lisa_mcmahon

New sofa style

Lisa McMahon
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I need help with choosing a sofa for our open plan kitchen, lounge & dining room. The lounge area has a tv & stove and saw a lovely corner brown leather sofa but not sure if it's too big for the space - it's hard to decide without seeing it in the space. I cut out newspapers in the size of the sofa we like and have placed it in the area we want to have the sofa. We want it facing the tv & stove - which are directly opposite the cream bookcase.

Comments (81)

• apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Oh, two kids, no cream. I suggest each adult choose a recliner in a medium patterned fabric, then add a washable slipcovered loveseat. Or your original idea of a sectional but in medium tan would be fine, too.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Y'know, I think there is a huge market for recliner sofas that are not bulkier than The Hulk. But I don't see them here in the US, either. Lazyboy has dozens of gigantic sofas scaled for Texas McMansions, not designed for smaller houses. They have a much better selection of individual recliners that are smaller in scale but quite comfortable.
  • Related Discussions

Could I achieve this look successfully with this sofa?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks everyone! The sofa is camel/gold, it photographs lighter than it actually is. I think the best thing to do might be to go with it and see if I can love it as is. If not I can have the cover made.
    ...See More

New house, new baby no time

Q

Comments (12)
    If painting, use low VOC paint. When replacing things, look for low, or non outgassing furnishings. No sharp corners on tables etc. Choose safety features on blinds to eliminate strangling on cords. Non breakable ornaments/bowls down low. Breakables and hot coffees up high. A chest for toys, but sand down sharp corners. A small chair. Any tall furniture should be affixed to wall with brackets. Don't be in a tearing hurry to remove all kitchen walls that can have a baby gate attached to them. Burns by scalding in kitchens kill and maim.
    ...See More

Sofa Dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    Maybe an L shaped, with no back on one part of the L, this backless part in front of the windows so the view/light isn't blocked. Its hard to tell if you can fit a 2 seater in as opening to RT would be blocked also... so maybe 2 neater comfy chairs ...you might fit a love seat in. Sometimes a skinny console table with a lamp etc is nice to have against the back of the sofa as it can help define the 2 different areas.. just my thoughts. I think that's concrete floor? you can draw your dimensions before you buy to see if they'll work..
    ...See More

