celenecollins_ie

Colour scheme for the front of Irish Pub

I have been asked to assist in the choosing of colours for the front of this pub. I have 13 years experience with designing however, all of them in residential. This has me stumped. There is a lot of detail hidden behind the black. I work as a HomeStager/Interior Designer. Any help with the choice of colour scheme would be very much appreciated. There is a shop attached this is also part of the building. I will be working with Colour Trend or Dulux. Regards, Celene

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Davida's Kitchen & Tiles
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You could use the colors in the Irish flag. All the black could be painted orange and the window panes green, and on the bottom the words and doors could be yellow to match the store to the right. I made a crude drawing in paint for a visual.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    I'd do a google image search on Irish pubs. Pick out a dozen you like with various characters: friendly, brash and loud, historical, cute as a button, whatever. Talk to the owners. Then use an online paint visualizer to choose colors. The yellow "memorial" business next door is going to draw attention, so you have to overcome it.

I'd add window boxes with flowers. People outside should be able to see inside.
  • PRO
    Celene Collins Interiors & Design
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for those comments. I have put together a selection of other pubs and will meet with the client on Friday. I'll keep you posted.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Davida's Kitchen & Tiles, what app are you using to play around with the colors, thanks.
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    No Irish flags please, not very pub like . I agree with apple, get pics of other pubs and see what look the client would like, then tweak colors to give them different palettes. And yes! Any self respecting pub has the best looking window boxes in town. Spilling down from the third floor windows would be spectacular!
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    That looks fabulous handymam.
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    Thank you!
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Very impressed with that Handyman, what app are you using? I am currently using Notes HD
  • User
    9 years ago
    Never been to Ireland but when I think of Irish pubs, I think of rich mahoganies and deep jeweltones. Something welcoming and friendly with a bit of blarney; steeped in tradition with a sense of humor. My quick net search has turned up exteriors of mostly primary hues but a lot is going to depend on what type of clientele the owner wants to attract. I'm not sure that color is going to be your biggest hurdle. I think style is and once you determine that, then choosing the color will follow fairly easily.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much for your contribution whynottryit
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    The app is Draw free, and I am handyMaM, lol! Homestagercork, I am so jealous of all the fun you will be having! If you have a Pinterest account, look up Irish pubs in Ireland and you will have more exteriors than you need to see, lol! However, you are limited a bit by the colors on either side of you. Unless you go full out Irish bright color wild, like the buildings in Kinsale. :) I think colors do matter in this instance more than other instances
  • User
    9 years ago
    One more small but, to me, important point. The exterior should draw you into the pub but I'm not sure, as a customer, I would want those outside to be able to see in, at least not clearly. Pubs seem to me to have a more intimate feel than just a bar and, for some reason, part of the appeal is to find out what's going on inside. It may just be my own quirk coming to the fore but, again, your client can make the call there. Good luck and do keep us posted. :)
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    I hope you will post a pic once the work is completed too. :)
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will for sure handyman, (sorry about that) Check out the Notes HD app too, it's not bad on price either.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Can we assume from your username that this is an Irish pub in the sense of a pub in Ireland rather than an "Irish Pub" located in another country? Nonetheless, I'm submitting two of the latter, one in Mexico and the other in the US. Both chose deep shades of color and some sort of art that represents the name, for whatever that's worth.
  • mefor
    9 years ago
    That town is very colorful, judging by the pics from the website you took the picture from. I'd say that anything goes.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.