helabelalaw

DIY SOS!!

Bella
9 years ago
Doing up a small chalet next month.. But have never done this before! Any advice would be great!
This is a square living room, on the opposite wall is the old kitchen which we have already decided to put in Ivory cabinets with a charcoal grey counter tops!
Was thinking to paint the cabinet to the left of the stove the same ivory colour and match the handle knobs!!
But after that I am stumped with what to do..

Comments (11)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I think you have described the side we cannot see, and I understand you are going for ivory and grey.. on the fireplace side, I would see if you could tear out the cabinets and add more modern shelves with cabinets at the base using ivory colours - this would create more symmetry. You could paint the fireplace dark grey and the walls above ivory (and "lean" a large mirror along the thin mantle. What are you planning to do for the floors? This keeps your colour scheme restrained to add space and continuity. For summer and winter swap out sheepskins and knitted cable blankets for canvas cotton cushions and covers
  • Bella
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for reply! Yeah I just described the opposite to the picture so it would be known what was going on with rest of the room!
    I'm not able to pull out any of the cabinets so I was thinking to paint the cabinet on the left of the stove in this picture to add symmetry to the room..
    It is quite small unfortunately so want to brighten it up!
    Also I haven't decided what to do with the floor but it has to be done too..perhaps a light timber?
  • User
    9 years ago
    DIY without a master plan is a recipe for a disaster. Develop a master plan before you do anything else. Be sure that it includes the bones of the space, like plumbing, electrical, insulation, etc. That's more important to address than the pretty bits that you see on top. If you fail to address the structural and systems issues, it will come back and bite you. If you aren't knowledgable enough to assess and address those issues, then its time for a pro.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    what can you do to even the cabinets out on both sides (ie remove doors on the left hand side and paint the wood one?)
  • Bella
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ASV behind the cabinet on the left is where the hot water boiler is stored unfortunately so I will have to keep the doors on!
    Hence why I am stumped as to what to do to balance the room!
  • Bella
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    SOPHIE All is taken care plumbing, electrics, etc.. Just trying to figure out how brighten and free up this part of the room, thanks
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    I think adding doors would be a boon on the right side, as would painting out the entire wall and adding artwork over the fireplace.
  • Bella
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ASV thank you, yeah that sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately that's the only photos I have atm, will be there tomorrow evening to get some better ones!
    I live in the west coast of Ireland! The view from the window to the right (off picture) looks out over a cliff to a fishing bay! It's pretty spectacular!
    Would u have any advice on flooring for the room?
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    It sounds fabulous!Do you use the stove? If so then your local code might require that you add stone or ceramic around the base of the stove (fire hasard) but you will have to check that out... in fact, why not go for ceramic slate tile and a lovely cream textured carpet? It will tie the whole thing together...However, I cannot say as I don't know if the place is damp or feels damp or on what surface you are tiling? Or wood planks then.
  • Bella
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the great advice!
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.