Where to buy Hamptons sofa¿

Q

Comments (0)
    I am looking to style my new home in coastal hamptons style, i live in Ireland. I'm so obsessed with those navy-stripeystripes-duck egg blue with contrast piping couches, but cannot find any store that have them. Please maybe somebody came across with one or where to order from thanks
    ...See More
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ezliving.ie harveynorman.ie caseys.ie are 3 websites that we could buy from.
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The tv is next to the stove so moving the dining area is not an option
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Budget €1500
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I'll be out and about for several hours, but would love to vote on a favorite later on if you find and post pics of some other options you like that would fit the space.
    Lisa McMahon thanked Ann
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Definitely look for an apartment/loft size sectional. I think the flex or bi-sectionals that allow you to reverse the chaise portion from left to right would be optimal in your space and would allow you to change things up from time to time.
  • PRO
    Cure Design Group
    9 years ago
    I would go with something more lower profile and streamline. West Elm, Crate&Barrel have great options that aren't so dated looking...
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Lisa, I am not the recliner type (I find them a bit dated), I much prefer the modern ones that allow you to watch tv comfortably or simply lounge with a cuppa and a magazine. I suggested the Ektorp from Ikea because it has washable covers and even in the white they wash beautifully and your sofa will look nice all the time even with your little treasures. A very common misconception is that if we have children we need to have black and brown hence why most of the houses we visit have the standard chocolate/black leather sofas. Your space will look so much better with something light as the space is not huge so a large expansion of dark will make it look smaller. I sat on the Ektorp and is comfy, my friend has 3 boys and they have the white one, she loves it and it looks the same 5 years later. She bought two sets of covers as she thought they would get wrecked and after all tis time she hasn't used them. Do a google search on Ikea Ektorp and read the good reviews. For the price they can't be beat.
    And with some good plump feather cushions behind your back will feel supported I guarantee it :)
    Sorry if I come across to passionate (slightly deranged xx)
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok have looked at ikea and the 2 seater ektorp might work - just how is it for back support ? The back cushions look like the type that could lose their shape and collapse ? Back support is really important to us. Have read lots of positive reviews of being easy to clean - great family sofa etc but no mention of back support in reviews ?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Monica mentioned getting back support form additional cushions, so your guess that it won't work well may be founded on fact. Look at the Jane sectional from Gus Modern.
    Jane Bi-Sectional Sofa, Urban Tweed Ink · More Info
  • Snaggy
    9 years ago
    it will dominate the room !
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    The Ektorp looks nice, but I have no experience with it so no clue about the back support Lisa.
    Lisa McMahon thanked Ann
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    The Jane is supposed to be more of a loft/apt size than the typical Gus.
    Lisa McMahon thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Lisa, I cannot comment on support as that is a very personal thing, I would suggest go and try it out. I feel really comfy when I sit in Julie's Ektorp and I feel well supported( I happen to be very picky about sofas and I had my fair share of rubbish DSF specials), but saying that I never used it to watch tv. Her back cushions or the seats have not collapsed at all even after all this time and she has not mentioned loss of comfort. All of our sofas are feather filled and they just hug you, BUT they collapse every time we use them so they need plumping regularly. However to me there s no better alternative in terms of comfort. What I would say is that every type of foam/filling will collapse in time but to my mind being able to change the back support for a couple of 100 euros in 10 years time is better than changing the full corner unit because its gone soggy and lost its support.
    As for the cushions I mentioned them because with their aid you can increase your comfort to suit you even better and they look good visually if worked into the colour scheme. I prefer a more lumbar support while hubby doesn't need any. Having the cushions there suits us all much better.
    Lisa McMahon thanked Monica
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    I found a pdf that explains the guarantee on the Ektorp http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/pdf/quality_brochures/EKTORP.pdf
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Decoenthusiast Lisa lives in Ireland so she doesn't have any options from the shops you mention. Also I feel a more classic and not so modern shape might work better in her space.
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    A friend of a friend has an ektorp 3 seater so will go visit hers and test it out for comfort - there is only 1 ikea in Ireland, in Dublin which is a 3 hr drive away :( so not as easy to pop in and test out sofas
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice so far - it's been very helpful. Are there any other suggestions to improve that area of the room ? Curtains, rug, pictures ? Besides the chairs I'm not happy with how it looks ?
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    That sounds good Lisa, I appreciate distance is a factor but a trip to Ikea is never a wasted trip *wink*. For the price with the 10 years guarantee and the flexibility, I don't think it can be beat. Now if money was no object I would always recommend a hand made Duresta, or a swanky hand made Andrew Martin :)
    I think once you made a decision re the seating you can move onto the other elements. I love texture and I think a simple seagrass rug will look fab without making the space feel smaller. Layer cushions and a couple of fluffy throws change the curtains to full length ones and a bit more generous than the skinny ones you currently have and your nook would be transformed !!!
  • ashtonchic
    9 years ago
    Ikea has great curtains and drapes...and rugs!!!
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Yeah, certainly drapes in a full length (to the floor) and hung wider (just outside the window edges) and fuller (maybe two panels on each side of the window).
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    They used to be full length but didn't look right so had them shortened ! Maybe I'll make the rail longer as it's adjustable and pull the curtains part a bit more.
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Not sure about that Lisa, they look skimpy and do nothing for your space, you could keep the relaxed feel by having simple linen ones, but double the width for fullness and definitely think of having them long again, they will make the room look taller and much more elegant. Also they need to star just where the window finish to keep the max amount of light in the room.
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Ikea has some decent one for £10/pair you could get 2 pairs and either sew them together or use some wonder web and iron them or simply do what I do and don't bother joining them, bunch them together on the poll :)
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Me too - I just bunch the two panels together on the pole. Lisa, is it safe to have drapes on that window with the radiator there?
  • ashtonchic
    9 years ago
    I was just browsing furniture stores in Ireland online. Oneliving.ie had two recliner type sofas that I thought might work. Check the "Savona" 3 seater w/recliner 1054.95 euros and the "Stanford". Didn't catch the price. Also, you can look at Amazon.uk - they seemed to have alot. Course you can't sit in them..... btw, my son works for Amazon and has been back and forth to Ireland recently doing company stuff. They are building the "cloud".
    Lisa McMahon thanked ashtonchic
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ann I hope so, every window in this house ( which was only built last year ) has drapes over radiators and I don't think it's ever been a problem ?
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks ashtonchic will check out that website to see if they have a showroom.
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Out searching again today - found a more beige sofa - these are both the same material & colour just look different in the light. They are comfortable & price is within budget.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Easy clean?
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Too large for the room, sorry. When the furniture overwhelms the room, it just accentuates the lack of space.
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes clean with damp cloth
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I agree with Nancy.
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Trying to plan a trip to ikea this week as well to test out some more :)
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    I agree these are far to big and still quite dark, sorry Lisa :(
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Hi Lisa how is your quest going? Did you manage that Ikea trip?
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes we went, the ektorp did not provide the back support required, too much messing with pillows to be comfortable. The only other sofa We both loved was the Strandmon but it's not easy clean. So we are still looking, have to try a few more shops but it's really hard work to find something that ticks all the boxes.
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Oh great to hear from you, I think what you need to keep in mind is that the right sofa does exist and you just have to keep the faith and not settle for less. Happy hunting come back and let us know when you do find it :)
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finding it very difficult to find the "perfect" sofa, thinking seriously about this red leather 2 seater and getting 2 of them. They are good with back support, easy to clean with kids and fit our budget so this will probably be the one
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    I like the red color and the back support. How well can two adults sit side by side?
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Can fit comfortably - loads of room.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Excellent. The red leather is a practical choice with kids, too.
    Lisa McMahon thanked apple_pie_order
  • jacksplash
    9 years ago
    Hi Lisa, nice sofa. I had a red sofa for 10 years and loved it ( though mine was fabric) I've changed the kitchen/ living room and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I gave in and put in a grey leather sectional one and I must say it's much easier to decorate around. Are you in Ireland? Have you heard of the 1933 company, they have very nice suites. Red makes a big statement! Just my 2 cents worth, good luck!
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Hi Lisa, have you found what you was after? I would love to see some progress pictures :) Hope you are ok
    M xx
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We got 2 red leather sofas, they were within the budget, child friendly, comfortable and fitted the areas we needed seating for. It was very difficult to find something that met all our criteria and this was the best we could find. It might not be in fashion or trendy but at the end of the day it's our home & am happy with it :) thanks again to everyone for all the advice.
  • Lisa McMahon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More photos
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I think you found the perfect shade and arrangement.....all your rooms work together! Enjoy!
    Lisa McMahon thanked abbyjean
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.