 thanked leelee
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    A medium gray tile or plank would work perfectly for the floor. Either that or white. Your builder is trying to offer you a tile in a certain price range. Surely he (she) would work with you if you wanted to choose another tile in roughly the same range.

Here's a gray slate tile.
  • alwaysdesigning
    9 years ago
    I also have white cabs, Shaker style, and honed Carrera marble. I chose dark grey Interceramic plank tile. The style name is Tessuto, which is a linen look texture and very easy on the budget. I like the contrast of dark and light and it works with the marble so well. Good luck
    hhuang2620 thanked alwaysdesigning
  • diyher
    9 years ago
    hhuang2620, if you feel the builder choices are not what you want for your kitchen, a lot of builders will give you credit and let you purchase your own. Some will even let you purchase and they will install. We did some things for our house 20 years ago when it was built. Also, I wish I had done more. Later found out others in the community had money taken off for not installing builder choices for the carpet, but chose their own and as long as it was installed by the time of settlement, the bank was fine with it.
  • PRO
  • Chantal Rochat
    9 years ago
    I vote for taupe.
  • Ilana Buchsbayew
    9 years ago
    I think taupe would be the more dramatic choice (i personally prefer) but caucus brown seems a bit more of a natural choice. Like it just "goes."
  • PRO
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Hey hhuang what did you decide to go with? Any updates?
  • Connie Bundy
    9 years ago

I like the alabaster. The others are too brown to use with the marble. Since these are your choices, I think it's best to go light on something that will be there for years & years. No one wants to get ready for the day in a dark bathroom, IMHO.

• Connie Bundy
    9 years ago

Oops, just saw the dates on this post. What was your final answer on the tile?

• LORDON Lane
    9 years ago
    Definitely taupe. it'll also hide dirt better
  • cdpearman
    9 years ago

I agree completely with leelee and makaloco :)

• rocketjcat
    9 years ago

Old post.

• hhuang2620
    Original Author
    8 years ago

here is an update....decided to go with cactus brown...

• mblues18
    8 years ago

go with the cactus brown… the dark one will show all the dust and water spots. Like the contrast of the cactus brown with the marble and white cabs. good luck.

• hhuang2620
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks i did go with cactus brown as you can see if my pictures of the bathroom that is still under construction...thanks for all the help!

• LORDON Lane
    8 years ago
    WOW! looks amazing. how tall r ure ceilings? either ure cabinets r low or uve got great ceiling height.
  • hhuang2620
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! Ceiling height is 10ft with center being coffered ceiling up to 12ft

• Rhonda Engala Furno
    8 years ago
    cactus
  • LORDON Lane
    8 years ago
    love tall ceilings. can't wait to c the finished room.
  • Maraly Wagner
    8 years ago
    Dk gray.
  • mozzie73
    8 years ago
    Cactus brown
  • Shredder
    8 years ago

I'm liking the darkest toned tile; the taupe. Too bad your builder doesn't have more selections. Is there a way he can give you a credit for what the tile would cost, and then you could go purchase your own tiles for him to install? If the builder allows that - I would certainly go with a darker grey/charcoal color that better matches the veins in your marble. That would be very dramatic!

• hhuang2620
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the comments guys. I've actually already decided to go with the cactus brown. I posted an update message a few messages above with pictures of the bathroom

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.